pixeltracker

MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?- Page 11

MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#250MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 3:03pm

QueenAlice said: "Count me among those who would love to see an unknown as Ms. Doolittle. I would be surprised if Sher cast an actress as seasoned as Laura Benanti. I think he'll take a cue from Shaw's original play which states Eliza is "no older than 20.""

Let's not forget that Julie Andrews was only 20 years old when she originated the role of Eliza Doolittle on Broadway.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#251MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 3:22pm

Still rooting for Laura Benanti.  Worsham would be lovely, but this is Mrs. Benanti's part.  Wasn't Audrey Hepburn around Laura Benanti's age when she played Eliza?

Jeffrey Karasarides
#252MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 4:09pm

I believe Audrey Hepburn was 34 when she played Eliza in the film version. Almost four years younger than Laura Benanti would be by the time this production takes place.

Updated On: 3/7/17 at 04:09 PM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#253MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 4:36pm

Any chance Maggie Smith would play Mrs. Higgins?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#254MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 7:14pm

madbrian said: "Any chance Maggie Smith would play Mrs. Higgins?"

No.

Also, who the fvck cares how old Julie Andrews abd Audrey Hepburn were when they played the role? The truth is that Benanti would be sublime. We should be so lucky to witness that. Erivo would be my second choice though I imagine we'll have to wait a while before she returns to the stage given her future in film, I hope I'm wrong though.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#255MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 9:15pm

Scarlet Strallen would be the best.  Missy B is way too old and wrong. Mueller?  No way.

I think Osnes would rock this, but a nationwide search is in order and then cast Osnes anyway.

Danny B as Doolittle is inspired. And I would also love to see a color-blind casting for Eliza.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#256MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 10:24pm

I like idea of young and new or it being a breakthrough role for a former ensemble actor.

And the Scarlett Strallen idea. Her two sisters, Summer and Zizi, are a bit younger, but perform with similar style, flair, and voice would be great choices, too. (Fun fact about the Strllen sisters: 6 Olivier nominations between them and the oldest is only 34!)

I love Missy B, but I truly want to see someone younger in this and let Laura originate a fabulous new piece

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#257MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:45pm

Truly curious. Have we ever heard Cynthia Erivo p sing anything that is remotely in the soprano range for this role? 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

froote
#258MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:55pm

Cynthia Erivo is the new Laura Osnes for this board suggesting her for every single role.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#259MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:08am

Perhaps Cynthia can do the role as dubbed by Laura Osnes.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#260MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:07am

Sally Struthers for Mrs. Higgins. She was a marvelous Dolly.

sidwich
#261MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/8/17 at 3:16am

QueenAlice said: "Count me among those who would love to see an unknown as Ms. Doolittle. I would be surprised if Sher cast an actress as seasoned as Laura Benanti. I think he'll take a cue from Shaw's original play which states Eliza is "no older than 20.""

Let's not forget that Julie Andrews was only 20 years old when she originated the role of Eliza Doolittle on Broadway.

Or that Shaw wrote the part of Eliza for Mrs. Patrick Campbell to play at the age of 49.

sidwich
#262MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/8/17 at 3:17am

Or that Shaw wrote the part of Eliza for Mrs. Patrick Campbell to play at the age of 49.

LindaSmyth
#263MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/8/17 at 11:19am

I agree: Scarlett Strallen would be  terrific. I saw her as Amalia in She Loves Me at the Menier Chocolate Factory on January, and she was delightful. I also find her a stronger soprano than Laura Benanti. 

It would be nice to have a young-ish Professor Higgins. I kind of hate that they always cast men who are more than twenty years older than the actresses playing Eliza.

Sally Struthers would be a better Mrs. Pearce, I think.

Mary Beth Peil would be an awesome Mrs. Higgins.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#264MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:14pm

I also have a hunch Sher will cast a lot of Brits in this.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#265MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:32pm

^Just like how he cast a lot of Asians in The King & I and Jews in Fiddler on the Roof.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#266MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:37pm

Um well no. It's not the same as that at all.

Princeton2
#267MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/8/17 at 2:28pm

I'm usually a massive Scarlett fan but not sure I see her as Eliza, would be interesting to see. She is the only Stralmen who could. Summer doesn't have the voice or warmth and zizi was one of the weakest Mary poppins I've seen or heard

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#268MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/10/17 at 7:21pm

My bet is still on Kelli O'Hara. Bartlett Sher loves her. LCT management love her. LCT subscribers (myself included) love her. Most importantly Brantley ***LOVES*** her. 

There are actresses who may be funnier  (Laura Benanti) or more authentic (Laura Michelle Kelly), but Kelli will sing the role to perfection AND have the audience eating out of her hand..And why take chances on another actress when you know your subscribers and the NYT reviewer will be thrilled with Kelli? 

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#269MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/11/17 at 1:04am

I don't think age matters one bit. I'd chop at the bit to see O'hara in this. 

And weren't there Asians in King and I?.....

Neusimone
#270MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/11/17 at 2:06am

Would Phillipa Soo be too young?

Theatrefanboy1
#271MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/11/17 at 3:13am

So I may just to desperate to find a way for Julie Andrews to return to broadway. But because she's not directing the revival. Could she not play the role of mrs Higgins. I think it would be a great chance for her to be featured and possibly earn a tony as well has a bit of a homecoming.  An acting coach of mine has a very simple vocal condition as Julie Andrews and last year took on the role.  So maybe it would work for her as well 

Musicaldudepeter
#272MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/11/17 at 6:29am

BroadwayBaby6 said: "My bet is still on Kelli O'Hara. Bartlett Sher loves her. LCT management love her. LCT subscribers (myself included) love her. Most importantly Brantley ***LOVES*** her. 

There are actresses who may be funnier  (Laura Benanti) or more authentic (Laura Michelle Kelly), but Kelli will sing the role to perfection AND have the audience eating out of her hand..And why take chances on another actress when you know your subscribers and the NYT reviewer will be thrilled with Kelli? 

Didn't someone already say that O'Hara was doing Cosi Fan Tutte at the Met at the same time that this opens? So it's pretty much impossible that she'll do it? 

Also, she did an interview recently linked below where she is asked at the very end if she'd ever do My Fair Lady, and she basically says she thinks she's too old and that that ship has sailed… 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOZOVdhbusA

"

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#273MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/11/17 at 7:11pm

I would not mind this cast, http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/dream-cast-my-fair-lady-broadway_80329.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=10mar2017

It's pretty genius if you ask me.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Whateverjsays
#274MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 3/11/17 at 7:27pm

I think Laura Benanti should call in every favor she's got saved, this has been her dream role and has discussed how badly she wants to do it. I think she's got the vocal and acting chops down and she has the right amount of charisma for it. 

Videos