pixeltracker

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions- Page 17

Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#400Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 5:54pm

Just for fun, these are my current guesses...

Best Actor in a Musical
Jon Jon Briones (Miss Saigon)
Josh Groban (The Great Comet)
Andy Karl (Groundhog Day)
David Hyde Pierce (Hello, Dolly!)
Ben Platt (Dear Evan Hansen)

Best Actress in a Musical
Christy Altomare (Anastasia)
Christine Ebersole (War Paint)
Patti LuPone (War Paint)
Bette Midler (Hello, Dolly!)
Phillipa Soo (Amélie)

Best Featured Actor in a Musical
John Bolton (Anastasia)
Gavin Creel (Hello, Dolly!)
Fred Johanson (Sunset Boulevard)
Lucas Steele (The Great Comet)
Brandon Uranowitz (Falsettos)

Best Featured Actress in a Musical
Rachel Bay Jones (Dear Evan Hansen)
Stephanie J. Block (Falsettos)
Jenn Colella (Come from Away)
Amber Grey (The Great Comet)
Caroline O'Connor (Anastasia) OR Mary Beth Peil (Anastasia)

#401Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 5:55pm

I didn't realize David Hyde Pierce was in leading. That sounds right for Best Actor.

PaulWom
#402Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 6:38pm

BroadwayConcierge-- curious as to why Brittain Ashford was omitted from your list? All I hear about from people who go see Comet, whether they loved or disliked it, is how breathtaking Brittain is- especially "Sonya Alone", which stops the show. She also has such a remarkable story, similar to Alex Sharp's in Curious Incident-- she wasn't even an actress before Comet (she led a band!), but learned how to act through this role and this show. I think a lot of people in the community are rooting for her.

BroadwayConcierge
#403Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 6:54pm

PaulWom said: "BroadwayConcierge-- curious as to why Brittain Ashford was omitted from your list?"

Hi PaulWom! I adored Brittain Ashford in Great Comet, and I completely agree that she knocks that number and her overall performance out of the park. I think she’s really something else (and as I've said on other threads, the show is my very favorite of this season). The reason she isn't on my list here, though, is only because it really is such an incredibly strong, competitive year. I personally believe that the actresses I listed are giving more "competitive" performances, as tremendous as I think Brittain is. My predictions are predictions, of course, and I could end up being totally wrong on May 2!

smidge
#404Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:13pm

Yes, Featured Actress is full of possible contenders this year and sad that some will not be nominated.  I did think Brittain had more of an impact on me than Amber. And as much I love Stephanie, I still am predicting Rachel Bay Jones for the win. But I wouldn't be hurt if any of these deserving actresses were took home the Tony

A1st
#405Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:15pm

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for Best Scenic Design.

... too soon? Way too early 2017 Tony predictions

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 08:15 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#406Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:20pm

Condsidering the disappointing responses to the sets, we can all rule out Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

A1st
#407Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:23pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Condsidering the disappointing responses to the sets, we can all rule out Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

"

A real shame too. The set design was my favorite part of the London production and I was expecting so much more for Broadway

BobbyD3
#408Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 9:29pm

I know this puts me in the minority but I actually didn't enjoy Brittain Ashford at all in Great Comet.  I thought it was tragically underplayed and her voice affectation is over-the-top the point of total distraction.  

That being said, I didn't like much about Great Comet.  It was an Artistic dream, but I thought the score was just meh and the storyline was unnecessarily convoluted.  

Personally I liked it a TON less than CFA (my fave) and DEH (a close second) - and I didn't even like it as much as I liked Amelie.  It was a distant fourth for me.

Then again, I hated Sunset Boulevard more than anything I have seen on Broadway...so...

BroadwayConcierge
#409Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:06pm

Who are the potential nominees for Best Lead Actress in a Play this season? First preview reports from A Doll's House, Part 2 tonight are positioning Laurie Metcalf to be a potential frontrunner this year so far...

Other names I can think of off the top of my head: Mary-Louise Parker, Cate Blanchett...who else?

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 11:06 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#410Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:08pm

Jennifer Ehle

Allison Janney

Laura Linney/Cynthia Nixon

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#411Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:09pm

Christian Borle has gotten good reviews so far in Chocolate Factory. I think he would be a real contender for Best Leading Actor in a Musical.

BroadwayConcierge
#412Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:10pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Laura Linney/Cynthia Nixon"

I've also been meaning to clarify this. It's been confirmed that on opening night of The Little Foxes, Linney will play Regina and and Nixon will play Birdie. Are Regina and Birdie both lead roles, or is one leading and the other featured? Sorry to say I'm not familiar with the show at all!

BroadwayBeebe
#413Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:15pm

Rather than Chocolate Factory, I would like to see Borle nominated for his Marvin in Falsettos. One of my favorite performances of the season by far!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#414Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:18pm

Butter Broadway said: "Christian Borle has gotten good reviews so far in Chocolate Factory. I think he would be a real contender for Best Leading Actor in a Musical.

"HA HA...not happening.

Best Actor in a Musical

• Ben Platt (Dear Evan Hansen)
  • David Hyde Pierce (Hello, Dolly!)
  • Jon Jon Briones (Miss Saigon)
  • Josh Groban (The Great Comet)
  • Andy Karl (Groundhog Day)

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Butter Broadway
#415Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:23pm

Why not? He's not good? I can't imagine Groban is giving a better performance than him.

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 11:23 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#416Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:26pm

Butter Broadway said: "Why not? He's not good? I can't imagine Groban is giving a better performance than him.

"Imagine yes Butter

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BroadwayConcierge
#417Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:27pm

Butter Broadway said: "I can't imagine Groban is giving a better performance than him."

Why...not?

Butter Broadway
#418Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:34pm

Because Borle is a really good actor.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#419Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:41pm

Butter Broadway said: "Because Borle is a really good actor.

"

That doesn't mean he's giving a good performance. 

Jeffrey Karasarides
#420Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/30/17 at 11:48pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Laura Linney/Cynthia Nixon"

I've also been meaning to clarify this. It's been confirmed that on opening night of The Little Foxes, Linney will play Regina and and Nixon will play Birdie. Are Regina and Birdie both lead roles, or is one leading and the other featured? Sorry to say I'm not familiar with the show at all!
"

I'm not familiar with the play either, but from what I'm aware of, Regina is the lead while Birdie is supporting.

Tiann Nerng Chong
#421Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/31/17 at 1:10am

Set Design - Miss Saigon..?

cam5y
#422Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/31/17 at 1:18am

Butter Broadway said: "Why not? He's not good? I can't imagine Groban is giving a better performance than him."

I'm far from being Comet's greatest fan, but Groban is giving an extraordinary performance acting-wise as well as vocally. I had no idea he had it in him. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#423Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/31/17 at 1:29am

I think set design might go to great Comet or hello Dolly 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

PaulWom
#424Way too early 2017 Tony predictions
Posted: 3/31/17 at 1:55am

Totally agree re: Groban.

By the way, I know I've mentioned this in another thread, but advocating for Denee's performance-- having seen Comet once right after previews and then again very recently, it was astonishing to me how well Denee has grown into the part, acting-wise and vocally. As it stands right now, it is a very competitive performance. I think if Tony nominators/voters return to the show, she will definitely get a nomination.

See this video from the recording to hear what I'm talking about! https://youtu.be/OL6GLr3k_Vo

And this interview- go to the end, and you'll see footage of her "Don't call him bad" moment, which was just as heartbreaking as when I last saw it. https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-TV-Exclusive-Follow-THE-GREAT-COMET-Into-the-Recording-Studio-with-Denee-Benton-20170330

Also, it had occurred to me... The OOBC recording we're all so used to with Pippa had been recorded 1-2 years after the show's initial run at Ars (I believe?). So what we keep hearing is a version of someone who had been doing this challenging role for quite some time, and had time to grow into it vocally and emotionally.  Seeing Denee at the beginning of her run and comparing her to that Pippa performance was kind of unfair, IMO. Just my two cents!

Videos