jaystarr
#1Jaystarr revisited
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:39pm

E1.2
Jaystarr revisited
Xanadu
Helen Hayes Theater
6/23 2 pm matinee performance.
1 hour 30 mins. Tix Price ( I paid -$49.00 thru playbill discount/total of $ 58.00
with all fees)

How would one know if someone is becoming a "fanatic' about a certain show? if youve seen the show 4X or perhaps 5X. I guess I am borderline "fanatic" already with Xanadu the musical which is still in previews but I already made 3 separate trips to NYC for the show alone. (5/27-cxld performance, 6/17-1st time & 6/23 -2nd time) But everytime I watched the show. I fell for it more.

Reference to my First Posting Regarding Xanadu last week :
https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=938866#3098430

Observations:

1. Cheynne Jackson- he was fantastic, beautiful voice, he is very handsome almost beautiful. Personally I found that- him being there on stage clashed with the pretty and sweet Kerry Butler persona. There's these two beautiful creatures onstage , but I felt like as a "pair" there's no chemistry , but a conflict.(Its just my opinion ! ) The "Suddenly" number does not seem right- somehow their voices in the duet , does not blend harmoniously. Kerry Butler has an awesome voice, almost sounding like
Olivia Newton John. Cheyenne voice is incredible. I almost did not appreciate it till he sang the solo, "Dont Walk Away" & "The Fall" I think-- I prefer Cutis Holbrook's Sonny Malone (from last week) vs. Cheynne Jackson's SM (today's) I guess what I mean to say- somehow Cheynne's SM does not compensate Kerry Butle's Kira. I felt like there was a tug of war of two beauties onstage...

Though Cheynnne alone onstage is a different story- he was just great, he could just stand up there and everyone will cheer ! His voice is incredible. At least two two jokes now finally fit Cheyenne perfectly ..A) you must be the tallest boy in your class B) Aphrodite saying.. you know what they say about big hands & big feet - so hilarious! and Did I say that seeing him in those short/short is worth the price of admission. It could be me too- I was probably just pre-set to see James Carpinello (from watching BWW rehearsal video a lot ) and seeing Curtis last week

Personal note on Cheyenne Jackson - At times , I felt a bit distracted with Cheyenne
wearing his short short outfit onstage. He really got this nice legs and nice behind that I kept noticing thru the entire performance (sorry to mention that ! ) I have noticed that his short were just a "little " too tight on certain areas -which is not bad thing Jaystarr revisited that's my personal " tug of war" during the entire show yesterday.
I was wonderin' if he wore James Carpinello's shorts & t-shirt- Its a little "tight" on him-which is on my LIKE list Jaystarr revisited

Minor changes on Cheyenne's Sonny Mallone

a. he was wearing a blue head band bandana.
b. his arm band is yellow & GREEN (now )
c. is it just last week's performance with Curtis
as Sonny Mallone? but when Curtis came out to
do the Xanadu Finale he was wearing a black
short short . Cheyenne only has 1 costume thru
entire show, his cutoff blue jeans and red
shirt. The finale number- he came out with
roller skate, cutoff jeans, red shirt & Xanadu
black jacket.

Minor "Boo-boo" in the Suddenly number- when the telephone booth moved towards the ontage seating (with Kira) pushing it. somehow, it was not on the right spot , so Kerry have to pushed it again, so Cheyenne could sit down and "magically" wear the roller skate.It seems to me that Cheyenne was off-cue with moving the entire telephone booth & Kerry has to make an extra effort to move it on the right spot for the trap door while singing "Suddenly". I thought it was funny ! bec. Cheyenne is so tall & seems his weight is so heavy (for Kerry) that Kerry tried so hard to position the booth all by herself.

2. I was glad to see Curtis Holbrook's tap dancing that I missed last week.

3. Changes in Curtis Holbrook's (Thalia-the muse) costume was changed
(see below for more detailed descriptions)

4. I have learned that James Carpinello might be back but not for a while bec. he has
a cast on his broken ankle or foot. (Poor James)

5. I met Dan Knechtges (chreographer ) which kinda answered some of my things I did not like about the show from last week (Some of the answers did not necesarily came from him directly but from some other members of the cast or just merely an insinuations)

a. Prologue of Sonny's mural-its really a part of the show that they were sitting people onstage and in the orchestra while Sonny Malonne is out onstage already finishing the mural...bec. they wanted the "feel" that the audience is a part of the show.. this was hinted again , when Sonny came to a darken-abandoned Theater called Xanadu and they turn off all the lights only the stage light that Sonny was using as a of some sort of "flash light"

b. "the Dancing" number was really supposed to be a little simple to balance some of the over-the top aspects of the show

c. The Xanadu finale number- after re-watching the show again. I felt like it was just done right. I mean you cannot really do a super production number, where you just had a fan blown at Kerry's hair .

Again. There were still some changes that they were doing on a daily basis which I have noticed on two separate viewings which is a week apart from one another.
I am very happy bec. the production team here were really trying to improve the show and make necessary rewrites rather that calling it quits..

6. Minor changes that I have noticed :

a. I'm Alive Number -which is basically composed of 3 parts-1-birth of the muses,
2-clio's plan -" to sport an australian accent "which is a dialogue in between..
last week after Jackie Hoffman's muse character said...Calliope ..muse of Epics
my sisters and I begun our tasks.. then the 3-"I'm Alive Finale number " came in
by singing....."I'm Alive !!! (this week- it was changed to - ) the now its Kira's
solo part - "Suddenly came a dawn, Suddenly I was born ! " its longer and more
focus on her character now.

b. "What rhymes with nantucket ? line" -that was not on earlier preview (as I
remember it.

c. "Magic Song" the over the top breathy rendition of ....'for you ! " was minimize
instead they have only this one over the top breathy rendition of Kira
and the end of the song...singing ... heavy breathy (to the point of almost
swallowing Cheyenne) 'for you !" -its so funny though!

7. I appreciate the Doug Carter Beane' book more : its very witty and funny !
He is really the star of Xanadu ! He took this horrible movie and stitched all these
stories to make this funny musical. C'mon... Tangerine going back in time to
remind Danny , the Xanadu theater now, instead of just a merely " space"
in the movie...the evil muses.... the clash of the titans spoof....is it just me? but
what is Ursula Andres nationality ? bec. Jackie Hoffman's Aphrodite is somewhat
a little like "Rosie Perez " to me- but soo funny !!!

Favorite part of the book : MAJOR SPOILERS *****

as I recalled it.. maybe not exact word for word.(CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THIS OKAY, OR I WILL REMOVE IT ? )- not sure ? thanks

a. Dialogue between Clio & Hermes:

Hermes- Zeus wanted to remind you that the penalty of creating Art is eternal
damnation to another world..and the penalty of loving a mortal is eternal
damnation to another world...so forth..(cant remember the entire thing)
Clio ( in hysteria ) So why does Zeus tell me these things? I have not love anyone !
nor created nothing.. I am ... why does Zeus accuse me of.......Why Hermes ?
whyyyyyyy?????
Hermes : B*tch ! I dont know your life !!!
b. Dialogue between Zeus & Clio ( I memorized this one bec.. I keep repeating this line over & over )

Zeus: But Clio, this is 1980... muses were in retreat..creativity shall be stagnant for decades...the Theater-- they will just take some stickaroo movie or some song writer's catalog , throw it onstage and called it a SHOW !!! ( I love this line soo much)

Lastly - I think worth mentioning... Sonny asked Kira to draw ( which is forbidden)
but finally Kira attempted to "create art". she said (in a line that really affected me)
that goes like this ....finally I did it and its there ..maybe for a short time , maybe for long time , but its there ! I always wonder how is it for mortals to create art ..
This is why I like the musical a lot--the book made me realize that creating something like ART is worth doing even if we get critism or praise , it may stay , it may get close--but its there ! I thought I'd share this...Jaystarr revisited

8. Lastly- onstage seating- I think I made some comments on this last week, without not really "experiencing" it. After the show I spoke to Mr. Aquaman (guy wearing Aquaman shirt and was seated onstage ) and I asked him, if there was an obstructed view on the I'm Alive number- he told me , no' bec. they can see the mural bec. they are looking down on it (as stadium seating) besides-- these people
get to dance at the Finale number "XANADU".

In Summary. The show is really a crowd pleaser. The Saturday Matinee (6/23) I think
was completely SOLD OUT ( I was sitting at Center Orchestra J ) I looked around and cant find any empty seats. There were two gay couple sitting next to my left ( who both loved Spring Awakening & Grey Gardens and looked to me as they were hard to please ) and a lady next to my right. After the show- I asked them , if they liked it. The lady told me she loved it. I was little not sure of the gay couple sitting next to me , but they were laughing thru out the show... but then again... I asked them if they like it. they told me .. They like it a lot and very happy that they saw the show. Will I see the show again ? My answer is YES and I probbably bring my friends from Boston (in a busload )

Go see the show ! the second time I saw it - I actually appreciated Douglas Carter Beane's witty book & Did I mentioned that I did not get bored ? Hopefully my 3rd time will be after they opened the show . I want to see James Carpinello and lastly I wanted to sit onstage- bec. youll get to dance at the Xanadu finale number !!!

P.S. And If your wonderin' about meeting the cast after the show. They are always very nice at the stage door (which is on your left as you exit Helen Hayes) I really need to give a special mention to Kerry Butler . I met her twice and she was always extremely nice and accomodating. When she was done today at the 2 pm matinee show , she kinda stick and look around if everyone have gotten their autographs already or picture taken with her. I even asked her ..So Kerry how's your baby ? and she replied..she's waiting for me and I got her this little baby doll (that she showed to everyone) before she left.

J*
Jaystarr revisited

me holding my playbill
Jaystarr revisited

me & Tony Roberts
Jaystarr revisited

The "always nice & dependable" Kerry Butler making sure that everone gets their autographed (even at 2 pm Saturday Matinee ! )
Jaystarr revisited

Kerry Butler smiling for the camera
Jaystarr revisited

Kerry signing autographs at 6/23 2 pm matinee
Jaystarr revisited

UNFORTUNATELY - I was not able to get a picture of Cheyenne bec. he was held back doing dance rehearsall with Dan K.. I only waited till 4pm. It's probbably your turn (meaning : YOU ) to go see the show and take his picture for us here.
Thanks so much for taking the time & patience Jaystarr revisited
NEXT : Jaystarr 10/10 on "The Color Purple" with Fantasia.

Updated On: 5/14/08 at 11:39 PM

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#2re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:40pm

What'd they change Curtis' outfit to? I didn't much like the dress.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:42pm

Carpinello is scheduled to be out for at least four months (if he does even return, which is doubtful.)

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#3re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:46pm

I heard today from Kerry Butler that James has a cast on his foot. So how long does it takes? no idea ?

Thalia -the muse ( Curtis Holbrrok ) costumes as a muse was change... from the all minishirt white with blue inside to a total all blue Spartan look with rhinestones, his
chest area is now exposed (but not totally), though it was still a mini-shirt but he was wearing like a boxer blue underwear inside...he is also a star necklace and an earing at his left ear. I asked Dan K about the costume change today and he confirmed it was changed (from the first day preview -last week I saw)

J*

Updated On: 6/23/07 at 11:46 PM

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#4re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:51pm

Wow. I think we need to see this costume.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#5re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 12:24am

I dont know if there's a picture yet..but definitely he is not wearing this anymore (see below) If you seen him wearing this (2nd guy ) - they changed it from the last time you saw it..

Its all BLUE . mini skirt with roman(like shirt that Roman Soilder Guards )/spartan look -made of several strip of cloth interlining one another (so when he turn-around-youll see his fitted blue boxer type underwear..the top is just a X of same blue (same as his shirt ) but with rhinstones
Hope I gave a pretty good descriptions.

J*

re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy

Updated On: 6/24/07 at 12:24 AM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#6re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 12:37am

For the record - no one, not even James knows how long he'll be out for.. so to automatically say 4 months is silly at this point.

What I do know is that he's eager to get back in just as SOON as he can....

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

C is for Company
#7re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 12:42am

He was even outside the theater after the Wednesday night show. He seems eager to stick around that "Sunny Malyyyyne."

Luvinbroadway Profile Photo
Luvinbroadway
#8re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 1:10am

I have seen both James and Cheyenne..my vote...stick with Cheyenne...James did nothing for an already weak show..Cheyenne made it worthwhile!
Sorry Craig!

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#9re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 8:31am

I didn't get to see James, but I saw the show last night with Cheyenne and thought he and the show were great!

broadwayguy2
#10re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 8:38am

The show is tailor made for Cheyenne Jackson.
Personally, I felt that Cheyenne and Kerry worked wonerfully together and a great dynamic between them.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#11re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 8:47am

jaystarr, we were at the same performance. Our seats were stage right, so a few sight gags were missed. There was quite literally a little white haired old lady with a cane near the front row. During the curtain call she was having a grand old time bopping to the music! Sadly there was a gentleman sitting next to me who just didn't seem to get the show.
Cheyenne was great, and I do hope he stays with the show.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

broadwayguy2
#12re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 8:50am

Curtain call is a trip there. Some of the gay men go into ful on "dance club" mode in the aisles!

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#13re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 8:55am

Last night there was an old man (in his 90s maybe?) sitting onstage swinging his glow stick and loving it! re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy

broadwayguy2
#14re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 9:01am

The other night, there was a kid onstage.. MAYBE around ten years old. He as VERY still and well behaved... til; Jackie Hoffman spins around in one scene, grabs the kid the kid by the skull, and shrieks "Everyone else here gets it. Even the kid gets it!".

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#15re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 12:37pm

thanks Jaystarr....

While not for everyone, i enjoyed reading your enjoyment (if that makes sense!)

I got to get back East again soon...I do enjoy a good Cheyenne Jackson sighting.

Guess we are going to need a "renthead" type name for all those digging this show.

fANADUs!

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#16re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 3:12pm

Im diggin' "Fanadus"

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#17re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 3:48pm

<< The other night, there was a kid onstage.. MAYBE around ten years old. He as VERY still and well behaved... til; Jackie Hoffman spins around in one scene, grabs the kid the kid by the skull, and shrieks "Everyone else here gets it. Even the kid gets it!".

>>

If that was Friday night, I saw it too--- that was hysterical !!! BTW, that kid and his dad were sitting right in front of Kerry's mom.

Dollypop
#18re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 4:36pm

It is safe to assume that James will be out for quite some time. I "shattered" my foot a few years ago in a car accident and was in a splint for over a month. It took me a full two months of therapy before I could walk without a limp because the muscles has gotten used to not being used.

I'm assuming Carpinello is in a full plaster cast so his situation will be even worse than mine was.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

C is for Company
#19re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 4:39pm

It was a full plaster cast. I hope he gets well, but at this point, I'd like Cheyenne to stay. He can partially bring in some sort of crowd with his large Broadway fanbase.

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#20re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 5:53pm

Thanks Jaystarr for the great pics & info. I can't wait to see it with Cheyenne Jackson but I wish James Carpinello a speedy recovery. I'm sure I'll see it again when he returns.
You're becoming a real Eve Harrington... but can you skate? haha.

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#21re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 6:54pm

Dolly.. no offense.. but you're older than James.. and every body heals differently

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

TLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
#22re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 6:57pm

Someone put a pic of Cheyenne online. :) Thanks for the pics jaystarr. Can't wait to see the show.

2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#23re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 7:44pm

Jefrrey1dog- yup ! I can skate... I can do it as long as I can be "Kerry Butler" , so I can do the "strange magic" with Cheyenne. hahahaha

Can someone please loan me a roller skate?

J*

re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy

Updated On: 7/7/07 at 07:44 PM

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#24re: Jaystarr revisits XANADU again with Cheyenne Jackosn as Sonny Malloy
Posted: 6/24/07 at 8:01pm

I am kind of obsessed with the show as well, but I would rather be called a raving lunatic than a "Fanadu" !! :P