News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?- Page 13

MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#300MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 8:31pm

^Interesting.  I didn't know she had that ability.  She still wouldn't be a top pick for Eliza imo, but it's good to know that she has a lovely soprano.

Le Bete
#301MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 8:55pm

I joke about Laura Michelle Kelly?

Le Bete
#302MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 8:56pm

Kerry Ellis?

raw60
#303MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 10:33pm

Cynthia Erivo?

icecreambenjamin
#304MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/11/17 at 10:47pm

I read someone say on here that Lincoln Center won't cast Laura Benanti because of her "attendance issues."  I would like to remind everyone that Laura's absences from She Loves Me were related to her pregnancy and health, which she was keeping quiet at the time.  I can't recall her having such issues in any other show that she has starred in.  I think it was just due to her situation during the run.  I still believe that she is the best choice for this part.  She's a trained colatura soprano, she's a hilarious actress, and she's the most gorgeous woman on broadway.  Everything the role requires.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#305MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 6:02am

I will agree, Benanti is my number one choice. I don't think anybody could do it better. #BenantiOrBust

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#306MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 8:05am

Did Benanti have notable attendance issues during She Loves Me? Lincoln Center (and Bart Sher) have at least cast her once, in Women on the Verge- I can't see how much has changed since then. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#307MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 8:39am

As stated earlier, she started missing one or two performances a week closer to the end of the run due to her being pregnant. I believe they just made it an alternate position. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

nycward
#308MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 4:42pm

Not sure that Eliza will be a star at all. I would guess that landing a British film star for Higgins would be the draw and bring on a little known Ingenue for his muse. It certainly worked the first time around. MY dream choice would be Colin Firth.  Hmmmmmmmm

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#309MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 5:30pm

My choices for Eliza would be Shanice Williams (The Wiz Live!), Phillipa Soo or Benanti. 

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#310MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 5:38pm

Hmmmm, what about Carey Mulligan (who was talked about for a movie remake)?

Oh, forget that.  I just read that she doesn't enjoy singing in public.  Which could be a problem.

Updated On: 4/12/17 at 05:38 PM

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#311MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 6:57pm

If you look at the backgrounds of some of the people involved, you have to give Laura Osnes a pretty good chance. It's hard to believe that we have all aged nine years since that South Pacific revival premiered, but it was a lot of responsibility for a 22 year old virtually unknown actress to be picked to take over as female lead of this very expensive and prestigious production when Kelli O'Hara left on maternity leave. 

And the director, Bartlett Sher, must have been impressed with Laura since she took over as Nellie again when O'Hara left the show for good in January, 2010 and South Pacific ran for seven months more.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#312MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 7:13pm

Valentina3 said: "I tried to find Kelli videos from the NY Philharmonic production, but only found Rain In Spain. Agree that she looked and sounded great in it, but then again - she has never had issues with looking polished which Eliza already is by the time that song comes along. I want to see the cockney girl too, which is why my choice is Benanti. Denee/Phillipa/Jessie would totally slay too.

I was reminded of my favorite rendition of I Could've Danced All Night (Kristin Chenoweth's). Wish this revival was a thing 12 years ago, she'd have been glorious.

Oh,   Kelli's "I Could Have Danced All Night" used to be on there, but they took it down.  I feel like there was quite a bit of the show on there actually about 5 to 6 years ago, but it's all gone ):

Here's an audio link  to  Kelli's rendition of Danced All Night though: https://achorusgirl.tumblr.com/post/82439560155.    I can send you audio links of all of her solos though if you want: They all circulate around Tumblr. Just PM me and I can send them to you. 

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#313MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 7:20pm

I would LOVE to see Carey Mulligan in the role!!

icecreambenjamin
#314MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 8:10pm

Can Carey Mulligan sing?  I mean REALLY sing?

henrikegerman
#315MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:08pm

icecreambenjamin said: "Can Carey Mulligan sing?  I mean REALLY sing?"

I'm not quite sure how much of a live singer she REALLY is.   But her soprano sounded lovely in Far From the Madding Crowd (incidental singing), and she was being considered for Emma Thompson's (script) remake of My Fair Lady (which has been shelved).

But as I said she reportedly doesn't like singing even on film, and especially not in public.  So it ain't going to happen.

Still, there's no one I would rather see as Eliiza.... in Pygmalion if not in My Fair Lady.

"

Updated On: 4/12/17 at 09:08 PM

Butter Broadway
#316MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:11pm

She's a brilliant actress, and could take singing lessons. I think she would be perfect honestly.

henrikegerman
#317MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:16pm

Butter Broadway said: "She's a brilliant actress, and could take singing lessons. I think she would be perfect honestly."

Did you see her in Skylight, Butter?  I will never forget that performance.

"

Updated On: 4/12/17 at 09:16 PM

icecreambenjamin
#318MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:19pm

Butter Broadway said: "She's a brilliant actress, and could take singing lessons. I think she would be perfect honestly.

"

I do like her as an actress, but Eliza is an incredibly difficult singing part that is hard for even trained voices.  I don't see anyone like Carey Mulligan or Anne Hathaway being able to sing this score 8 times a week.

henrikegerman
#319MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:20pm

I agree Eliza must be a seriously trained vocalist.  I really don't know how much of a trained singer Mulligan is.

I would love to see Celia Keenan-Bolger as Eliza.

Updated On: 4/12/17 at 09:20 PM

icecreambenjamin
#320MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:22pm

henrikegerman said: "I would love to see Celia Keenan-Bolger as Eliza.

Wow, interesting!  She would act the part brilliantly, but how is her soprano?  I've always thought of her as kind of a belty alto.

Edit: I actually just listened to her sing from Sweeney Todd and she really does have a strong soprano.  I also forgot that she played Clara in The Light in the Piazza before it came to Broadway!  The more ya know!

Updated On: 4/12/17 at 09:22 PM

henrikegerman
#321MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:26pm

Celia played Johanna in Sweeney at the Kennedy Center and Clara in Light in the Piazza at the Goodman.

I do like a lot of the ideas on this thread.  But I'm really curious what others think of Celia, because I really think she'd be an inspired choice.  

Updated On: 4/12/17 at 09:26 PM

Butter Broadway
#322MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:27pm

Yes, I loved her in Skylight. Thought she was brilliant.

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#323MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:32pm

The age gap for this show is tricky when it comes to casting. I saw the tour of it several years ago, when I believe Lisa O'Hare was Eliza, and her Higgins (Christopher Cazenove, I think?) looked so much older than her that it was a little disconcerting. It's like Jane Austen's Emma - you have to stay true to the story and characters, but not such a huge gap that the romance angle becomes awkward. 

That said, I'd be all for Laura Benanti for Eliza! 

Butter Broadway
#324MY FAIR LADY Revival Back On For Next Spring?
Posted: 4/12/17 at 9:39pm

That's the tricky thing about picking someone young if your Higgins is going to be in his 50s or 60s. Didn't they say they were looking into getting someone new? We might end up with Kelli O'Hara, Jessie Mueller, Laura Osnes, or Laura Benanti. My choice would be Mueller or Mulligan.

Videos