News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

LESTAT - The New Carrie!- Page 14

LESTAT - The New Carrie!

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#325re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/10/06 at 3:09pm

The more I read about this, the more I am getting offended for Carrie by the comparison.
At least that had some moments of brilliance.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#326re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/10/06 at 3:11pm

To this day, I regret not seeing Carrie when I had the chance.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

FindingNamo
#327re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/10/06 at 3:19pm

And that's why this is completely different from Carrie. As much as people want it to be the "new" Carrie, anybody who wants to see Lestat still has time. That was the beauty of what made Carrie, CARRIE. Very few people had the chance to see it and many more people regret not seeing it to this day.

Not me, I was there at the first Broadway preview.

Because Carrie was gone in an instant, those of us who saw it, statistically speaking, were more like lottery winners than flop collectors hoping that THIS show will give them bragging rights.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

#328re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/10/06 at 4:54pm

And did you like it, Namo?

FindingNamo
#329re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/10/06 at 5:28pm

I wouldn't have missed it for the world. And I remember so many details of the Carrie/Margaret scenes. Fan-tas-tic.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#330re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/10/06 at 5:52pm

I remember working with a director that saw it opening night. I brought it up and all she could do was laugh about it.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#331re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 12:18am

I went strictly as a Panaro fan not knowing a thing and loved it. And I saw it 4/1 EponineThenardier, and the make out scene thing was in it though I don't get it cuz I don't belive Lestat is gay though I take it Armand and marius are. But regardless I loved it, I think Carolee needed something in act 2 but its fine she didnt because Fischer was amazing, she was the highlight in the show. A bright new talent IMO. And the show will had some wonderful lighting effects as well as the performances I really don't think it shall do so badly.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#332re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 12:20am

I saw it this weekend. I'll be posting my review soon, as soon as I can focus on it.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#333re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 12:49am

I saw the show for a second time tonight, and I have to say, I think they have made some vast improvements. I was shocked. The whole first half of Act One seemed to be clarified, with many slight alterations really adding up to a better show. I was impressed.

I went to see it with a friend of mine who is a huge fan of all the books, and she really liked it, and thought the show was very faithful, except she hated Drew Sarich and thought he was terribly miscast. We also agreed that Jim Stanek's wig is a little scary.

I felt the tone of the show was more even. The actors seemed to tweak their performances slightly so that whether or not the lines the audience laughed at were SUPPOSED to be humorous, the actors were in on the joke. For example, even though I Want More is a highlight of the show, it seemed very out of place because Jim and Hugh were still playing totally straight serious vampires and Allison was practically on a different stage. Now, the actors all play the scene like they are in on the joke.

Overall, I think great improvements have been made. Also, I didn't realize the first time how GORGEOUS the costumes are. Go Susan Hilferty!

This show will definitely do better business than everyone has been predicting.

And I don't think it's ANYTHING like Carrie. The subject of vampires is treated like the subject of vampires. (As opposed to the subject of an average suffering adolescent with crazy supernatural powers being treated like a greek tragedy in togas/ 80's leather disco-mania.) The vampires predictably drink blood. (As opposed to teenage boys in leather and studs slaughtering pigs while performing dangerous choreography and smearing their chests with pig blood.) Lestat turns his mother into a vampire so she can live forever. (Carrie the teenage girl is stabbed by her mother and then touches her and kills her, as she crawls down an enormous white staircase covered in blood.)

Lestat has its flaws, but what you see onstage is never as unbelievable as Carrie or even close. In My Life was more Carrie- like, in my opinion.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#334re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:05am

Glad to hear it Frenzy. =)

Some people who are really into the books have expressed disatisfaction with Drew. Aparently he is a far cry from the original character of the book, both physically and personality wise. So I'm not surprised that your friend didn't like him.

"We also agreed that Jim Stanek's wig is a little scary"

The funny part is, I'm assuming it's a wig, except that his hair is VERY much like that in real life. You should check out the Lestat video diarys and see what I mean. re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!

munkustrap178
#335re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:08am

FAITHFUL TO THE NOVELS?

HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

That has got to be a joke!

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#336re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:10am

Eponine- That's so funny, because that's exactly what I said! I was like "Well I saw him in Slut, and his actual hair's pretty scary too..." Poor guy, haha... I really like him in the show though!

Another funny note: The extreme tourists behind me were so impressed with Carolee Carmello that they insisted they were going to go "buy her CDs, even if they were Broadway". I was half disgusted, half amused.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#337re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:12am

Well, I think she meant they were faithful to the books, within the constraints of time and condensing of plot...

I really want to read them now. My friend made the relationship between Lestat and Gabrielle sound very interesting in the books...

munkustrap178
#338re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:20am

The musical bears literally no resemblance to the books - if my memory serves me correctly, which it usually does.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#339re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:24am

ITF, how does the show open now?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

munkustrap178
#340re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:28am

With a voiceover about killing wolves.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#341re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:33am

Hmm, that's how the show started in SF. Interesting.

Was it something like, "In my 21st year, I set out on horseback to kill a pack of wolves," followed by some bad fading in-and-out projections of biting wolves and blood slashes?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

munkustrap178
#342re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:37am

Exactly.

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#343re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 1:45am

Damn. What about the ending? Has that been changed?

EddieVarley Profile Photo
EddieVarley
#344re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 9:12am

Please let's keep the fangs off poor CARRIE, having seen the original production I can safely say that nothing in LESTAT comes anywhere near the thrill of the Carrie/Margaret scenes, Betty Buckley gave one of the greatest performances I've ever seen.

...AND EVE WAS WEAK, would chill your soul (in a good way!).

FindingNamo
#345re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 9:31am

EXACTLY Mr. EddieVarley.

And how can the following be taken as a good thing? "The actors seemed to tweak their performances slightly so that whether or not the lines the audience laughed at were SUPPOSED to be humorous, the actors were in on the joke."

Perhaps they can bring on the Dance of the Vampires penis sponge for a cameo?

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#346re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 9:47am

Namo, I found that an odd post as well. Wouldnt that make Lestat an entirely different show? I thought it was serious story telling, not a spoof or parody.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#347re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 11:21am

Well in my opinion, there are a few parody- like little moments now, but I accepted the semi- uneven tone more willingly since the actors were acting like there were supposed to be a few little jokes thrown in there...

FindingNamo
#348re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 11:52am

When Brooke Shields was a young'n she was once a guest star on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. As she entered from behind the curtain she WIPED OUT on the slippery floor and landed painfully on all fours. Johnny leapt to his feet and she got up and walked over to her seat.

"Are you all right?" he asked with great concern.

"I meant to do that," she insisted.

"No, seriously, are you okay?"

"Yeah. I meant to do that."

That's what this makes me think of: "since the actors were acting like there were supposed to be a few little jokes thrown in there..."

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#349re: LESTAT - The New Carrie!
Posted: 4/11/06 at 11:56am

So this is supposed to be a comedy?

Videos