pixeltracker

Company Commentary Thread- Page 15

Company Commentary Thread

trinaaron Profile Photo
trinaaron
#350re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/25/08 at 9:44am

If you do get married, you will certainly be THINKING "Getting Married Today" the entire time. I was with my husband for nine years before we got married and I was still ready to bolt at the slightest sign from above.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#351re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/25/08 at 10:56am

The first time it aired they didn't bleep anything out, but yesterday they bleeped some of it. It was weird.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#352re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 11:15am

I'm really, really, REALLY late to the party on this one... but I finally watched "Company." I didn't see it on stage in NY, and I must admit that from the friends that did see it, I wasn't that eager to give it a go. I had heard it was low-energy, dull and forgettable, except for "Being Alive." I also cringed at the idea of the Partridge Family Band concept from Doyle. I had also heard that the singer/actors were not so great, because they had to also play instruments, so they weren't necessarily the best for the roles, but rather the best "triple threats" around that could act, sing AND play something.

Again... ALL hearsay for me. Not my own opinion at all, but it didn't set me up to get excited about seeing it at all. Still, I recorded it on my DVR and thought, "well, I'll get around to watching it one day."

Then I got a call from my dad, and we were talking away about this and that, and he said, "Hey, did you watch Company?" I told him not yet. He proceeded to tell me just how much he loved it. He wasn't familiar with the show, the story or the songs. My father was an avid theatre-goer in his day. A first-nighter in fact. He was there for the opening nights (as a kid or young adult) of Oklahoma!, Carousel, The King and I, A Streetcar Named Desire, and SO many others from the Golden Age. But we moved to Kansas in the summer of '66 and that pretty much ended by father's Broadway patronage. He's been back once or twice over the past 40 years, but that's it. Still, I greatly value his opinion of shows and theatre in general, so HELL, now I got excited about seeing Company with an open mind.

I loved it from start to finish. What may have been "low-key" and "low energy" in the theatre played BEAUTIFULLY on television. The acting and emotions were real, the characters fascinating, the pacing perfect (again for TV) and I was pretty much blown away by the entire thing. I loved the set, lighting, the staging, the camera work, the direction for television (I REALLY hope Lonny Price scores an Emmy nod for this), and I was surprised to find that I liked the orchestrations so much.

Bottom line: it all WORKED.

And then there's Raul. After his performance on the Tony's, my first exposure to his singing, I HATED it. He bleats like a goat, and has serious pitch problems. I couldn't imagine why the fuss?! He's only marginally good-looking at face value, but it's an "interesting" face. But watching him play Bobby, I was floored, drawn-in, and ultimately very moved by his acting and whole performance. He's still not a great singer, but he's a fantastic singing ACTOR. And I fell in love with him while watching this. (No, not REALLY, but hopefully you know what I mean). He became more and more attractive to me as the show went on. The brooding eyes, the reactions and connections and sometimes disconnections to the other characters. I wouldn't want to listen to an album of him sing "greatest hits" any more than I would Zero Mostel... but he is a true Theatre Star, and it's well-deserved. I can think of so many roles I'd like to see him do, but I also kept thinking he'd be so great in film or on a (good) TV series. His acting and his "look" are unique and very attractive and compelling.

So, I'm glad I took a chance on Company. It surprised me in just about every way it could. And in such wonderful ways!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#353re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 11:43am

That post made me happy. I'm glad that even after hearing all of the negativity, you went in with an open mind and gave it a chance anyway. Too many people weren't willing to do that while it was running, and went in convinced they were going to hate it. It is something, isn't it? re: Company Commentary Thread

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#354re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 12:08pm

Since Best bumped this thread, I thought I'd add my two cents, since I was also a little late to the party.

Emcee has already heard my thoughts, of course. :)

So anyhow, what surprised me was that I don't hate it. From the clips that made it look like it was a bunch of people in the Georgian room of the art museum doing some singspiel fundraiser and the album which I thought had some lovely harmonies but none of the character of the original cast, which I adore, I'm found it mostly enjoyable. I'd love some color in their costumes and I miss the fact that it's not really set in 1970 it's not so bad.

And actually, I thought "What Would We Do Without You?" was the first moment where I dug the concept.

I'm still not sure what to MAKE of it as a whole, I guess. Is it making the case that this whole thing was in his head?

One thing - and this is something that always confounded me from the original - isn't it weird that none of his friends knew one another? I guess with it being conceptually that's a sticking point to just gloss over, but I did find that very weird.

I'm also curious to know if we're supposed to assume this version is taking place in the 70s?

luvtheEmcee
#355re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 12:12pm

Nope, it's supposed to be now.

And yeah, that's always been a little weird to me, too, about his friends. It's just been something I accepted, though, I guess. Or maybe they do now and he's just remembering/imagining a time when they didn't?

Updated On: 2/27/08 at 12:12 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#356re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 12:17pm

I just thinking it's in the now kind of screws it up a bit for me, since to me it's such a product of its time. So many of the references just don't jibe with it taken place now, from the talk of the "service will explain" or pretty much all of "Have Got I Girl For You."

luvtheEmcee
#357re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 12:40pm

It is very much a product of its time; and references like the answering service and the "wagon" are, I suppose, the risks Doyle took in his decision not to make any changes of the libretto, but to still stage an updated production. I think it's contemporary in the way he staged it, in a way that allows you (unless you know the show when you see it, I guess) not to focus on those 70's references. The text is a product of its time, but I think part of the intention of Doyle's production was to force the audience to look at it as NOT a product of its time. Because if you can watch a show and say, "oh, well, that's what it was like then, but that's not how it is now," you're not going to connect with it in the way you would if you look at it and see yourself, or your friends, or your city.

Updated On: 2/27/08 at 12:40 PM

overthemoo
#358re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 3:12pm

best12bars...what a fabulous post! Nicely written and glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

Btw, if you go on YouTube and search for Raul Esaprza and/or Pushing Daisies, you can see his guest spots on that show. He works so well with the the atmosphere created, not to mention the quirkiness. :)

Okay, I've actually gone ahead and found a clip joining only his and Kristen Chenoweth's scenes, as they are a potential couple fans like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ126Ct8gbI
(Kristen's a regular on the show.)

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#359re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 4:07pm

Um, like everyone ON HERE knows that the actress who plays Olive on ABC TV's PUSHING DAISIES is Kristin Chenoweth.

re: Company Commentary Thread
re: Company Commentary Thread

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 2/27/08 at 4:11pm

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 04:11 PM

luvtheEmcee
#361re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 4:28pm

That's why I guess I always thought that first snippet is a memory of when they didn't know each other. That exchange between Jenny and Joanne ("Who is that?"/"That is I, miss, and I am married to him...") certainly makes it seem like they haven't met before, but in real time, his friends are throwing him a surprise party. But presumably there have been such gatherings of all his friends together prior to the upcoming surprise 35th party.

Updated On: 2/27/08 at 04:28 PM

overthemoo
#362re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:05pm

BrodyFosse123... I didn't say everyone here didn't know that. But obviously this person who made the original post was not familiar with the show because most people ALSO know Raul was on the show - and they said they'd love to see him on tv what with his acting abilities. I know everyone who follows Kristin knows she is on the show. And pardon my spelling mistake, please, I am a fan of two other KristEn's, so it is simply a typo that I don't notice.

Way to be harsh, though...

markus907
#363re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:11pm

On the thought of whether they know each other or not. It is possible that some of his friends now each other, and just that Jenny and Joanne don't. I'm sure some of them knew each other, maybe just not Jenny and Joanne.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#364re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:12pm

I enjoyed watching this again. (I saw it on Broadway when it was in previews)

as amazing as it is, there are certain parts that I think can get a little boring or tend to drag on but nevertheless Raul Esparza kept me drawn in.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

luvtheEmcee
#365re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:14pm

Markus - I was just thinking that, as well. That maybe there was one person who orchestrated that particular party and Jenny and Joanne had never met before. But it's still important to remember that that party -- where they meet is *not* the surprise party that Bobby is hearing about on his answering machine. That's the one that never happens, because his friends can't find him.

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#366re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:17pm

Hey OVERTHEMOO! I didn't know.

Don't care for Kristin and have never seen the show.

Thanks for the info!

*shrugs*

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"
Updated On: 2/27/08 at 05:17 PM

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#367re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:17pm

On the thought of whether they know each other or not. It is possible that some of his friends now each other, and just that Jenny and Joanne don't. I'm sure some of them knew each other, maybe just not Jenny and Joanne.

That's a possibility... because the bigger your circle of friends, there's a chance that not all of them may know each other.

Oops, nevermind, Emcee beat me to a response.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

Updated On: 2/27/08 at 05:17 PM

markus907
#368re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:18pm

Yes, however the party that's shown isn't a specific party. It's more of just a symbolic gathering... i think.

I'm fairly new to the show, so I may have no idea what I'm talking about.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#369re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:19pm

overthemoo---thanks! No, I don't watch Pushing Daisies. I gave up on primetime network shows a long time ago. I'm out of the habit, and happily so.

I'm glad to know he's getting TV work, and I hope he's a big success on the small and large screen!

Regarding Bobby's friends not knowing each other... did any of you record the Sondheim interview right after the PBS airing? He flat out says that it isn't clear whether or not they know each other, and that's completely intentional. He also says (and I'm paraphrasing a bit), so much of "Company" is vague. And all great drama arises out of ambiguity and vagueness. I'm not sure I totally agree with that, but I COMPLETELY get where he's coming from. It's the struggle for clarity and "cohesiveness," from the characters and their emotions and ideas... to the audiences perceptions of what they see... And I've been thinking a lot about those words since last night when I watched the show, and I listened to that interview. What a brilliant man.

I know, nothing new THERE, right?

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#370re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:21pm

And that's what I love about the show; the vagueness of it, you are allowed to draw up your own conclusions. re: Company Commentary Thread

It's kind of like Our Town, in that sense.

And, as for Raul's success onscreen - he did have a small (but pitival role) in Find Me Guilty. re: Company Commentary Thread

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

Updated On: 2/27/08 at 05:21 PM

luvtheEmcee
#371re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:21pm

Exactly. It could be imaginary, it could be a memory, etc. Which, I think, is why when we're watching the show, we accept it without much questioning. It's not supposed to be clear -- and in a way, it doesn't really matter, because, like b12b just said, so much of Company is so vague.

And as an aside, yay Alfredo. re: Company Commentary Thread

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#372re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:30pm

I would also have to add that there is a difference between "confusion" and "vagueness."

Nothing in Company confuses me. I'm not at odds with the characters their lack of interaction between the couples, the lack of a traditional linear plot. That's Mr. Sondheim, the puzzle-maker and puzzle-solver. His foundation in this show is rock solid, on its own terms.

If one or two couples had interacted with each other, then some of the other behavior might be confusing. He doesn't slip up though. He was also quick to point out in the interview that NONE of the songs arises organically out of the dialogue, as with most traditional musicals. The songs are inserted or "forced" into each of the scenes. They just START and END. That was also intentional, when they began working with George Furth's book.

What we have before us is a "concept musical." One of the first (if not THE first?) created for Broadway. The concept is clear, even if elements presented are vague.

It's CLEARLY vague!

I think that's what I'm trying to say.

I think.

I am!

Aren't I?

luvtheEmcee
#373re: Company Commentary Thread
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:36pm

Hah. I think it is. re: Company Commentary Thread

I get what you're saying, anyway. And I agree; it's vague, but not confusing. And I think that's because it is so purposefully vague. The fact that it's intentional, and not due to a flaw in the writing, makes for a very intricate, deliberate vagueness. It's formulaic. It's decided how much information you're going to get when, and what you're going to have to figure out yourself. And because that's all decided, even though it is vague, there's just enough there and in the right places that it isn't confusing -- and further, enough that it WORKS.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 2/27/08 at 5:38pm

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 05:38 PM

Videos