pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 141

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

kudelicek
#3500Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/27/14 at 7:34pm

Off topic
Some people said they dont't like J. Depp as wolf, his costume etc. I expected another wolf too. So if I could only comparion.
I am from Czech Republic (and unfortunately Czech premiere of ITW will be - don't know why - 2nd April) and this summer our filmmakers made a movie musical fairytale THREE BROTHERS. This movie is based by three little children's whole-sung musical fairytale (Red Riding Hood, Sleeping Beauty and The Twelve Months; one Brother saved RRH and grandmother, other kiss SB etc.) by our popular children songwriters. In the story RRH we haad the wolf - it was big puppet, bigger than a person...
I would like to know do you like THIS WOLF in a movie (more then Depp visual)? Yes, I know ITW story needs more human wolf but it's true I thought about different Mr. Wolf...

Some pictures
Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

And english trailer of THREE BROTHERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vea0K8BO30

Updated On: 11/27/14 at 07:34 PM

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#3501Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/27/14 at 8:18pm

Thank you kudelicek. Can you make that one image of the wolf touching Little Red Riding hood smaller, though? I think a real-looking wolf costume would be better for the Wolf in this film, too. But I think the wolf costume from The Three Brothers is too big and looks a little fake. The head is amazing but I think the rest is too much. The Wolf is supposed to be a little sexier with his body. The trailer for The Three Brother's looked good though.

Another costume for the Wolf I thought would be great is from the first London production of Into the Woods. Here's a clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeKF1eYuC78

I think Johnny Depp should be in a costume that makes him look like a real wolf, just standing upright and in clothes from the same "Once upon a time" period everyone else has, and that is not bigger than the costume worn in the original production of Into the Woods.

I want to talk about the ending of the Into the Woods film I read spoilers about, but I don't know how to make a spoiler tag for it. Can anyone help me out with that?

Starship
#3502Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/27/14 at 8:34pm

I feel as if that version of the Wolf would be way too terrifying for Disney audiences. Plus, I think it looks slightly Muppet-y and cartoony. I also think the costume choice for the ITW movie is more the way it is due to the fact that it shows off Johnny Depp. I don't think Disney wanted a costume/look for the Wolf that would make it difficult for audiences to figure out if it was Johnny Depp.

kudelicek
#3503Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/27/14 at 8:43pm

Yes, true...

Only one more picture

jimmycurry01
#3504Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/27/14 at 8:57pm

I like the idea of the Tex Avery inspired wolf. I used to love those red riding hood cartoons when I was a kid.

dannyboy_18 Profile Photo
dannyboy_18
#3505Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/14 at 1:01am

Lucky enough to have seen a screening in Sydney Australia last night.

By far, the most popular cast member was Chris Pine. Every line of his got a laugh, and his Agony with Billy Magnussen was the only song to get a round of applause. Expect noms for him in the GG's and maybe Oscar.

Meryl is everything you expected. Whether she is 2014's standout is up to the Gods.

The most heart came from - unexpectedly, Mackenzie Mauzy's Rapunzel and Magnussen's Other Prince. Anna Kendrick was also great as Cinderella.

Overall, if you loved the show, you'll love the movie. It is very faithful to the original.

Love DaNnYbOy xxxxxooooo --- CAN'T WAIT 4 EVITA!!! RICKY MARTIN I LOVE U! (Marry me pleeaaaase!!!!!)
Updated On: 11/28/14 at 01:01 AM

xoffender45
#3506Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/14 at 2:12am

Updated On: 11/28/14 at 02:12 AM

Erzlump
#3507Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/14 at 4:51am

I for one never minded the costume from the Regents Park Production, which is even more minimalistic than Johnnys :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT3Zeah-bJE

But I guess it's better to have a more wolf like costume when the one that's playing Little Red isn't an adult.

Showface
#3508Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/14 at 11:41am

I think the London wolf looks too fake...Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

"I want to talk about the ending of the Into the Woods film I read spoilers about, but I don't know how to make a spoiler tag for it. Can anyone help me out with that?"

I read spoilers on IMDB...the best we can do is type "SPOILERS".

The spoilers are here on this thread page https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180411/board/thread/237185286?p=6

Now,

SPOILERS!!

The ending may not seem like much, but the poster (who writes more thoughts about the film on other pages) said that the ending is better than in the leaked script because the characters coming back would not make since because they are "real". I agree.

END OF SPOILERS!!

Hagenisnotakitty Profile Photo
Hagenisnotakitty
#3509Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/14 at 12:54pm

Can anyone say if "A Very Nice Prince" is still a song? In the samples, all we hear is spoken dialogue. Thanks. :)

Showface
#3510Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/14 at 1:06pm

^It is, but the reprise is cut.

Showface
#3511Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/14 at 2:55pm

Colleen Atwood, Into the Woods (Disney) and Big Eyes (The Weinstein Co.)

Atwood with Streep's blue dress, Rapunzel's gown and Little Red's riding hood for Into the Woods

Atwood already has been lauded by AMPAS for her costumes in Rob Marshall’s film versions of three Tony-winning musicals — with Oscars for 2002’s Chicago and 2005’s Memoirs of a Geisha and a nom for Nine in 2009. But Atwood considers their fourth film collaboration, Into the Woods, to be “one of those wonderful projects where you get to spend a lot of time on the costumes. This is my love letter to the textiles, crafts artists and embroiderers.”

Meryl Streep’s Witch stands out with her transformation from a gray crone into a godmother, her blue bouffant matching her beribboned chiffon gown. “Everything about her was larger than life, the rings, the jewelry, the hair, the nails,” says Atwood, who also perched Streep in 4-inch heels.

Another of Atwood’s favorites is worn by the Wolf (Johnny Depp): “I wanted it to be a zoot suit, not a fur suit, and luckily so did Johnny. It was a fresh way to dress the character.” The dress on Rapunzel “is a naked, pale pink with a sheer that floats over it,” says the costumer, which makes actress Mackenzie Mauzy “look like a ghost of herself because she had been trapped in a tower.”

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscars-woods-noah-costume-designers-751455

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3512Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/14 at 3:51pm

Here's a wonderful interview with Emily Blunt, where she gets to talk about auditioning and the rehearsal process. She also talks about the mix between pre-recorded takes and live singing; so happy Marshall went this way rather than the LES MIS approach, which frankly did more to hurt the quality of the film than contribute to it. Also, the interviewer confirms that Blunt's performance doesn't quite fit into the lead category.

Emily Blunt InContention Interview

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

degrassifan
#3513Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/14 at 5:16pm

best12bars, Mary Poppins was another musical fantasy film that got a Best Picture nomination. In fact, I think it was the most Oscar-nominated film of 1964. I like to think that if My Fair Lady hadn't been released that same year, Poppins would've gotten Best Picture.

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#3514Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/14 at 8:26pm

Kudelicek, what is the name of that castle in the trailer?

Showface SPOILERS But the Baker's Wife appears. Why would she appear, but not the rest of the characters? That doesn't make sense. They should all appear, even if as ghosts. Remember how Fantine appeared at the end of the Les Miserables film? That was a realistic film, too, and that worked. SPOILERS

And if you think that London Wolf costume looked too fake, I mean a realistic version of that.

And according to an article, they actually made the key in "On the Steps of the Palace" HIGHER so Anna Kendrick would be forced to be a soprano? I thought people here said it was in the original key?

Updated On: 11/28/14 at 08:26 PM

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#3515Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/28/14 at 11:40pm

I saw the screening today and let me tell you all. You all are in for a treat! It was amazing! I'm terrible at writing reviews, so bare with me.

Meryl Streep: Oscar. Done.
I also want there to be a Meryl Streep onesie. Just putting that out there.

James Corden: Great acting and singing voice!

Emily Blunt: One of the best things about this film! I really hope she's recognized during award season.

Anna Kendrick: Really surprised me on how great she was!! Her singing is spot on!

Chris Pine: Hilarious! And super sexy. "Agony" was hilarious!

Johny Depp: Good, for the one scene he is in.

Lilla Crawford: Amazing voice and acting!
*SPOILER*
"When he swallowed me down..." They literally have her fall down the Wolf's throat(?). It was weird.

Daniel Huttlestone: Great voice! He rushed some lines in the beginning, but toward's the end, he was good.

Showface
#3517Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 12:03pm

@jbroadway

Glad you had a great time! Care to mention your top favorite numbers, and care to comment on the Rapunzel issue, and what you thought of the finale?

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#3518Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 12:16pm

Just saw an industry screening at the Disney Lot last night, and I've wanted to sleep on it before posting my review. (And I should preface this by saying that though I loved and worked on the Original Broadway production back in '87, ITW has never been a particular favorite of mine within the Sondheim cannon, so take my words below with that big grain of salt).

Let's start with the overwhelming positives-- Marshall and friends actually get the whole play onscreen in a little over 2 hours and make it thoroughly understandable to boot! You learn all the key stories with all their key plot turns, including all the complex tone shifts in Act II. The great songs are nearly all there in some form or other, and some of them really catch fire. "Agony", "On the Steps of the Palace" and every single one of the witch's numbers are alive and thrilling and subtle and funny and moving and just land.

The cast is almost uniformly strong. Lilla Crawford, Chris Pine, Tracey Ullman, even dopey Daniel Huttlestone worked swell for me. James Corden and Emily Blunt seemed underpowered somehow-- they were sweet and subtle and fine singers but didn't seem to command the center of the story like they do onstage. Volumes have already been written about Meryl's witch, and oddly I found her acting too over-the-top at times but thought her wonderful singing thoroughly redeemed the performance. Anna Kendrick showed us a very funny Cinderella but her voice strained to hit the notes-- I want my Cinderellas to sound effortless. Mackenzie Mauzy and Christine Baranski were perfection.

The design choices were a mixed bag. Some stunners from Colleen Atwood (the Baker's Wife's Act I look and the witch's transformation gown) competed with some bizarre letdowns. Why does Cinderella's ball gown look like a deflated gold lame balloon? Why is Rapunzel's Prince dressed in leather pants? Why is the Baker dressed like an 1850's Bob Cratchet? I understand they wanted a look that spanned periods, but if you start asking so many questions, you're pulled out of the story.

The Production Design was occasionally lovely but it sure took a decidedly CRUMBLING view of the entire fairy tale world. Barns and cottages were decaying, but so were Castles and the Stepsisters' mansion. Between the dim DP lighting and the repetitiveness of the woods looks, much of the film seemed even more claustrophobic than the stage version.

My biggest reservations? As usual we lost most of the chorus numbers that give the score life-- "One Midnight Gone", "Ever After", the finale reprise of "Into the Woods" were all missing, so most of the show was a parade of static solos or duets. The thrilling excitement of the opening number-- multi-part singing, zooming camera movement, a large cast moving through town and up into the woods was rarely matched again in the rest of the film.

The whole wolf concept was a serious clunker for me, from Depp's inept performance, to the 1940's soot suit, to the lack of staging or choreography, to the woeful trip down the wolf's gullet during "I Know Things Now" with a laughable wolf-snout silhouette gag to boot. It seemed Rob Marshall had no idea what kind of story he was trying to tell there, and it showed.

The newfound clarity the writers brought to the story was a mixed blessing-- yes it was easy to follow now, but some of the story became simple and linear to a fault. The witch's final fury in "The Last Midnight" made little sense onscreen (why would she commit suicide because the world wants her to be nicer to the boy?) The final act of killing the Giantess just sort of let the movie end with a whimper-- with 4 sadder but wiser characters left in the fog. No escape back into the sunlight, no thrilling on-camera reprise with once-dead characters to tell us we always have to return to the woods "every now and then", just a pan up to a title card and... roll credits. Huh?

Despite these flaws, huge kudos to the team for taming the unruly beast that is INTO THE WOODS and putting it onscreen at all, and with so much work that is so good. Was it an unmitigated success? I wish...

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#3519Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 12:32pm

"James Corden and Emily Blunt seemed underpowered somehow-- they were sweet and subtle and fine singers but didn't seem to command the center of the story like they do onstage"

Yeah, at this point I don't think there is anyway the Academy would seriously consider putting Blunt in the leading category. Shame.

"Anna Kendrick showed us a very funny Cinderella but her voice strained to hit the notes--"

Oh crap.

"The whole wolf concept was a serious clunker for me, from Depp's inept performance, to the 1940's soot suit, to the lack of staging or choreography, to the woeful trip down the wolf's gullet during "I Know Things Now" with a laughable wolf-snout silhouette gag to boot. It seemed Rob Marshall had no idea what kind of story he was trying to tell there, and it showed."

I'm still scratching my head at the wolf concept. It just looks awful.

"Last Midnight" made little sense onscreen (why would she commit suicide because the world wants her to be nicer to the boy?)"

I had a feeling this would happen. The Witch leaving the world makes no sense with the changes to Rapunzel's arc.

Thanks for the honest review. I'm still looking forward to the film but I'm not expecting it to be anything worth watching twice.

Showface
#3520Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 12:47pm

Thanks for the review, but I still plan on enjoying this film through and through! Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

"ITW has never been a particular favorite of mine within the Sondheim cannon"

It's my favorite which is one reason why I think I'll really enjoy the film! Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

"Let's start with the overwhelming positives-- Marshall and friends actually get the whole play onscreen in a little over 2 hours and make it thoroughly understandable to boot! You learn all the key stories with all their key plot turns, including all the complex tone shifts in Act II. The great songs are nearly all there in some form or other, and some of them really catch fire. "Agony", "On the Steps of the Palace" and every single one of the witch's numbers are alive and thrilling and subtle and funny and moving and just land. "

That's wonderful to hear, so what I love about ITW is still there!

"Volumes have already been written about Meryl's witch, and oddly I found her acting too over-the-top at times but thought her wonderful singing thoroughly redeemed the performance.'

I'm actually not surprised, but I think I'll enjoy it because, IMO, The Witch is very over-the-top so that's a plus in my book.

"The Production Design was occasionally lovely but it sure took a decidedly CRUMBLING view of the entire fairy tale world."

Wonderful! Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

I happen to really love the design choices (a little mixed on the wolf), but I think the design choices are perfect for the film IMO. Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

"The newfound clarity the writers brought to the story was a mixed blessing-- yes it was easy to follow now, but some of the story became simple and linear to a fault. The witch's final fury in "The Last Midnight" made little sense onscreen (why would she commit suicide because the world wants her to be nicer to the boy?"

Now, I haven't seen the film, but it seems like from other reports that the Witch's (epic) Last Midnight is not only a combination of her rage at these people who are going to let themselves die due to their "niceness", but by the fact that her daughter basically said "I hate you", left her for a prince who just entered her life, the fact she sacrificed everything for her daughter, and all of the mayhem in Act 2.

At least, that's what I have gathered. Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

"The final act of killing the Giantess just sort of let the movie end with a whimper-- with 4 sadder but wiser characters left in the fog. No escape back into the sunlight, no thrilling on-camera reprise with once-dead characters to tell us we always have to return to the woods "every now and then", just a pan up to a title card and... roll credits. Huh? "

Another plus in my book. Into the Woods never really had a typical happy ending, and I still fully support the dropping of the Into the Woods reprise.

@Someone in a Tree

Out of "10" how would you rate the film? Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

Updated On: 11/29/14 at 12:47 PM

Showface
#3521Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 12:47pm

Double post Updated On: 11/29/14 at 12:47 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3522Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 1:27pm

That was a great review Someone In A Tree, I can't believe that December is finally coming after two whole years of this films development and the attempted development in the 90's. BTW, what did you think of Dion Beebe's cinematography?

I have a weird feeling that Rob Marshall has found his second musical film gem, the one that will put him back on the map.

NINE? What's that? :P

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#3523Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 1:31pm

"Out of "10" how would you rate the film? "

Well I'm tough to please--
If the film CHICAGO was a 9 (points off for some tacky non-period choreography)
and SWEENEY TODD was a 6 (I hated the loss of scale with the loss of the chorus),
and of this year's movies only BIRDMAN gets a 10 from me,

then I'd give ITW a solid 7.5. It's a bitch of a show to get right, and the great parts are great.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3524Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/29/14 at 1:44pm

^Which musical film is your personal worst?

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos