The U.S. of A wants Polanski

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#1The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/7/15 at 11:52am

An official says that Poland has been asked to extradite filmmaker Roman Polanski to the United States, where he is wanted on 1977 charges of sex with a minor.

Spokesman for the prosecutor general, Mateusz Martyniuk, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the request from Los Angles prosecutors was being forwarded to Krakow, where Polanski's case is handled.

In October, Krakow prosecutors refused a U.S. request to arrest Polanski, 81, but questioned him and obliged him to turn up on every summons. He is to film in Poland in the spring.

Martyniuk said that as a rule Poland does not extradite its citizens.

Paris-born Polanski spent his childhood and youth in Poland but lives in France. He holds Polish and French passports.

In 2010 Switzerland refused to extradite Polanski.

SOURCE Updated On: 1/7/15 at 11:52 AM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#2The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/7/15 at 2:32pm

Because a 40 year-old charge on an 81 year-old man is a HUGE priority. I get that they finally want a judgment passed on the guy, but I just don't see how it have any effect on anything.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#2The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/7/15 at 2:38pm

Meh, I think it's just lip-service at this point.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

FindingNamo
#3The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/7/15 at 3:14pm

Lip service is what got him into this mess.

Too soon?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#4The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/7/15 at 3:20pm

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#5The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/7/15 at 3:31pm

Maybe he will cast Cosby in his next film?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/7/15 at 3:32pm

That was a really funny joke. I'm laughing very hard.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#7The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/7/15 at 3:45pm

He could direct Stephen Collins and Cosby in a buddy comedy.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/7/15 at 4:24pm

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#9The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/7/15 at 4:39pm

I love her.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#10The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/7/15 at 5:29pm

This is not a good use of my tax dollars. Leave the case open and let him stay in exile in Europe if a point remains to be made. But spending millions on extradition and incarceration of an 81-year-old man serves what purpose?

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#11The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/7/15 at 5:41pm

@JordanCatalano: That gif of Mariah gave me LIFE!

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#12The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/8/15 at 6:11am

Yeah what's the big deal? Like Whoopi said, it wasn't even "rape" rape! Just a little underage drugging and sodomy!

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#13The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/8/15 at 6:24am

:sigh:

I didn't say sex with a 13-year-old wasn't a big deal. And I certainly didn't say it wasn't rape.

I said (and implied) that Polanski has been branded a sex criminal and banished from the cultural capital of his industry and the world for 40 years. He's now 81. We've already spent millions trying to extradite him from Switzerland; why replay the farce with Poland?

Even Polanski's victim has said "Enough is enough."

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#14The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/8/15 at 11:29am

"I said (and implied) that Polanski has been branded a sex criminal and banished from the cultural capital of his industry and the world for 40 years."
I know! Look how it's ruined his career and quality of life!

FindingNamo
#15The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/8/15 at 11:31am

A BJ counts as sodomy. I can tell you from experience there's a world of difference between that and what people think of when they hear that word.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#16The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/8/15 at 1:49pm

"I know! Look how it's ruined his career and quality of life!"

You know the man, Erik? I'm not prepared to make wild assumptions as to how or whether Polansky has suffered. I said I have no problem with leaving the case open so he can't return to the U.S.

But as for deterence, I think the message has been sent--to the extent those who want to have sex with young teens can be deterred.

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#17The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/8/15 at 2:08pm

"Roman Polanski raped a child. Let’s just start right there, because that’s the detail that tends to get neglected when we start discussing whether it was fair for the bail-jumping director to be arrested at age 76, after 32 years in “exile” (which in this case means owning multiple homes in Europe, continuing to work as a director, marrying and fathering two children, even winning an Oscar, but never — poor baby — being able to return to the U.S.). Let’s keep in mind that Roman Polanski gave a 13-year-old girl a Quaalude and champagne, then raped her, before we start discussing whether the victim looked older than her 13 years, or that she now says she’d rather not see him prosecuted because she can’t stand the media attention. Before we discuss how awesome his movies are or what the now-deceased judge did wrong at his trial, let’s take a moment to recall that according to the victim’s grand jury testimony, Roman Polanski instructed her to get into a jacuzzi naked, refused to take her home when she begged to go, began kissing her even though she said no and asked him to stop; performed cunnilingus on her as she said no and asked him to stop; put his penis in her vagina as she said no and asked him to stop; asked if he could penetrate her anally, to which she replied, “No,” then went ahead and did it anyway, until he had an orgasm."

I don't know Namo...that sounds like traditional sodomy to me!

And yup...multiple homes in Europe, an Oscar, getting married and having kids...who would want to face those consequences? That's definitely a deterrent!

Reminder: Roman Polanski Raped a Child

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#18The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/8/15 at 4:23pm

Eric, I don't think anybody HERE has said the rape of a 13-year-old is "no big deal" or that Polanski should get one free rape because he is a genius and a victim of violent crime himself.

So repeating that sex with young teens is bad--with ever increasing details--doesn't really answer the question: what is to be accomplished with protracted litigation 4 decades after the past, in the final decade or so of the defendant's life?

Because you can bet that after wrangling over extradition, Polanski's lawyers will proceed to the issues of prosecutorial misconduct that Polanski claims caused him to flee back in 1976. And then they'll move to issues such as the mother's complicity, the child's appearance and what exactly Polanski knew at the time (all different issues to prove beyond a reasonable doubt 40 years after the fact).

Unless there's evidence of a continuing pattern of criminal conduct, I don't see this current prosecution as a deterrent.

And after all is said and done a JURY may decide the matter should be closed by now.

Are we tilting at windmills in a quest for perfect justice?

(Full disclosure: IMO CHINATOWN is perhaps the greatest American film made in my adult lifetime. But that didn't affect my judgment of Polanski in 1976 and it doesn't affect me now.i

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#19The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/8/15 at 4:27pm

Updated On: 1/9/15 at 04:27 PM

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#20The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/8/15 at 4:53pm

It's Erik. With a K.
He's a child rapist who admitted his guilt in court. He should have to face the consequences of that just like people without his wealth or fame do when they drug and rape a child.
I think the suggestion that he's already paid the price is a little ridiculous. Especially considering the awful nature of the crime he committed.

Liza's Headband
#21The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/8/15 at 5:01pm

something something Moral Relativism something something something.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#22The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/8/15 at 5:18pm

"Oy gevalt. Stop already with the mealy-mouthed defending of terrorists, murderers and child molesters!"

They have wonderful techniques for dealing with dyslexia, Joey. Google it.

Isn't it clear by now that you aren't going to bully me into silence? Frankly, you're insufficiently clever.

I have not defended terrorists, murderers OR child molesters. I ASKED WHAT PURPOSE YET ANOTHER BOUT OF EXTENDED, INTERNATIONAL LITIGATION WOULD SERVE?

I've yet to see a response to that.

Updated On: 1/8/15 at 05:18 PM

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#23The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/8/15 at 5:22pm

^ Perhaps it sends some kind of comforting signal to other victims of sexual crimes?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#24The U.S. of A wants Polanski
Posted: 1/8/15 at 5:24pm

Lize, you seem so fond of that term, I thought you might like to know what it means:

"Moral relativism is the view that moral judgments are true or false only relative to some particular standpoint (for instance, that of a culture or a historical period) and that no standpoint is uniquely privileged over all others.

Moral Relativism | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy"

I don't see the point of using the term here, Liza, except for your painfully obvious attempt to curry favor with PalJoey.

This may come as a shock to you all, but our entire system is built on practical considerations and deal-making. I've never suggested we redefine the morality of Polanski's crime. I asked whether it was really worthwhile to engage in lengthy litigation with an elderly, foreign citizen.

Videos