pixeltracker

Cast "adjustment" in the middle of XANADU tonite!

Cast "adjustment" in the middle of XANADU tonite!

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#1Cast "adjustment" in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 10:09pm

**Spoilerish**

So went to go see Patti as Kira tonight (she's on all this week for Kerry)...Cheyenne started the show, but then at some point after "Magic" and his exit, he must have decided to not continue the show for whatever reason.

I first noticed something different when I saw Cheyenne from the corner of my eye briskly passing backstage in the wrong direction, and then when the "sirens" came out during "Evil Woman", Curtis was missing from the group.

Then after Evil Woman, the telephone booth was preset, and the voice of God came on, announcing a "cast adjustment", with the role of Sonny being played by Curtis Holbrook and Curtis' roles played by Jacob ben Widmar. After a pause of about a minute, Curtis made his entrance into the "Suddenly" scene.

You don't realize how much the show relies on momentum, but it was weird for the audience to get back to the response level they were at before. Luckily Curtis came on strong and did his usual best! Jacob was a little iffy on the tap shoes, but otherwise was great, and as Thalia (in Marty's muse costume), he was able to comfortably fit in with the other muses with great faces and physicality.

Patti, of course, was fantastic, easily grabbing great laughs from lines that don't always fly - and the singing voice is so strong, you people have to see her this week!

Hope all is well with Cheyenne and a fast return.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 8/19/08 at 10:09 PM

clever name Profile Photo
clever name
#2re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 10:33pm

Wow! What happened? I have never been to a show where the cast member is replaced in the middle of it. Was he sick?

Chance
#2re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 10:39pm

usually when something like that happens it's illness

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#3re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:02pm

<< he must have decided to not continue the show for whatever reason.

>>

He had an allergy attack - (or has been suffering with allergies, basically) -

He coughed at one point, and you could see him trying to clear his throat.

Luckily, Curtis is amazing, and Patti is SOOOO great as Kira !

lstbutifulgrl2
#4re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:12pm

i've been to several shows where replacements have happened after intermission, but only one or two where it has happened mid act.

edited: because i can't spell tonight.

"Sometimes on the strip, the dreams you come in with, ain't the dreams you leave with" ~Rock of Ages
"I'm a butterfly, trivial and small, and in the greater scheme of things, I don't mean much at all." ~The Story of My Life
"Forget Regret, or life is yours to miss." ~Rent
Updated On: 8/19/08 at 11:12 PM

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#5re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:17pm

Hope Cheyenne feels better.

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#6re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:18pm

"He had an allergy attack - (or has been suffering with allergies, basically)"

Allergies have been horrid this year and I really feel for any performer who has had to suffer with them. I have allergies but they only really bother me around mid-April and then I'm fine the rest of the year. I've been suffering off and on all spring and summer. I would imagine other people are having similar troubles.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#7re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:19pm

Someone on the other board posted that Kenita is playing Kira on Sunday. Anyone know why they wouldn't put Kate Loprest on in that role? I'm dying to see her try it...

Broadway212 Profile Photo
Broadway212
#8re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:20pm

That happened to me one time at a show.

Testing1232
#9re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:25pm

Yep... this has been a really bad year for allergies !!!

Everyone in my office (incl myself) seems to be suffering.

Adam.. I would love to see Kate too, but very excited for Kenita. (she is such a doll !!)

Broadway212
#10re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:28pm

The Clio/Kira understudy I saw was really good she had everyone in the audience laughing really hard. I forgot her name.

Testing1232
#11re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:30pm

That would be Patti Murin, Broadway212

She is great. Powerhouse voice, and has the comedy down as well !

Broadway212
#12re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:31pm

thanks testing1232 she was great after she started singing I forgot all about Kerry she should take over the role once she leaves and she was very funny.
Updated On: 8/19/08 at 11:31 PM

nasty_khakis
#13re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/19/08 at 11:35pm

i am DYING to see kate go on, but kenita will be VERY interesting as well.

and just fyi, jacob wears ryan's old purple muse costume, not marty's blue one. granted, they're almost identical except in color and the side the shoulder is on.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#14re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/20/08 at 12:42am

I saw Patti as Clio/Kira on Sunday. She was fantastic.

BradMajors Profile Photo
BradMajors
#15re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/20/08 at 12:44am

Poor Cheyenne! I wish I could have been there to cure whatever was ailing him!

lotterymaster
#16re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/20/08 at 12:54am

When does Kerry come back??? Is Cheyenne going to be out for a while???

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#17re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/20/08 at 1:54am

Had the pleasure of seeing Patti Murin this week as Kira. She is AMAZING!!! Go see her if you get a chance!!! Her voice is similar to Kerry's but she puts her own stamp on the role.

Anyone know who's in the tour?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#18re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/20/08 at 2:00am

Is Kenita Miller still covering Kira?

I thought she hadn't been understudying the role ever since coming back from her medical leave.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 8/20/08 at 02:00 AM

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#19re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/20/08 at 2:12am

I think I read that Elizabeth Stanley was doing the tour?

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#20re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/20/08 at 2:14am

Elizabeth Stanley!!?? Ooooooh, that would be amazing!!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#21re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/20/08 at 2:15am

http://talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1617540

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#22re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/20/08 at 2:21am

I totally agree- Whoopi was just so so, didn't really provide any star power. I was actually more excited about Patti's performance.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#23re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/20/08 at 2:28am

I was at a performance of the Benny Tour of RENT ages ago and during "Out Tonight", the actress playing Mimi lost her voice -- you literally felt it pop-out. She managed to finish the song and endure a difficult "Another Day". When the street scene came up a few minutes later, another actress was in the Mimi leopard print coat and black sunglasses and finished the rest of the show. The 'adjustment' announcement was made at the start of Act 2.

Same thing happened when I saw BIG on Broadway -- a different child actor played young Josh in Act 1 and in Act 2. The 'adjustment' announcement was made at the start of Act 2.

broadwayjim42
#24re: Cast 'adjustment' in the middle of XANADU tonite!
Posted: 8/20/08 at 7:40am

As the reigning Mr. Allergies 2008, I can vouch for how bad alergies are this year as well. August has been terrible and since mine are a one-two punch with asthma included, it's not fun.

Hope Cheyenne feels better fast.

Weird thing is that when I'm in NYC, my allergies don't bother me nearly as much. Get back on the train and head north...open the floodgates.

TMI.

Videos