pixeltracker

THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL- Page 17

THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#400THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 6:49pm

If Addapearle is anything like the "Miss One" character in the movie than its definitely a character bit and nothing requiring great vocal chops. Perhaps they are re-writing the role for a singer.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Starship
#401THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 6:58pm

"I'm mixed on the cast. Maybe it's just me but I feel like this Tv production hold  a very significant value in our time in history right now. With all stories about racist cops and all the riots, I really feel like this production could potentially be not only inspiring, but also a staple in our American culture. This production seems a lot bigger than just another live musical tv show. 
With that being said, I think it would have been wonderful to see the most influential  African American artists star in this production. Artists like Beyonce, Jennifer Hudson, Usher, Jamie Fox and others would have (in my opinion)  helped point out the significance of why telling the story of The Wiz at this current time in our country, is so important and vital to our country.
It seems like the directing team is completely aware of the impact this show could have. I have nothing against Amber Riley or Corbin Bleu (if he is cast).  I'm sure they are fine performers . I just would have preferred (not necessarily bigger names) but names that speak more profoundly to our nation. 
But of course, timing and scheduling is big issue with this type of project. Schedules just don't workout sometimes. In any case, I'm very much looking forward to The Wiz."

The broadcasts have such a limited budget so trying to get names like Beyoncé, Jennifer Hudson, Usher, Jamie Fox, etc. all in the same show would've been financially impossible. Even Beyoncé alone would've sucked up a lot of money. The Wiz is a big show with a large cast they need to fill in with other names. With the casting of these broadcasts, it's more about who they can afford/who has the time vs. who they ideally want.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#402THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 7:04pm

The broadcasts have such a limited budget so trying to get names like Beyoncé, Jennifer Hudson, Usher, Jamie Fox, etc. all in the same show would've been financially impossible. Even Beyoncé alone would've sucked up a lot of money. The Wiz is a big show with a large cast they need to fill in with other names. With the casting of these broadcasts, it's more about who they can afford/who has the time vs. who they ideally want.

Well, according to reports they did fight hard to get names like Beyonce and Usher (who is still a possibility). It doesn't seem like NBC is all that worried about who they can afford and who they can't. No doubt names like Beyonce and Usher would skyrocketed the ratings for this.

Updated On: 8/6/15 at 07:04 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#403THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 7:28pm

"I'm mixed on the cast. Maybe it's just me but I feel like this Tv production hold  a very significant value in our time in history right now. With all stories about racist cops and all the riots, I really feel like this production could potentially be not only inspiring, but also a staple in our American culture. This production seems a lot bigger than just another live musical tv show. 
With that being said, I think it would have been wonderful to see the most influential  African American artists star in this production. Artists like Beyonce, Jennifer Hudson, Usher, Jamie Fox and others would have (in my opinion)  helped point out the significance of why telling the story of The Wiz at this current time in our country, is so important and vital to our country.
It seems like the directing team is completely aware of the impact this show could have. I have nothing against Amber Riley or Corbin Bleu (if he is cast).  I'm sure they are fine performers . I just would have preferred (not necessarily bigger names) but names that speak more profoundly to our nation. 
But of course, timing and scheduling is big issue with this type of project. Schedules just don't workout sometimes. In any case, I'm very much looking forward to The Wiz."

By all accounts, Beyoncé was offered the role of Glinda and turned it down (twice). Hudson is committed to the revival of The Color Purple and is unavailable. Usher may still be a possibility. For all we know, they have been courting these most influential artists- I would argue Beyoncé is the most influential African American in the country right now not named Obama or Oprah. It's a shame they didn't cast Audra somehow, as she's the most accomplished theater actress working right now, regardless of race. 

They probably have been going after some of these people, but who knows who turned them down because if the commitment, or the fear of looking like Christopher Walken or Carrie Underwood on live television. 

Updated On: 8/6/15 at 07:28 PM

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#404THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/6/15 at 7:35pm

Agreed, Adamgreer. I have no doubt in my mind they went after names like the ones I previously mentioned. Sadly, the artists probably felt the project to be too risky. Can't say I completely blame them.

VintageSnarker
#405THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 2:39am

While they could have arguably gotten bigger names, the cast seems pretty good to me so far. Just based on the talent I think it'll at least be on par with The Sound of Music instead of the hate watch of Peter Pan.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#406THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 3:32am

Fantastic casting! I feel like Uzo, Amber, and Mary all could hear been shifted in to different roles but I'm excited to see what NBC has in store!

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#407THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 3:32am

Fantastic casting! I feel like Uzo, Amber, and Mary all could hear been shifted in to different roles but I'm excited to see what NBC has in store!

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#408THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 5:16am

These latest cast announcements have been on fire. Great job to NBC, I truly hope the third time is a charm (and a ratings success like the Sound of Music). Uzo is fabulous, and Amber Riley truly has a magnificent voice and I actually legitimately enjoyed the acting work she did on Glee (in spite of the fact her character was never truly fleshed out and she remained more of a caricature), especially in the show's final seasons.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Broadwaywest Profile Photo
Broadwaywest
#409THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 8:55am

THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL

Shanice just posted this to Audra. This is girl is beyond all types of awesomness in my book.

Hamilton22 Profile Photo
Hamilton22
#410THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 8:59am

I don't know how you can do THE WIZ and not have Audra in it. That photo is awesome though.

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#411THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 1:46pm

With Beyoncé turning down them twice, I still cant understand how this is going to be a success.

NBC said that Harvey Fierstein is on board to re-write the book. With Stephanie Mills, the original Dorothy on board they could have made lot of changes and turn this into a hit. The story could have revolved around Dorothys son adventures in OZ with Wade "Unique" Adams from GLEE in the main part.

Once again I am finding nothing exciting with the way things are going.

Updated On: 8/7/15 at 01:46 PM

Showface
#412THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 2:01pm

"With Beyoncé turning down them twice, I still cant understand how this is going to be a success.
NBC said that Harvey Fierstein is on board to re-write the book. With Stephanie Mills, the original Dorothy on board they could have made lot of changes and turn this into a hit. The story could have revolved around Dorothys son adventures in OZ with Wade "Unique" Adams from GLEE in the main part.
Once again I am finding nothing exciting with the way things are going.
 "

Yes, you've made your stance The Wiz VERY clear (even though you've only watched 15 minutes of the inferior movie)

However, that doesn't change the fact that you're simply wrong.

Mary J Blidge, Queen Latifah, David Alan Grier, Amber Riley, and Uzo Aduba are HUGE stars that will bring in huge ratings! 

And I can't with your idea of a rewrite.

They don't need to make changes to conform to your idea of hit, because it already is one.

Updated On: 8/7/15 at 02:01 PM

ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man) Profile Photo
ILOHTFAHA (Aida Man)
#413THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 2:03pm

I think it'll be a success because of many things....

1. It doesn't have the stunt casting for the lead role like Carrie Underwood as Maria (I know I should say Allison Williams as Peter Pan too but, out of both of them she was the better actress) or even Christopher Walken as Captain Hook.

2. It has a more contemporary musical sound which will generate more appeal. Wheras the others were a more classic musical sound.

mpd4165
#414THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 2:04pm

And I can't with your idea of a rewrite.
They don't need to make changes to conform to your idea of hit, because it already is one.

^
Good LORD, THIS.

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#415THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 2:08pm

Its not the Wizard of OZ that we know and love. And outside of Broadwayworld.com the show falls flat. That being said if Queen Latifah could have been cast to be the Wizard, Alex Newell could have had the show adapted for him to be Dorothy or instead of Dorothy. I am sure they could have had something arranged.

Showface
#416THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 2:13pm

"Its not the Wizard of OZ that we know and love. And outside of Broadwayworld.com the show falls flat. That being said if Queen Latifah could have been cast to be the Wizard, Alex Newell could have had the show adapted for him to be Dorothy or instead of Dorothy. I am sure they could have had something arranged."

WRONG. It's not the Wizard of OZ that YOU know and love. 

However, for a lot of people (including millions of people outside of this message board), it is fantastic...and a lot of those people only know the film version of The Wiz.

And WHY would they change the plot just so Alex Newell, a C/B-lister who was on Glee for only a little while, could be cast? 

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#417THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 2:21pm

clearly you are someone coming from NBC. LOL.

However you cannot contradict the fact that not only in the USA, but globally the wizard of oz that we know and love is the 1939 movie with Judy Garland.

If fact remains that NBC wanted to go from classic to pop there is a list of Musicals that were a hit and could have been produced.

musicaljen Profile Photo
musicaljen
#418THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 2:24pm

And this is my prediction. Grease will win and Wiz will loose this year.

Showface
#419THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 2:24pm

No, I'm not from NBC.

You seem to think that if it's something that you do not like, then it's not good. 

The Wiz is obviously not for you, and you are not alone, as there are people just like you who won't tune in, but I can assure you that there will be a whole new audience who will tune in to The Wiz. 

You not tuning in isn't going to do any harm to NBC.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#420THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 2:30pm

As has been said, THE WIZ is loved by many many people, even through the horrendous movie. Maybe not as many as The Wizard of Oz but sill a significant amount. 

I think it probably doesn't have as big a fan base as THE SOUND OF MUSIC, but I would certainly say it has a larger one than the Martin PETER PAN.

Based on name recognition I think people will at least tune in, and the casting will no doubt help too. We can't very well call it a failure four months out.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Showface
#421THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 2:30pm

"And this is my prediction. Grease will win and Wiz will loose this year."

So, they're in competition now even though they air over a month from one another?

Anyway, you're probably right saying that Grease will have higher ratings than The Wiz, but even then, I'm predicting there won't be a huge gap. 

The difference between Grease Live and The Wiz Live is that on a casting level, Grease is kind of a mess disaster so far, with casting that makes zero sense. On the other hand, The Wiz has made wonderful casting choices, and the quality level is looking to be 10x better than Grease's.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#422THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 5:06pm

"Its not the Wizard of OZ that we know and love. And outside of Broadwayworld.com the show falls flat. That being said if Queen Latifah could have been cast to be the Wizard, Alex Newell could have had the show adapted for him to be Dorothy or instead of Dorothy. I am sure they could have had something arranged."

Yes, if only Wicked had simply been about "the Wizard of Oz we know and love," it wouldn't have been such a horrific flop. 

BWWMatt Profile Photo
BWWMatt
#423THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 5:14pm

^^^ Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. 

Showface
#424THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/7/15 at 5:18pm

That pitch for a rewrite reminds me of a rejected Todrick Hall video...

Videos