pixeltracker

The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill- Page 14

The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill

bwayobsessed
#325The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/7/15 at 11:45am

Why is everyone complaining about and apparently so offended by the tragedy of the story. Sure it's dark and sad but it is also extremely beautiful and passionate. An audience doesn't give a standing ovation, before the last note ends at any show. I certainly did not have the same experience as the rest of you did in which the audience was completely and utterly depressed after seeing it. 

thedrybandit
#326The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/7/15 at 1:46pm

"Why is everyone complaining about and apparently so offended by the tragedy of the story. Sure it's dark and sad but it is also extremely beautiful and passionate. An audience doesn't give a standing ovation, before the last note ends at any show. I certainly did not have the same experience as the rest of you did in which the audience was completely and utterly depressed after seeing it. "

I definitely didn't have a depressed audience experience either - all three times I went, I heard nothing but good things being said around me. Not sure when everyone else went, but it seems like I saw a completely different show.

Oh, and I was at the last show, when they did get that standing ovation before the last note ended The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill

owenblinky
#327The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/7/15 at 8:49pm

Esmeralda dying and Quasimodo choosing to live life in the face of adversity was a sad but touching ending. Quasimodo choosing to commit suicide by burying himself alive and spooning with a corpse is just vile

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#328The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/8/15 at 12:39am

I think the ending with Quasimodo commiting himself to die with Esmeralda's corpse is wistfully romantic and beautiful.

Updated On: 4/16/15 at 12:39 AM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#329The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 5/10/15 at 1:36pm

Any updates of what's next? What happened to Chicago or France?

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#330The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 5/10/15 at 1:41pm

I think the Chicago rumor  was just blowing smoke. I could see it doing well in France though. Disney always does this when one of their show fails and they have to put up a tough front and say the show is onto "better things" like a national tour or going to some country. Disney needs to take a breather, assess what went wrong with this production and hopefully re-tool it in another area for a Broadway opening at some point in this future. It has so much potential to be great.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...
Updated On: 5/10/15 at 01:41 PM

pnewelljr
#331The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:35am

I've only read good reviews for it from what I've seen (media outlets), so what went wrong?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#332The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:52am

It ended up being relentlessly bleak. The set was too cramped and the staging was really weak.

It needs to be re-thought, but I think this may be the version they're keeping.

I don't think it would last very long on Broadway.

....but the world goes 'round

neonlightsxo
#333The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:58am

pnewelljr, it was bad.

CatastrophicDay Profile Photo
CatastrophicDay
#334The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:03am

The darkness was actually fine by me, but then they would have a weirdly humorous scene that did not fit with the rest of the tone. So it was uneven, and the audience was unsure whether to laugh or not.

The staging did need some work. Parts of the set were great (the bells, for one) but then things like Quasimodo's dramatic rescue at the end were almost laughable. 

Another issue that's been mentioned is the giant chorus. I think it was 44 people. It was wonderful to have, especially for songs like the opening and Hellfire, but would be tricky on a long term show. 

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#335The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:11am

I pretty much agree with all of those criticisms.

The chorus was crazy big, especially since playing area was so constrained by the set.

And yea, Quasi's final save-the-day moment was ridiculous.

I actually can't recall one humorous bit.

I love the score though. And Arden was excellent.

....but the world goes 'round
Updated On: 7/14/15 at 11:11 AM

pnewelljr
#336The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:17am

I know, I feel like the music is so good it can't even matter that the book sucked.

disneybroadwayfan22
#337The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 7/14/15 at 11:25am

Alan Menken confirmed that this is NOT going on Broadway, mostly likely not at all.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Interview-Alan-Menken-Get-His-Wish-for-DUDDY-KRAVITZ-Musical-Talks-Broadway-Goals-Hunchback-and-More-20150710

pnewelljr
#338The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 7/14/15 at 2:33pm

Well he confirmed that this rendition isn't going anyways. 

pnewelljr
#339The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 12/8/15 at 3:46pm

Anyone by chance have a recording of this at papermill? I have been looking everywhere to no avail The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill

thedrybandit
#340The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 12/8/15 at 3:55pm

There are a few audio and video recordings floating around online. Can't point you directly to one, but I know I've seen them around.

pnewelljr
#341The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 12/8/15 at 4:14pm

Thanks, yah, I know they exist, but just not where I can actually get one. I've never done bootlegs before so have nothing to trade unfortunately.

thedrybandit
#342The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 12/9/15 at 7:13pm

On a similar note, the album is officially up for pre-order on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunchback-Notre-HUNCHBACK-STUDIO-RECORDING/dp/B018RZ7TJO/

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#343The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 12/9/15 at 7:37pm

But still no track list. This is getting ridiculous.

disneybroadwayfan22
#344The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 8/11/16 at 10:37pm

Uhhhhhhh....this is 50,000x better than what got spewed up the last two years

http://www.playbill.com/article/see-disneys-hunchback-of-notre-dame-with-outdoor-staging

JennH
#345The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 8/11/16 at 11:18pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "Uhhhhhhh....this is 50,000x better than what got spewed up the last two years

http://www.playbill.com/article/see-disneys-hunchback-of-notre-dame-with-outdoor-staging

"

Yeah but the horrid redone script is still there...this certainly looks wonderful, and hope it's blocked well, but that doesn't hide the horrid rewriting they did. 

LisaLB
nycgogetter
#347The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 8/13/16 at 11:15pm

the papermill production is going to the Tokyo production this fall/winter.

regional theaters are mounting their own productions.

there are talks of a European tour, and perhaps the west end.  The show will need to be tinkered to fit a traditional commercial theater model . . . if you want the chorus, what do you give up.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#348The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 8/14/16 at 3:29am

Give up the choir. That's a stupid concept for a commercial production. Just cast some strong singers and you'll be okay. The book is, honestly, the worst part of the show. The narration needs to go. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#349The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 8/14/16 at 10:47am

I don't really understand the need for the chorus. An ensemble of 20 singers, with the addition of vocal sweetening if they really wanted a bigger sound, would have worked just fine but now if they do that they'll be criticized.

Videos