pixeltracker

'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige- Page 1

'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige

I<3bway Profile Photo
I<3bway
#1'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 5:07pm

For years she idolised Elaine Paige, singing along to her songs in her bedroom with a hairbrush for a microphone.

But it seems Susan Boyle's admiration for the 61-year-old diva may not be a mutual affair.

Miss Paige, who boasts 40 years in showbusiness and a �12million fortune, has haughtily dismissed the instant success of the Britain's Got Talent runner-up as 'a virus that swept the world'.

Ouch.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1246629/Susan-Boyle-virus-claims-Elaine-Paige-reveals-true-feelings-duet.html
Updated On: 1/28/10 at 05:07 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#2'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 5:23pm

Paige is being slightly misquoted and misconstrued. It's not quite as mean as its being framed. However, I agree with her. I mean crap like this happening is a slap in the face to anyone who busted their ass to get where they are. I think Susan is pretty much done at this point. She has mental health issues, almost no ability to travel, promote or tour. She has no stamina or endurance and will slowly fade I think. She is inconsistent with performances and interviews, as in not showing up for them.

Virus is a good term. I don't think people are even stopping to listen to the music, they are just buying into the feel-good phenomenon. Everyone I know, myself included, is pretty disappointed with the CD. It's pretty uneven thematically-a mismatch of songs with nothing upbeat.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
Updated On: 1/28/10 at 05:23 PM

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#2'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 5:39pm

Please, Paige is being MORE than kind. Let's see where Susan Boyle is after a 30 year career, let's see if she is still knocking 'em dead and wowing 'em like Paige and Sarah Brightman are. She is SPOT ON and this doesn't even deserve to be news, but at least it gets Paige some press. Boyle is a flash-in-the-pan, a talented version of William Hung.

P

StockardFan Profile Photo
StockardFan
#3'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 5:52pm

I so agree with you guys.

KFTC!!!!!

danmag Profile Photo
danmag
#4'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 5:53pm

Here are Susan and Elaine singing "I Know Him So Well".

http://www.dlisted.com/node/35813

And here is Elaine backpedaling.

"I was dismayed to read the remarks attributed to me today in the Daily Mail which were incomplete and misinterpreted.
I am a huge supporter of Susan Boyle and admire what she has achieved; she has handled the extraordinary situation of being catapulted to worldwide stardom with tremendous strength, charm and dignity and I thoroughly enjoyed working with her on the ITV special we recorded together only last month.

I have always said it's very hard for someone to be fast-tracked to stardom without any prior experience - I know this as it happened to me when â??Evita' opened and I found it extremely difficult in the beginning; today, of course, it's much harder with the phenomenon of the internet - Facebook, YouTube etc - it seems it only takes minutes for fame to spread around the world - and that's why I used the word â??virus'! I wasn't referring to Susan herself; I was referring to the speed of her fame spreading as fast as a worldwide viral marketing campaign."

"This show had the WORST magnets on Broadway!"
Updated On: 1/28/10 at 05:53 PM

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#5'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 6:17pm

I concur with everything everybody has said. If Susan Boyle was a thin and generically attractive twenty-something, I doubt she would have received the amount of attention that she has gotten. I really am over her.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#6'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 6:23pm

I never got on the "Boyle Bus" and have pretty much ignored everything regarding her. I think Paige has a point though.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#7'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 6:24pm

HATERZ GALORE!!!

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#8'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 7:55pm

I assumed everyone would disagree with me, but it looks like many don't. People bust their asses for years for a career like Elaine's. Susan gets second in a talent contest and suddenly they are doing duets. If Susan had been a traditional beauty, she never would have gotten the attention. And I have STILL not seen her sing anything but I Dreamed a Dream live. Every. Freaking. Show.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#9'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 8:07pm

Yeah, I completely lost the shred of respect/interest I had in her after she massacred "Memory" and refused to sing ALW/Steinman's "Whistle Down The Wind" because she was unfamiliar with it. What a talentless quack with a diva bent. Come 2012: Susan who?

P

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 8:10pm

I would still like to hear her sing "Whistle Down the Wind" if she ever wants to familiarize herself with the song. It would have been a better choice than "Memory".

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#11'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 8:15pm

Susan Boyle is a household name with the biggest female album ever.

Elaine only wishes she were as popular.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#12'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 8:27pm

me-ouch! I doubt susan Boyle has the legs to have a long career, but I wish her well. Her cd is pleasant (it's not Patti, but I didn't expect it to be) and her success was created---not unlike American idol, etc.

As to working your tush off for years, that helps for longecity, but the entertainment industry is not abour longevity anymore---look at the music industry.

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#13'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 8:49pm

The music industry now is about one hit wonders that they can milk until the public loses interest. Susan Boyle fits that bill until the next season of any talent show with the next sob story.

Paige is not jealous of Boyle-Boyle has not done anything other than be pitied in order to gain notoriety. Paige will work freely and have her choice of projects based on her talent and professionalism. Boyle is a liability.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#14'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 9:01pm

Bettyboy is right and I totally agree. And, Diva, you know I truly love you but Boyle only wishes she had 12 million British pounds in the bank that the original cited article states Paige has, no matter what her relative "most successful female album" title purports to entail. Cowell is making a lot more off of Boyle than Boyle is making off of Boyle, remember. Elaine Paige is her own woman.

And let's not forget Sarah Brightman is still and will probably forever remain (if only for the POTO cast album, the highest selling cast album of all time which she also owns a large chunk of per the divorce decree from ALW) the world's bestselling soprano.

P

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#15'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 10:53pm

Aww, I like Susan and wish her great success.

As for someone studying for years to get where they are as opposed to someone who didn't study for years, but has the goods- well, to coin a very old phrase- that's the way the cookie crumbles. It happens in every walk of life, not only in the arts.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#16'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 11:21pm

I hear your point Jane, but I don't think Boyle really has the goods. She has a pretty voice-yes-but she lacks technique and training, has almost zero stage presence and doesnt (in my opinion) know how to emote during a song.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#17'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 11:34pm

Paying one's dues vs overnight success. Wah. Some get it easy. Some don't.

The question IS the talent. Boyle isn't my thing. But she seems to be many other people's. For now.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#18'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 11:38pm

"Wah"...hahaha.. I love Jerby!

FindingNamo
#19'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/28/10 at 11:41pm

I can't follow flip flopping arguers like Pgenre. It's all about the artistry in one post and then in another Elaine is better because she has so much in the bank.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#20'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 12:00am

Not everyone can be Yoko Ono or Patti Smith, Namo.

::REQUISITE HUGE EYE ROLL::

Get another victim for your bile, hun, 'cause you ain't never gonna win against me. Kisses.

P

FindingNamo
#21'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 12:27am

I'm not interested in any sort of contest, so if you're keeping score for your own interest, great. Nice deflection on your complete lack of consistency, however, very clever. Barely noticeable.

TheatreDiva90016
#22'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 12:36am

And, if you noticed, I never said if I liked Susan or not.

Frankly, I don't care. She will fade into obscurity.

But, the fact is that most of middle America still has no idea who Elaine is, except for the the fact that she sang once with Susan.

Maybe, instead of making 'virus' comments, she should have just laughed and said, "Well, she IS making a name for herself!" or something along those lines. The minute she said something snarky, she's just coming across as bitter.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

FindingNamo
#23'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 12:39am

I met Elaine once and she was very nice, quite polite. But then, I'm prettier than Susan Boyle.

TheatreDiva90016
#24'Susan Boyle is a virus' claims Elaine Paige
Posted: 1/29/10 at 12:40am

My cats ass is prettier than Susan Boil.