Favorite Set Designs

Annas_Priest Profile Photo
Annas_Priest
#350re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/18/09 at 1:50pm

Can someone post some picture of the original SUNSET BLVD set?

ThankstoPhantom
#351re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/18/09 at 2:02pm

The recent Copenhagen production of 'The Phantom of the Opera'

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 7/18/09 at 02:02 PM

proptart101
#352re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/18/09 at 7:01pm

Having no intention of plowing through all 14 pages of replies in this thread, this may have already been covered.

However -

The Morgan Library is currently running an exhibition of set designs. It runs until August 16.

http://www.themorgan.org/exhibitions/exhibition.asp?id=15

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood. " - Tom Robbins

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#353re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/19/09 at 2:51am

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

Mattbrain
#354re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 9/18/09 at 1:48pm

Bump

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

broadwaypink
#355re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 9/18/09 at 2:11pm

i loved the shrek set design...not to crazy about the show though.

jonmbway4652 Profile Photo
jonmbway4652
#356re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 9/21/09 at 8:11pm

Phantom
Spring Awakening
My Fair Lady NEWworks tour (hated the show but the sets were awesome)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Shrek (sets were pretty much the only standout)

willrogers2008
#357re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 9/21/09 at 9:23pm

The Loveland section in Follies by Boris Aronson is "the" set design forever ! Any of the members could scan it,please ? It would be wonderful !

Lynnespock2
#358re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 9/21/09 at 10:02pm

Dracula (1977) - the production that starred Frank Langella, had a black and white set with one red item such as a rose or a glass of wine in each scene. It was amazing. Edward Gorey was the set designer. One of my all time favorite productions.

Live long and prosper. Marriage equity now!

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#359re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 9/21/09 at 10:18pm

re: Favorite Set Designs

Gorey's set for Dracula was wonderful.

peerrjb
#360re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 9/21/09 at 10:34pm

Sorry, no photos.
But the original design of TITANIC was fascinating...very spare in one sense, and yet still pretty impressive with the 3-story ship, the views from down below looking up, and the ship deck tilting with things and people sliding off it was relatively terrifying.

Boris Aronson's work on the original PACIFIC OVERTURES was remarkable. (Of course, his original FOLLIES set, when the gossamer fell and "Loveland" appeared was, for its time, breathtaking. And the elevator and plexiglass of his COMPANY set was every effective. Of course, in the first two cases, Florence Klotz' costuming was as much part of the scenic design as were the sets themselves. Brilliant work.)

On the downside: As for SUNSET BLVD., I never thought it made sense for the material. She lives in a falling-down old place, not a movie palace. Ah well.

Thanks to ALL who posted pictures!!!!

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#361re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 9/21/09 at 10:35pm

Bob Crowley's sets for Carousel were pure poetry. Surprisingly simple, but always beautiful. As if it came right out of a painting. If I can, I will try to scan some pictures. The picture of Julie and Billy on the carousel with the huge Mullin's sign overhead is simply breathtaking, one of my favorite pictures ever taken.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#362re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 12/1/09 at 7:24am

Here's a pic of the Sunset Boulevard Set (please excuse the dodgy scan)

Personally I feel that Norma is faded but still full of pride, hence the movie set house. The set also included the backlot of Paramount etc.however none were as stunning as the staircase. Scene changes were made using complex hydraulics, and a funny story is that immediately before opening in London the scene changes were malfunctioning randomly due to radio interference, causing set pieces to be flying about all over the place.

Updated On: 5/20/13 at 07:24 AM

BroadwayBoy3 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy3
#363re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 12/1/09 at 7:54am

Hairspray
The Toxic Avenger

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#364re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 3/19/10 at 4:08pm

Anyone have any pictures of any of Ken Foy's work?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

Joe10 Profile Photo
Joe10
#365re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/6/10 at 2:20am

My favorite has to be Sunset Boulevard. I never saw On twentieth Century by Robin Wagner but saw photos of it in some Book on The American Musical from Hollywood to Broadway. If anyone has that book I would love to see those photos again. It was a great looking set.

[IMG]re: Favorite Set Designs

Updated On: 7/6/10 at 02:20 AM

alawhat
#366re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/6/10 at 2:49am

re: Favorite Set Designs

The Vivian Beaumont always seems to have beautiful set designs, despite its weird shape. Michael Yeargen is a bit hit or miss but both South Pacific and The Light in the Piazza's scenic designs just *melted* into the Beaumont.

I really don't get Eugene Lee - Sweeney Todd and Wicked look like two sides of the same contrived industrial vomit pile to me. The scale is nice but otherwise eugh...

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#367re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/6/10 at 3:51am

"I really don't get Eugene Lee - Sweeney Todd and Wicked look like two sides of the same contrived industrial vomit pile to me. The scale is nice but otherwise eugh... "
While I do love the Sweeney Todd set design, I could not agree more about Wicked's set. The clock concept is not incorporated into the story at all and the set is just plain ugly in my opinion.

My favorite sets would definetly have to be Sunset Boulevard, Disney's Beauty and the Beast, and Mary Poppins. Mary Poppins is the best set I have seen for a Broadway musical.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#368re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/6/10 at 6:07am

One of my favorite set designs is the Act One closing scene in the original production of GYPSY. Jo Mielziner's railway station design has the railroad tracks going off into infinity--just where will June and Tulsa and the other "farm boys" end up? Where will Rose, Herbie, and Louise end up, as Rose sings "Everything's Coming Up Roses"? The Daily News critic was so taken with the set that he bought the design drawing from Mielziner. I wish I had it!

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#369re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/6/10 at 8:12am

I loved the recent Ragtime. Extremely simple and so versatile.

Bwaynerd Profile Photo
Bwaynerd
#370re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/6/10 at 12:44pm

DROWSY
HAIRSPRAY
ADDAMS FAMILY

"(in a sweedish accent) Oh! What a lovely T-shirt you are wearing!"- Catherine Zeta-Jones refering to my ALNM shirt at the CD signing. Say NO to drugs and YES to Jackie Hoffman Live At Joes Pub! "ITS THE DAY OF THE SHOW YA'LL!!"-Bwaynerd

secondarycharacter2 Profile Photo
secondarycharacter2
#371re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/6/10 at 6:20pm

Next to Normal

ThankstoPhantom
#372re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/6/10 at 10:06pm

The "weird" shape of the Beaumont stage is referred to as a thrust stage.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

alawhat
#373re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/6/10 at 10:47pm

Thrust stages aren't weird! Pretty sure from Aristophanes to Shakespeare used nothing but re: Favorite Set Designs

I *love* the Beaumont, but it is a giant lobster tail beast of a stage - in a good way.

ThankstoPhantom
#374re: Favorite Set Designs
Posted: 7/7/10 at 12:35am

Indeed...I love thrusts...

Videos