News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Hunter Foster creates "Give the Tonys back to BROADWAY" campaign- Page 17

Hunter Foster creates "Give the Tonys back to BROADWAY" campaign

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#400Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:08pm

@HalleBerry WATCH YOUR BACK BITCH

....but the world goes 'round

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#401Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:09pm

I like Jeff Edgerton's post on the discussions there... http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=102274489824156&topic=5

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#402Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:11pm

Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors

This is how Angie deals with Tony voters.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#403Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:13pm

I thought Edgerton had a great response. I also loved him in PARADE. I even heard him just this morning!

julesboogie Profile Photo
julesboogie
#404Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:16pm

"Why do most people have to be aware of anything? What are the minimum requirements that need to be met for it to be acceptable? What if you paid your dues elsewhere, just not on Broadway? Honestly, the only real complaining we hear are about the Hollywood actors, especially if they are young and/or popular. Anyone else gets a pass."

Because people are people, like it or not. I love how when we get on these message boards we can act super human and above felling base emotions. Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors Just like any other career if an upstart (young or old) is placed in a coveted positions, people will want to know they're qualifications. Especially if they were vying for that position and have more credits. Im playing devils advocate.

I see how the star and stunt casting is lucrative and positive for commercial theatre. But on the other hand i also can see how frustrating it can be. Anyway we digress.

And i love Edgerton's post!!!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#405Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:37pm

What a colossal non issue (which is fundamentally flawed in its reason to begin with).

The whole thing is just odd.

And what is it with actors who make their living primarily in theater being so petulant and immature.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#406Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:42pm

Just like any other career if an upstart (young or old) is placed in a coveted positions, people will want to know they're qualifications.

But the behavior is not that people want to know their qualifications, which only needs to be justified to the director and producers, who can choose to cast an experienced unknown if they wish. These nasty bitches are assuming that if someone comes from Hollywood, they are undeserving of being cast or of winning an award. I am certainly not above feeling base emotions. Having worked in theatre for nearly two decades, I am acutely aware of the sense of unfairness in pre-casting roles with a more popular actor, setting aside roles for personal friends and relations, dismissing an actor at the preliminary audition because you are not familiar with their credits, or artistic directors who plan their seasons to star in every show themselves. But in almost every case (except the last), I don't blame the ACTOR. What we have been seeing are shots fired at the actors for performing in the shows for which they have been cast to the best of their abilities. If someone gets a part over me, then I was not what the director wanted, for whatever reason. I might think the director is an idiot, but I'm not going to blame the actor who accepted a role that wasn't offered to me. What would knowing their qualifications (or lack thereof) do, especially in the world of acting where people can be naturally gifted enough to land a leading role in their first audition while others with years of credits and training can be average enough to work steadily in minor roles? That is what this career is like and most working actors are aware of this.

Bet Scarlett Johansson would like to retract her acceptance speech about now.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#407Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:45pm

Who is the upstart? Hasn't Scarlett Johannsenn been acting since she was a kid?

I love how when we get on these message boards we can act super human and above felling base emotions.

I don't see that around here at all. I see base emotions all the time. Then I see Broadway folks biching about said base emotions, so it's positively delicious when they themselves lose their sh*t and show that yes, they, too, are just human after all as well.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#408Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:51pm

If this had been a decent season, there would have been less opportunity for the producers to cram in the Hollywood stuff, but let's face it, it was a lean year. The Tony AWARD is to honor excellence in the theater. The Tony BROADCAST is to help put asses in the seats.

It's the constant struggle between SHOW and BUSINESS.

And BTW, I wouldn't pay to see Hunter Foster in much of anything, but I'd crawl across crushed glass to see Scarlett Johanssen in just about anything. Same struggle.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#409Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:54pm

First, I want to thank everyone for being a part of this site. It has opened up a lot of discussion which I think is so beneficial. It has given people a chance to voice their opinions. And that's healthy.

I want to remind everyone that this is a positive campaign. It's not about bashing people or their performances. It's about trying to get the Tonys to honor Broadway in a way that influences young people, and gives the fans a chance to experience what theatre is all about.

So...I am asking all of you for your help.

First:

Write 5 positive things that you would change for next years telecast. They can be simple changes. Things that will make the evening more about Broadway.

Second:

Write about your first Tony experience and how special that was to you.

Hopefully, this is the first step. And even if the Tony Committee changes one thing for next year's telecast, it's still a step in the right direction. A positive direction.

Thanks.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#410Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:58pm

"Jennifer Cody To Host New York Musical Theater Festival's BEST OF FEST 6/21"

Is Hunter not going to let her do it if CJZ performs again?
Story

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#411Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:59pm

It's not about bashing people or their performances.

I think he might want to tell his wife that.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#412Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 1:00pm

"It's not about bashing people or their performances."

Of course it's not! That's what Chris Sieber's Facebook page is for.

Mister Matt
#413Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 1:00pm

Write 5 positive things that you would change for next years telecast. They can be simple changes. Things that will make the evening more about Broadway.

There wasn't a single moment in this year's broadcast that wasn't "about Broadway".

Mister Matt
#414Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 1:02pm

Who is the upstart? Hasn't Scarlett Johannsenn been acting since she was a kid?

I only mentioned her speech because she spoke more than once about how welcoming the Broadway community was.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#415Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 1:02pm

1. Broadway is not on tv. The awards should not be on tv.

julesboogie
#416Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 1:03pm

mister matt youre absolutely right. I hate what is happening in that room with the mud slinging. It IS really gross to read what some have wrote.

I dont condone the action, but i do understand the frustration. And over 3,000 people joined that group. And most are not posting rude things, or posting at all for that matter. So yeah its not only the broadway stars who feel there is a problem with the way casting is done. Which is why i even bother thinking this is important.

"I don't see that around here at all. I see base emotions all the time. Then I see Broadway folks biching about said base emotions, so it's positively delicious when they themselves lose their sh*t and show that yes, they, too, are just human after all as well."

But i also see alot of the opposite. Alot of "this is stupid," "why would you do that," "you shouldn't feel that way" etc. I just wonder if being removed from the situation allows some to actually understand the gravity of it. Or if being removed allows some to pretend they dont understand the gravity.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#417Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 1:03pm

Matt, I know. I was just wondering who that person was talking about when they said upstarts.

julesboogie
#418Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 1:04pm

phyllis i was speaking generally.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#419Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 1:05pm

So if no upstarts (from Hollywood, that is) won a Tony this year, what is the issue?

Mister Matt
#420Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 1:08pm

Got it. I was getting confused. Blame it on Cymbalta. I'm pissed that she got the part of Miss Hannigan in the Annie revival instead of me. I bet she slept with Cathy Jones.

Updated On: 6/18/10 at 01:08 PM

julesboogie
#422Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 1:10pm

The issue for me is not about tony awards. Its about casting. But thats not what we are debating here. Hunter stated his issue. Im trying to find the middle ground.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#423Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 1:13pm

I joined the page just to keep up with what was going on. We all just got this e-mail from hunter:

First, I want to thank everyone for being a part of this site. It has opened up a lot of discussion which I think is so beneficial. It has given people a chance to voice their opinions. And that's healthy.

I want to remind everyone that this is a positive campaign. It's not about bashing people or their performances. It's about trying to get the Tonys to honor Broadway in a way that influences young people, and gives the fans a chance to experience what theatre is all about.

So...I am asking all of you for your help.

First:

Second:

Write about your first Tony experience and how special that was to you.

Hopefully, this is the first step. And even if the Tony Committee changes one thing for next year's telecast, it's still a step in the right direction. A positive direction.

Thanks.

Just give the world Love.

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#424Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 1:20pm

^PRS posted it too.. i found it interesting. so first he uses sight instead of site, fine. but then he uses "Tony Commitee"? Didn't Denzel get raked for using that term or is he just trying to be funny.

"it's a dirty little war"

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#425Hunter Foster Whines with other non Hollywood actors
Posted: 6/18/10 at 1:20pm

Five positive things to change for next year's Tony awards:

1)More Hollywood stars to help attract a wider audience.

2)An opening that doesn't have to be good, but at least is not embarrassing.

3)Have Green Day play all the songs in the segments for the nominated shows.

4)Get a new set!!!

5)Quit bitching about if the pedigree of the performer and gracefully acknowledge their achievement in sustaining excellence in theater.

Videos