pixeltracker

Darren Aronofsky's "mother!"- Page 2

Darren Aronofsky's "mother!"

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#25Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/15/17 at 4:46pm

I may be going rogue big time here, but I liked mother! a lot more than I did Black Swan.

The film is uneven but gloriously so.   At times it feels like a lost Sam Shepard play, and a very captivating one.  At other times it's like Guillermo del Toro but, alas, not always like del Toro at his best.  Perhaps the best way to describe it is A Delicate Balance on steroids.   Lawrence hasn't had a role this good since Winter's Bone and she gives it her all.  It's a very ballsy performance.  Ed and especially Michelle - wow.   

And there's so much to allegorically parse here.  The price of fame?  The primal tensions between those conflicting demon urges for nesting and company?  The struggles and consequences of creativity?  The expendibility of love and its providers?

These are all there to ponder.  But there's something even more powerful and timely.  The creative and procreative forces clash with the pressing question:  is it moral to bring anything of value, anything truly of yourself, anything for love and, perhaps most poignantly, new life into a world spiraling into madness and self-destruction?

Updated On: 9/15/17 at 04:46 PM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#26Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/15/17 at 4:58pm

It's definitely a movie that lends itself to some aggressively pretentious debates among film students. But that's sort of it's aim, I think? It's clearly serving the "to teach and to please" model of entertainment. There's a thin plot that basically amounts to a morality play (About what? I don't know. Dealer's choice.), not a single character of any tangible substance (not even Jennifer's unnamed "mother" character even though we spend 90% of the movie's running time with the camera trained tightly on her face), every person is a vessel for some symbolic idea. It's an incredibly "arty" film, again - one that just doesn't get wide released unless you're at Aronofsky's level; certainly legendary, but still young enough to stretch his legs and tweak his vision. The fact that I'm able to talk about it like this at all is a testament to that vision, whatever it may be. But as the moviegoing experience advertised in the trailers and media spots, it's very unexpected.

Given the audience response around me last night, this is definitely going to be divisive - a word I've seen thrown around reviews for it quite a bit, and it's the perfect adjective for it. But it is clearly intended to provoke, first and foremost, so it's a success on that front.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#27Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/16/17 at 4:12pm

Just got back from seeing "mother!". All I can say is this: this movie needs to be seen at least twice to be believed. Relentless, subtle, terrifying, beautiful, audacious, jaw-dropping, and most of all, STUNNING! What director/writer Darren Aronofsky has created is probably his most darkest and brilliant film he has made throughout his career. The performances ranging from Lawrence to Bardem, to Pfeiffer and Harris are all great, making this concept actually work if you realize what it all means for the film uses symbolism and hints

This film may not be a typical horror film but it ranks right up there with "The Shining" and "The Exorcist" by being subtle and out there with their unique version of "horror". The final third act has some of the most shocking things ever put on celluloid that I was actually surprised that I wasn't terrified, but stunned.

Darren Aronofsky's "mother!" might be in my top 3 films of 2017 thus far but I will say that this movie isn't made for the "mainstream" and it will be one of the most divisive films ever, but I for one think it's for people who love "art-house films" in general.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#28Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/17/17 at 8:38am

I loved every second of this batsh!t crazy movie.. I found much of it to be hilarious. Especially when a certain comedic actress shows up. 

It's a mess. But it's never boring. And it certainly left us a lot to talk about over dinner after.  

Liza's Headband
#29Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/17/17 at 11:34pm

Musical Master thinking it was a masterpiece of some sort prepared me enough for this disaster of a train-wreck. Sat through this masturbatory piece of sh*t tonight, and severely regretting so. I couldn't find one redeeming takeaway from the film. It is clear Lawrence, who I admittedly despise, was completely miscast and only in there because she's sleeping with the director. Good lord. So bad. 

FrankieSay Profile Photo
FrankieSay
#30Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/17/17 at 11:36pm

Have you covered counter-intuitive decision making with your therapist yet?

Oh, segne deine Herzen

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#31Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/18/17 at 6:20pm

Liza's Headband said: "It is clear Lawrence, who I admittedly despise, was completely miscast and only in there because she's sleeping with the director. Good lord. So bad."

You do realize that she and Darren started dating only until the movie finished shooting right? You don't make any sense. And while I do agree with that the movie will be divided amongst critics and audiences, I still think the film is great and worth it to see it for a second time.

FrankieSay Profile Photo
FrankieSay
#32Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/19/17 at 7:54pm

The Village Voice has an illuminating discussion of "Mother!". 

Caveats: Spoilers abound. And...

Article not recommended for those who are uninterested in discussion of the movie

Oh, segne deine Herzen

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#33Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/20/17 at 4:31am

I finally saw this.  At the beginning the theatre was 2/3's full and by the end there were only about 3 people left.  I actually have no opinion of this film other than the fact that it has left me absolutely traumatized for days.  Jennifer Lawrence was raw and powerful, but this has got to be the most disturbing film of the year and one of, if not the most disturbing film that I have ever seen.  There is one scene in particular that recieved an audible response and about 15 people stood up and walked out.  This film is seriously f*cked up.  It's good, I guess, but I genuinely never want to see it again.  It messed with my head.  Seriously it's pretty sick and twisted.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#34Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/20/17 at 9:43am

FrankieSay said: "The Village Voice has an illuminating discussion of "Mother!".

Caveats: Spoilers abound. And...

Article not recommended for those who are uninterested in discussion of the movie
"

I was happy to read they found humor in the movie too!

Updated On: 9/20/17 at 09:43 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#35Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/24/17 at 4:04am

Truly awful story - just bizarre. Such great talent involved and some great acting moments though - but was the writer suffering from a stroke while writing and planning this?

One of the 'saving graces" (no pun intended) is the clear criticism/comment on religion. Horrifically, we already see the themes of this movie playing out in our every day life - but it goes by the name of Christianity and Islam (and perhaps to a lesser extent, Judaism). No horror movie has ever been as scary or painful as 9/11.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 9/24/17 at 04:04 AM

FrankieSay Profile Photo
FrankieSay
#36Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/24/17 at 1:24pm

You liked the allegory, you loved one of the allegory's two main points, all of which are the film's reason for existence, but you thought the story (which is the allegory) was truly awful and you wonder if the writer was having a stroke? Reviewers continue with the overused term "divisive" and now I see how it is dividing individuals within the span of four sentences.

"No horror movie has ever been as scary or painful as 9/11." Yes, and?

Oh, segne deine Herzen

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#37Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/24/17 at 2:21pm

qolbinau said: "No horror movie has ever been as scary or painful as 9/11."

???

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#38Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/24/17 at 3:05pm

No horror movie has ever been as scary or painful as 9/11.

Darren Aronofsky's

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

binau Profile Photo
binau
#39Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/24/17 at 7:08pm

FrankieSay said: "You liked the allegory, you loved one of the allegory's two main points, all of which are the film's reason for existence, but you thought the story (which is the allegory) was truly awful and you wonder if the writer was having a stroke? Reviewers continue with the overused term "divisive" and now I see how it is dividing individuals within the span of four sentences.

"

It is the execution that is the issue for me. I'm all for movies ridiculing and criticising religion for the awful system it is in our society, but this movie got very bizarre very quickly - it was hard to believe I was seeing what I was seeing on the screen. After the initial couple/family left I was wondering how they were going to take the story further - I was utterly, utterly perplexed at the transition from crazed fans to religious-type cult complete with baby-eating, cages of locked people, swat teams, death. It was SO bizarre. I love Requiem for a Dream and I LOVED Black Swan but this movie was madness. 

I THINK I am glad I saw it - I can honestly say it is truly unique. I wonder if in a few decades it will be known as a movie that is so bad it's good. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#40Darren Aronofsky's
Posted: 9/25/17 at 6:51pm

golbinau said: "I was utterly, utterly perplexed at the transition from crazed fans to religious-type cult complete with baby-eating, cages of locked people, swat teams, death. It was SO bizarre."

Why would anyone be perplexed by the visitation by an obsessed fan and his very troubled family progressing-devolving into a full on invasion by a cult mob?  If you can't see the nexuses between near manageable absurdity, brutality, and epic chaos, you may not be paying attention either to the movie or to the planet.  If you can't see how these various stages of pernicious fandom might culminate in a full on personality cult, then you might not have been paying attention to the state of the American nation.

Updated On: 9/26/17 at 06:51 PM

Videos