pixeltracker

Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?

Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?

Yero
#0Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 7:45pm

I just saw JCS at North Shore Music Theatre the other night, and noticed there were a lot of recordings for this show. Which ones should I look for and which should I stay away from?

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#1re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 7:47pm

I have the 1970 Concept Cast Recording on Record.

It is simply fantastic. It's the only recording I can listen to. The "revival" is crap and I cannot stand Ben Vereen on the OBCR (i know... i know)

For me, there will we be no other than:
Murray Head
Ian Gillan
Yvonne Elliman
Mike d'Abo
etc etc

It's a simply stunning album. Did they ever release it on CD?

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

broadwaybound882
#2re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 7:48pm

Definitely, if you have the $, get the Vienna concert album. It is in English and it features the AMAZING Drew Sarich as Judas.

Yero
#3re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 7:48pm

I think the Record was the one my mom had.

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#4re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 7:54pm

They did release the 1970 Concept recording on CD, because I have it. re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording? And, it's definitely my favorite out of the ones that I've heard.
Updated On: 10/8/06 at 07:54 PM

COOOOLkid
#5re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 7:56pm

There are WAY too many JCS recordings...

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:01pm

Yes, there are.

The best one is the 1970 concept recording, hands down.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Yero
#7re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:06pm

It's on iTunes, but it has Ben Vereen as Judas. I know it's the Concept Recording because it's the same one as the one I listened to at Barnesandnoble.com.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#8re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:07pm

Try the Australian arena production.

Maybe one of these days they will work out all the pay problems with it and release it on DVD.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#9re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:11pm

i saw that JCSuperstar at North Shore too! :) aside from the overacting that Judas did i enjoyed it.

i recommend the Concept recording too

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#10re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:11pm

Ben Vereen is only on the OBC highlights CD.

Still, get the concept version. Much better.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#11re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:13pm

I would have to agree, hands down the Australian Cast highlights album of 1992, purple cover Cd, is the best. Updated orchestrations, amazing rock voices and terrific musicians. I used to be in touch with one of the actors on that album and it was a big regret that the whole thing never got recorded or released, but I'll take this anytime!

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

Yero
#12re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:17pm

folkyboy- I actually didn't have a problem with Judas, I didn't noticed any overacting. Rona was a great Mary Magdalene... she has a beautiful voice and was very pretty. Nicholas was amazing too. It was a great show.

Thanks for the help everyone, concept recording it is then!

Updated On: 10/8/06 at 08:17 PM

rosscoe(au)
#13re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:21pm

The whole show was recorded live and was due to be shown on Australian T.V. at the end of '92.

There was a problem with the ensamble not being paid the right amount of money for the taping and the recording.

As i said earlier maybe one of these days they might release the whole show.

It was near perfect the night i saw it.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#14re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:31pm

I like the 2001 SOUNDTRACK the best because it has Tony Vincent on it, but when I'm not listening just for Tony I like the Steve Balsamo set. It would be perfect if "Superstar" didn't fade out at the end and if "The Crucifixion" didn't just randomly cut off the audio at the end as well. It's always sounded to me like that was some kind of glitch.

I've been pondering which live German (sung in English) set to buy from footlight, as there are several, but I don't know which one would be the best fit for me. It would have to be complete and not have any of the songs fade out. otherwise I would feel like I've wasted money.
Updated On: 10/8/06 at 08:31 PM

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#15re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:39pm

I like the original concept recording, and I like the 1996 london for some reason - i think i like the orchestrations. It just strikes me as more "Broadway" than the other recordings - which is both a positive and a negative.

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#16re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:42pm

Hey Roscoe, clue me in here...;

I used to exchange emails with Will Conyers who was in the ensemble on the Cd. I could swear he told me that they never recorded the whole show in the studio, all they did was what was on the highlights album. Are you saying that they actually recorded a performance of this show live?

If so, please keep me posted, I'd love a copy.

Mattbrain
#17re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 8:52pm

Nothin' beats the original.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

rosscoe(au)
#18re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 9:01pm

Have worked with will many times.

Channel 10 ( local t.v station ) recorded the whole show in Melbourne. it was due to screen in October 1992.

Kate's "Everything all right" was released as a single, about 5 days after it's release it was pulled from every store due to the chorus not being paid.

The same thing happened to the live recording ( i was at one of the shows being recorded )

From what i can gather now, the masters are still sitting in Channel 10's officers and Harry M Miller still owns the rights to screen this.

But since they wont pay the ensamble the amount needed, they have held up the release of the cd and dvd.

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#19re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 9:11pm

"But since they wont pay the ensamble the amount needed, they have held up the release of the cd and dvd"

Ouch! That totally sucks! Sorry to hear it.

Thanks for the heads up though. Wish I still had some contact with Will, he was great to talk to. Seems to me I belonged to an Australian theatre yahoo group and that's how I met him, but I don't belong to it anymore. If you still talk to him and he remembers Kathy from NJ, please feel free to tell him I said hi. :)

BDrischBDemented
#20re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 9:11pm

The Concept Recording is really the best, to agree with everything else, but the 1996 London Cast is great with the exception of whoever is playing Mary Magdalene on that album, as she's god awful.

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#21re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 9:37pm

Don't know about that. Thought Joanna Ampil did a terrific job singing Mary Magdalene on that CD and when I got to see her on the West End. As much as I love the original concept album and Yvonne Elliman, her scooping of the notes when she sings bothers me.

Claire Moore does an interesting version on the 20th Anniversary CD, which is not my favorite. She tried to make Mary Magdalene sound like Mariah Carey in that version.

joanna2
#22re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 9:39pm

Definitely, if you have the $, get the Vienna concert album. It is in English and it features the AMAZING Drew Sarich as Judas.

broadwaybound, Drew was actually Jesus at the Vienna concert. He played Judas in Amstetten. And it's only $20some from footlight.com, or it was when I ordered it. Regardless, the Vienna 2005 recording is fantastic if you can get past the crappy Judas!

The Stars R Aligned
#23re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 9:54pm

the original cast album is good and so is the London REvival (i think it is) thats a good one 2!!!
Ben Vereen as Judas is amazing

"Let me see some smiles... Not that phony 'sell-smile.' I want to see that 'I-love-to-dance-smile.'"-Larry, A Chorus Line My bumper sticker in 2100-DISCO STILL CONFUSES ME!!!! Oh by the way, Mr. Green called, he said "Get a CLUE!" Megan-And what about that wierd purple thing on happy meals Me-Grimmace or whatever the heck his name is. Megan-Yeah Me-What is he supposed to be anyways? Megan- I dont know I always thought he was Ronald McDonald's big stupid purple pet or the Hamburgler's hairball

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#24re: Best Jesus Christ Superstar Recording?
Posted: 10/8/06 at 9:56pm

Drew was an AMAZING Judas in Amstetten.

Videos