pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 11

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#250Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/6/13 at 4:28am

It's his last week with the show, apparently. Very surprising.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#251Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/13/13 at 6:56pm

Wow, if you are a fan of Bianca Marroquin, she'll be "Roxie" until January 12, 2014. Speaking of the national tour, Paige Davis will be "Roxie" until the Houston stop (Nov. 12-17). Does anyone have an idea who will be cast as "Roxie" after the Houston run. The one name that comes to mind is Tracy Shayne. She's usually tours with Terra C. Just wondering....from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

Patti LuPone FANatic
#252Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/21/13 at 7:04am

Wow, for now, there are at least 21 total stops on the current national tour. Additional dates have been added past the Nov. 24th stop here in Austin. Cool.
Chicago National Tour 2013 2014

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#253Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/21/13 at 11:30am

it's really nice to see a lot of new cast members with the tour. Outside of the leads and about three ensemble members, the rest of the cast seems to be new to the show.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JohnyBroadway
#254Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 9/21/13 at 11:58am

I caught the tour a couple weeks, my first visit to the show. The company really is a fresh bunch of young performers, who performed the choreography and score flawlessly. They got one hot male ensemble. It was a fabulous afternoon at the Theatre.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#255Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/13 at 12:32am

I'm watching a bit of it tonight, cute to see her go through the paces of trying to fit CHICAGO into her life. Roz Ryan, Christie Brinkley, Amra-Faye cameos so far. It's cable so I'm sure it'll be on a lot.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Patti LuPone FANatic
#256Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/13 at 9:30am

To what extent did Wendy Wiiliams boost the box office? I'm sure she created some buzz, but not sure how effective she was in bringing in people to the show. I wish these guest artists would depend more on vocal talented and less on their sparkling personality. But it's someone else's call.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#257Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/3/13 at 10:58pm

Roz Ryan sets a record for contracted weeks as "Mama Morton" in "Chicago." Awesome.
Roz Ryan Makes History

Patti LuPone FANatic
#258Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/9/13 at 8:30pm

Welcome back Melissa Rae Mahon! She returns to the role of "Go-To-Hell-Kitty" and resumes being a "Roxie" understudy. The other two Roxie u/s are Tonya Wathen and Anne Horak.
Current Chicago Cast List

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Patti LuPone FANatic
#260Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/9/13 at 9:40pm

I did see that. If that's the case, what happened to Paige Davis? She was scheduled to be the touring "Roxie" until the end of the Houston, Texas stop (Nov. 12-17).

Patti LuPone FANatic
#261Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/18/13 at 10:05pm

I just noticed that Dylis Croman is back again as a member of the "Chicago" cast. She plays "Mona" and is one of the three Roxie understudies. Cool news.
chicago cast

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#262Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/19/13 at 7:26pm

Dylis must give some performance. I heard Miley Cyrus couldn't stop talking about her.

evic
#263Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/19/13 at 7:41pm

She is just gorgeous. Nice of the Weisslers to take her back- no rehearsals necessary. If only she could hear what the cast said about her when she left the show to be with Billy Ray. Brave of her to come back- hope she is over the ****and lesson learned. Having an affair with the leading man is trouble and theater is fantasy- including affairs with the Hillbilly leading man. Guess being Miley's stepmother wasn't in the cards and she should count her blessings.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#264Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/19/13 at 9:28pm

How is it brave of her to come back? She left and now she's back, no big deal. What she does in her personal life and really none of anyone else's business.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#265Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/19/13 at 9:55pm

I just think it's great that she's back. Now, if only Michael Cusumano could return.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#266Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/20/13 at 2:23am

No if only they would get rid of amra and have Steph Pope as Velma

evic
#267Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/20/13 at 9:58am

Cusumano is one of the greatest Broadway dancers. I hope he finds another show to show off his major talents.

Patti LuPone FANatic
#268Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/25/13 at 10:13pm

This is an updated roster for "Chicago." Amra Faye Wright will be Velma Kelly until 1-12-14 (originally 6-12-14). Good decision. It will give another person a chance to shine as Velma. Also, Ryan Silverman has been extened to Jan. 12, 2014 as well. He had been scheduled to finish his current run as Billy on Oct. 27th.
Chicago

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#269Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/25/13 at 10:41pm

Wow, Chris Fitzgerald is going to be Amos?

Patti LuPone FANatic
#270Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/25/13 at 11:11pm

I'm vaguely familiar with him. Was he involved in "Boy From Oz"?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#271Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/26/13 at 12:44am

Nope. He is best known as the original Boq in Wicked and Tony nominations for Young Frankenstein and Finian's Rainbow.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#272Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/27/13 at 6:05pm

I had no idea this Billy Ray/Dylis thing ever happened! (Well, allegedly.) That's crazy. Isn't or wasn't Dylis married herself? I'm sure she had to take a break to get away from the stink of the fling.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#273Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 10/28/13 at 3:12am

I was in Hells Kitchen tonight to meet friends, but they had to cancel at the last minute, so decided to try rushing a show at the last minute. After striking out at any of the shows on my must-see list, I headed over to the Ambassador and caught Chicago for a cool $37. I LOVE Chicago, but I was reluctant for all the usual reasons -- stunt casting, the show having started its run during the Truman administration etc. Overall, was pleasantly surprised, but certainly wouldn't have paid more than $37 for this experience.

THE GOOD:
The orchestra - sounded absolutely red hot. I imagine some of those musicians have had this gig for a long time, but they played their hearts ago. It's still a thrill to hear a "real" Broadway score played by an ace band.

Most of the ensemble - I thought I'd be watching a bunch of tired chorus boys and girls phoning it in. A couple of them were to an extent, but I was pleasantly surprised at how engaged the majority of them were. Most especially Stephanie Pope, Donna Marie Asbury and a stunning African American woman with long curly hair. I refer to her as such because, I just looked at the Playbill headshots and Sharon Moore looks much more like the woman I saw on stage than Nicole Bridgewater. However, I didn't hear an announcement about Sharon nor receive slip in my Playbill. Anyhow, she really magnetic. Wonderful presence.

R. Lowe - what a stunning countertenor. A bit too much schtick after the "reveal", but still, magnificent voice in great condition.

Roz Ryan - she certainly knows what she's doing.

Ryan Silverman - funny and charming, great voice. Wish he had a bit more of the snake oil salesman in him.

THE BAD:

Dylis Croman as Roxie - Again, no announcement, nor any slip in the Playbill. Perhaps there was a sign in the lobby? Anyway, she was playing Roxie tonight and she was dreadful. Absolutely no sense of comedic timing, completely flat delivery of nearly every book scene and fairly lackluster vocals and dancing throughout.

Amra Faye Wright as Velma - What a bizarre performance. I have to say that AFW is quite a sight on stage. Tall, sinewy, jagged spiky blonde hair, legs forever. She certainly looks the part but I have no idea where this performance came from. I don't know if it's the strain of delivering a shaky "American" accent, but her vocal delivery -- more the book scenes than songs -- sounded like a middle aged Katherine Hepburn. Again, no sense of comedic timing (or perhaps she's just done with this show and has mentally moved on). Her dancing was also the most restrained, cautious and sloppy I can remember seeing in a Velma. Is she doing the original (1996/7) choreography? Some of it seemed... toned down for her. Anyway, lady needs to get an energy drink or something. It's a damn shame Stephanie Pope or Donna Marie Asbury isn't playing this role. They were absolute knockout when I saw them in the tour -- admittedly -- more than a few years ago.

Oh and I know this is really bitchy, but this is a very sexy show in which the ensemble uses every inch of their visible bodies. There was one gentleman in the ensemble whom I have to believe Bob Fosse would not cast. While this cast member is a very handsome man, I think may he have switched from skim milk to full cream. Doesn't quite fit the Fosse aesthetic. He also looked bored and disengaged on stage. Guessing he's been with the production a longtime.

Updated On: 10/28/13 at 03:12 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#274Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 11/24/13 at 8:12am

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

Here is a picture of me with Terra C at the Bass Concert Hall stage door (Tues. Nov. 19, 2013). I made the acquaintance of a nice young lady by the name of Lauren, who seems to be interning with the tour. (My camera wasn't working properly.) Lauren took the picture from her smart phone. (more camera problems) Anyway, I'm hoping to see the 7pm show tonite. However, Austin will be experiencing some nasty winter weather (ice, sleet, etc.) We don't normally get snow. Hopefully, the show will not be cancelled. I may have to take a taxi part of the way to get there. from RC in Austin, Texas (brrrrrrr)

Videos