pixeltracker

Betty Buckley "DOLLY" opening in Cleveland/ Casting News ?- Page 13

Betty Buckley "DOLLY" opening in Cleveland/ Casting News ?

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#300Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 8:58am

Thank You dmwnc1959...I thoroughly enjoyed your reports and photos!

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#301Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 3:30pm

Hi dmwnc1959. Thank you so much for all your posts on Dolly in Cleveland! Theatre looks beautiful. The good review written by a woman seemed very on target. A woman who is 71 and looks it and moves like one makes Dolly Levi a poignant moving character. I hope to see it again down the line.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#302Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 4:23pm

bwayphreak234 and Melissa25, THANK YOU for the kind words, I’m thrilled that you’ve enjoyed my pictures and reports.

EthelMae: I think that many of us were spoiled by Bernadette, Bette, and Donna’s run on Broadway, and the prolonged deafening applause and numerous standing ovations during and after those shows may have had us expecting a clone to show up on the tour and be them. Betty Buckley will make Dolly her own, just like all the others were different. Some folks here expressed concern over Betty Buckley’s ability to do a comedic roll. Like Bernadette was different from Bette and Donna, Betty too will pull this off in her own way. I’ve seen the results, and it will only get better. 

And I’m sure for starters the tour will take it’s toll on her with countless interviews at every single stop, and with the Utica Previews and Opening Week hoops to jump through in two cities in the first week’s time, she was probably exhausted. She’ll have to adjust her regiment and adapt to this “city-to-city trek and multiple performances a week”. I saw one Instagram picture of her sleeping on a couch covered head-to-toe in coats and jackets. It broke your heart.

At some point in time she’ll have to use her understudy, and maybe give up a show once a week. Not all 70-year old people can do what she’s trying to do. And I’m sure the tour producers went through that with her when they negotiated her contract, letting her know what she was in for over the first year.

The show is in good shape. That much was reported by another forum poster here from Utica. I was reading more Instagram and Twitter comments today and people loved her and the show. Like I said before, seeing the show twice back-to-back over two nights I noticed differences and changes critics may not have seen in their one viewing. 

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, should see this show, and give the show, and Betty Buckley, a chance. Don’t go in expecting Bernadette or Bette. Expect different, yet the same. I came out of both performances grinning ear to ear having seen something I absolutely adored and loved. I can’t say that for a lot of shows I’ve seen but still enjoyed. That level which “Hello, Dolly!” reaches into our hearts and souls is beyond what most all other shows have ever done. Somehow it touches us. And with Betty Buckley at the helm, it will continue to be a classic. 

Updated On: 10/8/18 at 04:23 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#303Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 4:42pm

How large was the orchestra?

dmwnc1959, thank you for those photos.  That theatre is absolutely gorgeous!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#304Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 4:56pm

DottieD'Luscia said: "How large was the orchestra?

dmwnc1959, thank you for those photos. That theatre is absolutely gorgeous!
"

THANK YOU! 

And here’s what the Playhouse Square’s “Hello, Dolly!” show program listed for the orchestra...

Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly

tvgus2
#305Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 6:36pm

Is there any window card for sale at the theater?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#306Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 6:39pm

See post #284 in this thread.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#307Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 7:28pm

dmwnc1959 said: "bwayphreak234 and Melissa25, THANK YOU for the kind words, I’m thrilled that you’ve enjoyed my pictures and reports.

EthelMae: I think that many of us were spoiled by Bernadette,Bette, and Donna’srun on Broadway, and the prolonged deafening applause and numerous standing ovations during and after thoseshows may havehad us expecting a clone to show up on the tour and be them. Betty Buckley will make Dolly her own, just like all the others were different. Some folks here expressed concern over Betty Buckley’s ability to do a comedic roll. Like Bernadette wasdifferent from Bette and Donna, Betty too will pull this off in her own way. I’ve seen the results, and it will only get better.

And I’m sure for starters the tour will take it’stoll on her with countless interviews at every single stop, and with the Utica Previews and Opening Week hoops to jump through in two cities in the firstweek’s time, she was probably exhausted.She’ll have to adjust her regiment and adapt to this “city-to-city trek and multiple performances a week”. I saw one Instagram picture of her sleeping ona couch covered head-to-toe in coats and jackets. It broke your heart.

At some point in time she’ll have to use her understudy, and maybe give up a show once a week. Not all 70-yearold people can do what she’s trying to do. And I’m sure the tour producers went through that with her when they negotiated her contract, letting her know what she was in for over the first year.

The show is in good shape. That much was reported by another forum poster here from Utica. I was reading more Instagram and Twitter comments today and people loved her and the show. Like I said before, seeing the show twice back-to-back over two nights I noticed differences and changes critics may not have seen in their one viewing.

Everyone, and I do mean everyone, should see this show, and givethe show, and Betty Buckley, a chance. Don’t go in expecting Bernadette or Bette. Expect different, yet the same. I came out of both performances grinning ear to ear having seen something I absolutely adored and loved. I can’t say that for a lot of shows I’ve seen but stillenjoyed. That level which “Hello, Dolly!” reaches into our hearts and souls is beyond what most all other shows have ever done.Somehow it touches us. And with Betty Buckley at the helm, it will continue to be a classic.

"

I have really been enjoying your posts.    Being devils advocate here for the fun of it.  I wonder if Betty needs to settle or this is just her and this is as good as it gets.  Just a different Dolly.   This isn't King Lear.    How long does one need to settle in?   I never thought Bernadette quite settled in .  Even after a few viewings throughout the run.  But it is probably just me since I thought her casting was odd from the very beginning.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

tvgus2
#308Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 8:14pm

Does Betty Buckley stage door anymore. Last time she did a play in SoCal she didn't stage door. 

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#309Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 8:30pm

They've only had 11 performances in 2 cities!! I haven't seen it yet, but Betty will inevitably settle in and feel more comfortable over the next few weeks. And it's the biggest musical theatre role she's done since Dear World in London (2013)... and before that, I think her last last big musical lead was Gypsy at Paper Mill in 1998! 

What's also worth remembering: there is nothing like a New York audience. And I've experienced few things like the New York Dolly audiences. In New York, audiences went in knowing they'd love it, especially during Bette's run; on tour, the cast might actually have to work a little harder. While the audiences will love and appreciate the tour, there's probably not going to be the deafening response and multiple ovations that Bette and Bernadette had. Betty Buckley is a talented lady who some audiences will know, but her fanbase is different than the Broadway Dollys.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#310Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 8:41pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "They've only had 11 performances in 2 cities!! I haven't seen it yet, butBetty will inevitably settle in and feel more comfortableover the next few weeks. And it's the biggest musical theatre role she's done sinceDear Worldin London (2013)... and before that, I think her last last big musical lead wasGypsy at Paper Mill in 1998!

What's also worth remembering: there is nothing like a New York audience. And I've experienced few things like the New York Dollyaudiences.In New York, audiences went inknowingthey'dlove it, especially during Bette's run; on tour, the cast might actually have to work a little harder. While the audienceswill love and appreciate the tour,there's probablynotgoing to be the deafening response and multiple ovations that Bette and Bernadette had. Betty Buckley is a talented lady who some audiences will know, but herfanbase is different than the Broadway Dollys.
"

That is all mostly valid.  But throughout the years there have been Dolly's that have been absolutely glorious with just a few days of rehearsals.   Ahh the good old summer stock days.... I miss them.   I am just saying...  everyone is paying a pretty penny for their to be so many excuses.  ( just playing devils advocate.. really looking forward to seeing her in this)

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#311Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 8:48pm

DAME said: “Being devils advocate here for the fun of it. I wonder if Betty needs to settle or this is just her and this is as good as it gets. Just a different Dolly. This isn't King Lear. How long does one need to settle in? I never thought Bernadette quite settled in . Even after a few viewings throughout the run. But it is probably just me since I thought her casting was odd from the very beginning."

I think you make a point, and one I kind of eluded to, in that this is a different Dolly. But since Betty Buckley is more singer than comedian, and her vocals were very strong, she’ll find out in time what works and doesn’t to improve her role. I don’t know how long it’ll take her to “comedically” settle in, I just don’t think people should go to this thinking they’re going to see Bernadette or Bette. And I personally LOVED Bernadette. Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly  

A friend of mine saw the show Sunday, her first time, and commented that the storyline was thin and weak, liked only some of the songs, thought the courtroom eating scene went on for too long, and had her favorite cast members and those that were somewhat irritating. Overall a one-and-done for her. Yet I’d see this show a dozen times if I could afford it! However, I wouldn’t pay to see Bette more than once. To each their own. 

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#312Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 8:52pm

tvgus2 said: "Is there any window card for sale at the theater?”

LizzieCurry said: "See post #284 in this thread."

This also from post 292:

“I did chat with the manager of the souvenir concessions and he said that the window cards weren’t even on their radar when determining what to sell. I let him know that I had purchased most all of my window cards from the National Tours, paying upwards of $60-100 for one that was cast-signed. He told me tonight that he had put a bug in corporate’s ear and “we’ll see what happens”.”

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#313Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 8:58pm

dmwnc1959 said: "DAME said: “Being devils advocate here for the fun of it. I wonder if Betty needs to settle or this is just her and this is as good as it gets. Just a different Dolly. This isn't King Lear. How long does one need to settle in? I never thought Bernadette quite settled in . Even after a few viewings throughout the run. But it is probably just me since I thought her casting was odd from the very beginning."

I think you make a point, and one I kind of eluded to, in that this is a different Dolly. Butsince Betty Buckley is more singer than comedian, and her vocals were very strong, she’ll find out in time what works and doesn’t to improve her role. I don’t know how long it’ll take her to “comedically” settle in,I just don’t think people should go to this thinking they’re going to see Bernadette or Bette. And I personally LOVED Bernadette. Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly

A friend of mine saw the show Sunday, her first time, and commented that the storyline was thin and weak, liked only some of the songs, thought the courtroom eating scene went on for too long, and had her favorite cast members and those that were somewhat irritating.Overall a one-and-done for her. Yet I’d see this show a dozen times if I could afford it! However, I wouldn’t pay to see Bette more than once. To each their own.

"

If Bette ever did it again I am so there.  Actually hoping for a trip to London next year.  Aren't we lucky we have gotten so many different Dolly's?

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#314Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 9:02pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "What's also worth remembering: there is nothing like a New York audience. And I've experienced few things like the New York Dolly audiences.”

You said a mouthful there. Those audiences, me among them, were freaking nuts. But the tour IS different. It was like the Cleveland audience weren’t always sure when to clap: while the scene was happening, after it was done, sometimes it started off slow and built to a thunderous applause while the cast waited for it. I even mentioned it earlier about the Overture for the show and how both audiences reacted completely different. 

DAME: are you seeing this in Chicago?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#315Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 9:04pm

dmwnc1959 said: "SomethingPeculiar said: "What's also worth remembering: there isnothinglike a New York audience. And I've experienced few things like the New YorkDollyaudiences.”

You said a mouthful there. Those audiences, me among them, were freakingnuts. Butthe tour IS different. Itwas like the Cleveland audienceweren’t always sure when to clap: while the scene was happening,after it was done, sometimes it started off slow and built to a thunderous applause while the cast waited for it. I even mentioned it earlier about the Overturefor the show and how both audiences reacted completely different.

DAME: are you seeing this in Chicago?

"

Funny you ask that.  Because I almost was.  But seeing it in LA.    You think she will settle in by then?  LOL   

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#316Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 9:08pm

DAME said: "Aren't we lucky we have gotten so many different Dolly's?"

Depending on one’s timing and abilities they could have seen Bette, Bernadette, Donna, and Betty. All four of them in less than a three month time span. 

Updated On: 10/8/18 at 09:08 PM

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#317Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 9:11pm

DAME said: "Funny you ask that. Because I almost was. But seeing it in LA. You think she will settle in by then? LOL "

(as you play devil’s advocate) 

wink

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#318Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 9:20pm

dmwnc1959 said: "DAME said: "Funny you ask that. Because I almost was. But seeing it in LA. You think she will settle in by then? LOL "

(as you play devil’s advocate)

wink
"

I do like having fun.  ??

HelloDanny Profile Photo
HelloDanny
#319Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 9:24pm

Awesome photos dmwnc1959

It looks like a poster in your last photo with your Playbill and magnet?  Did you score a poster?

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#320Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/8/18 at 9:31pm

HelloDanny said: "Awesome photosdmwnc1959

It looks like a poster in your last photo with your Playbill and magnet? Did you score a poster?
"

The magnet I got from the tour souvenir stand, the poster was procured “elsewhere” outside of theater and it’s almost one of a kind, or at least the only one I saw anywhere in Cleveland. I did chat with the manager of the souvenir concessions and he said that the window cards weren’t even on their radar when determining what to sell. He told me that he had put a bug in corporate’s ear and “we’ll see what happens”. Maybe one will come out much later in the tour. That particular poster I have now is specific to Cleveland with the tour dates and theater name.

Updated On: 10/8/18 at 09:31 PM

cotous6
#321Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/9/18 at 11:02am

This video really put a smile on my face!!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/VIDEO-Betty-Buckley-And-The-Cast-Of-HELLO-DOLLY-Take-Opening-Night-Bows-20181009

I can't wait to see it when it comes to Miami.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#322Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/19/18 at 12:19pm

I saw the tour last night (front row).

I thought Betty looked terrified during the entire "I Put My Hand In" sequence, but when she re-appeared for the scene in Vandergelder's store, it seemed like she had flipped a switch and it was suddenly 'game on.' Total confidence for the rest of the performance.

I've been following the newspaper and online reviews as well as comments of other members here and it seems that she's settling into the role and finding her performance.  She was genuinely in tears during many of her scenes and kept dabbing at her eyes with a handkerchief or her hands. Very effective during the monologue to Ephraim preceding "Before The Parade Passes By."

"So Long Dearie" was the highlight of the evening for me.  I still think that's one of the best 11 o'clock numbers ever written.

Perhaps someone else already mentioned this, but I don't remember. Regarding "Elegance" - the main show curtain rose on the four characters already center stage, and after just a few bars, they launched into the song.  No introduction or walking on in time to the music. Is that how the scene started in the Broadway staging?

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#323Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/19/18 at 1:06pm

sbflyfan said: "Perhaps someone else already mentioned this, but I don't remember. Regarding "Elegance" - the main show curtain rose on the four characters already center stage, and after just a few bars, they launched into the song.  No introduction or walking on in time to the music. Is that how the scene started in the Broadway staging?"

I think it went more like this...

After “Penney In My Pocket”, the main show curtain rose and Cornelius and Barnaby are already on stage along with Irene and Minnie, with a street scene backdrop. The guys are on one side (stage left) and the girls on the other (stage right). Irene comments about the rich counting their money as the guys discuss how much they have. This was followed with dialogue between Irene and Cornelius about getting to the Harmonia Gardens, to which it ended with the suggestion that if they really wanted to be elegant, that they walk. Minnie comments that she’s been elegant all her life and never knew it. That’s when the song started with it ending as they exited stage left. 

Updated On: 10/19/18 at 01:06 PM

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#324Betty Buckley in Hello Dolly
Posted: 10/19/18 at 5:31pm

dmwnc1959 said: "sbflyfan said:

After “Penney In My Pocket”, the main show curtain rose and Cornelius and Barnaby are already on stage along with Irene and Minnie,with a street scene backdrop. The guys are on one side (stage left) and the girls on the other (stage right). Irene comments about the rich counting their money as the guys discuss how much they have.This was followed with dialogue between Irene and Cornelius about getting to the Harmonia Gardens, to which it ended with the suggestion that if they really wanted to be elegant, that they walk. Minnie comments that she’s been elegant all her life and never knew it. That’s when the song started with it ending as they exited stage left.
"

You're right... I forgot about that dialogue.  I think I'm confusing it with another production I saw. I'm also not used to "Penny In My Pocket" starting act 2.

Thanks for clarifying! :)

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

Videos