pixeltracker

Official FRINGENYC Thread!- Page 2

Official FRINGENYC Thread!

nutheatre
#25re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/14/09 at 2:21am

It looks like the HINT cast is awesome. Here's their website www.hintthemusical.com

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#26re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/14/09 at 4:32pm

Spencer Liff and Nick Adams are both in FAR OUT.

Bailey Hanks is in VOTE!

Autumn Hurlburt is in something, but I don't remember what.

Ian McKellen is in THIRTY MINUTES OR LESS! (Okay, that's a lie, but you should see it anyway. :) )

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#27re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/14/09 at 4:38pm

Autumn Hurlburt is in something, but I don't remember what.

VOTE! the musical, cast by... uh, Daryl Eisenberg. But it's ok, because Autumn rocks. re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Yero my Hero Profile Photo
Yero my Hero
#28re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/14/09 at 4:44pm

No, she's not in VOTE. She was in the workshop, but now she is in the Fringe show A CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN'S GUIDE TO MARRIAGE, I think.

Nothing matters but knowing nothing matters. ~ Wicked
Everything in life is only for now. ~ Avenue Q
There is no future, there is no past. I live this moment as my last. ~ Rent

"He's a tramp, but I love him."

loveapiano2
#29re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/14/09 at 6:08pm

that's correct... autumn hurlbert is in "a contemporary american's guide to a successful marriage" and it has already has a soldout performance!!!!
and bailey is in vote! the musical. which opens tonight, i think!

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#30re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/15/09 at 12:41am

Saw three shows tonight. Two were good and one was excellent.

Truth Values is a one woman show that never lost my interest. I think it could have benefited from a slight structural rearrangement, but no major complaints. And it was a story well told.

Winnamucca was interesting, a little out there, and probably took a hit by being my third show of the night after working all day. The performances were excellent.

Groupies is a winner. Tightly written, touching and occasionally creepy glimpses into the lives of four different characters, much of which I found I could relate to. Groupies stands as a fine piece of writing, as is. Each actor was perfect for their character.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

RentBoy86
#31re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/15/09 at 1:40am

Sorry to be lame, but I couldn't figure out who is in HINT by their website. Granted my internet is being strange and only letting me see some webpages?

TheatreGuy5
#32re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/15/09 at 2:26pm

Saw SORORITY QUEEN IN A MOBILE HOME yesterday afternoon. It was pretty hilarious.

Have tickets to HOW NOW DOW JONES, which I hear is great. (I have always loved that show, anyway.)

Have been getting ideas from the Producer's Perspective, so I may go see 666, Lincoln's Big Gay Dance Party, etc.

Any more suggestions?

Updated On: 8/16/09 at 02:26 PM

iflitifloat
#33re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/15/09 at 2:54pm

Off to see Dancing with Ghosts and Viral. More later.

mryuk55
#34re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/15/09 at 4:11pm

Saw Hint last night with a few friends. We all had a great time! Not your typical Fringe fest show.

The cast is all on point (some minor flubs from an older actor). As far as I could tell the most noteworthy cast members are Patti Perkins from Bway's The Full Monty and Susan Jacks from Papermill's Monty. Also, Bonnie Milligan (co-writer and Thelma in the show) is outstanding! Other cast members include Lianne Marie Dobbs, Justin Glasser, Jeff Horst, Krista Kurtzberg, Karen Mason, Elizabeth Ness, Rebecka Yay, and Robert Zanfini.

Hint was a great way to spend an hour and a half, plenty of laughs and some really amazing music. I would love to see it worked on more, could definately be turned into a full show.

Props to Scenic Designer Peter Martino... possibly the best fringe festival set I have ever seen. I can not imagine what the crew has to go through to put it up and take it down for each performance. I would mark Hint as a must see this festival.

JackiesBroJoe Profile Photo
JackiesBroJoe
#35re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 1:43am

Kristy Cates, Marty Thomas and Eryn Murman are in For the Love of Christ. I had 2 friends who went today and had a great time. I'm going on Wednesday night and will report back.

RentBoy86
#36re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 2:24am

Any other notable musicals? I really want to see "For the Love of Christ," and "Hint" as well as the Sci-Fi one.

HoboNumberThree
#37re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 11:02am

For RentBoy and anyone else looking for a good musical, might I suggest Zipperface. Our opening was sold out and it went extremely well.
If you don't believe me (full disclosure: I'm a very biased party whose name shows up a couple of times on the program), check out our website whoiszipperface.com to see if the show is up your alley. We have 4 more performances, one of which is sold out.

Updated On: 8/16/09 at 11:02 AM

HoboNumberThree
#38re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 11:02am

Ps. I totally considered creating a fake user name to talk up the show but I figured that whole "TheaterLover32" who just joined the site and happens to want to rave about one show routine is a little transparent (I'm looking at you, a few other people on this thread...)

Updated On: 8/16/09 at 11:02 AM

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#39re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 11:07am

Saw HOW NOW DOW JONES yesterday afternoon. Loved it! So cute and adorable. A bit dated but still relevant. Excellent ensemble. To-notch performances, especially for a musical revival(!) in a Fringe fest. Colin Hanlon was just so sexy. I mean really. And Cristen Paige was so sweet and genuine (and screaming as the next Glinda). Nice soft-shoe. Fluidic scene and lighting changes. Very professional. And the only non-Equity actress Cori Silberman was superb!

I also saw VOTE. Generally not enjoyable. Nice-ish ensemble songs and Deidre Goodwin used jazz-hands, but all the mics were messed-up so I honestly couldnt hear half the show. Wasnt interested in much of what was going on on-stage anyway. The dancing football jock was scrumptiously hot and the skinny long-blonde cheerleader got the best laughs. Updated On: 8/16/09 at 11:07 AM

iflitifloat
#40re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 11:50am

Yesterday I saw Dancing with Ghosts, Viral and Pie Face and I came home feeling like it was a day well spent.

Dancing with Ghosts is an odd and intriguing performance piece, a side show if you prefer. Anthropological, asks questions without providing answers (that's okay here...), and is audience-interactive. I really liked it.

Viral. Hilarious and very well acted. I'm still processing the overall statement of the show. And the ending, which left me disturbed. The next morning (now) I'm a little more okay with it.

And finally, I opted at the last minute to watch a solo performer show Anita Bryant a little Pie-Face love. It was the perfect last show of the evening. A light and funny look at the misguided life and shallow thought processes of Ms. Bryant. It made its points in a ever campy, but sincere and charming way.

You really couldn't go wrong seeing any of them.

TheatreGuy5
#41re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 4:33pm

Thanks for the info! Have tickets to Zipperface! I am only seeing ten shows (limited time in NYC), but I am happy for the recommendation!!

loveapiano2
#42re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 6:28pm

i would def reccommend seeing "a contemproary american's guide to a successful marriage" it opens monday, i think. they already have some sold out performances and there are really cute clips of them on NY1....
http://www.ny1.com/Default.aspx?ArID=104082&ap=1&Flash

CAX
#43re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 7:17pm

Saw Rule of Nines. Wish I hadn't.

TheatreGuy5
#44re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 9:34pm

Am I the only one who didn't like VOTE? I have five more shows to see. Are there any standouts?

Updated On: 8/16/09 at 09:34 PM

randomness
#45re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 10:32pm

Also saw How Now Dow Jones on Saturday 8/15. It was very delightful. Definitely a little dated, but with nice updates. Overall a nice musical theater postcard from the 1960s. Cast was great; Colin Hanlon could sell me stocks anyday. (Am I the only one who feels a little bit awkward about elaborate dance sequences in very small theaters though?) Jeff Bowen (!) was a few rows ahead.

Have tickets to Far Out next Saturday and am definitely interested in more people's feedback from other shows.

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#46re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 10:48pm

TERRIFIC FRINGE BINGE TODAY!

I started the afternoon at HINT: The Murder Mystery Musical (thanks to the word-of-mouth on this board). My friend and I were in-stitches. Very cheesy and vaudeville-esque. Exactly what you expect in a murder mystery. Some of the book ran dry (I want the money! Im afraid in this house! blabla) but the ensemble was so great. Namely Bonnie Milligan (Co-Writer and starring as Thelma). She had the audience in the palm of her hand. Impressive scenery too (considering most Fringe shows only have a 30-min load-in). Great lighting cues and sound. VERY FUNNY crowd-pleaser.

Then went shopping.
And tanning.

And ended my day with AMERICAS NEXT TOP BOTTOM. Oh-my-gawd this was the surprise gay hit!!! It is one-part gay camp, one-part improv, one-part reality show, one-part audience participation and 100% HILARIOUS!!! The premise is simple: Crown the tiara on the most talented bottom. But the gay stereotypes are so over-the-top (no pun intended) and straight out of an SNL skit. The host of the show is SO FREAKING FUNNY and so much of the show is off-the-cuff. The audience votes on the winner (so each ending is different per night) BUT ALSO each evenings performance is different because the contestants do different acts (ribbon-dancing, juggling, strutting). Completely unplanned and SO FUNNY! There is a very loose script but otherwise just a hoot!!!! Highly recommended.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#47re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 10:57pm

Vote was absolutely dreadful. Was my first fringe show and really made me not want to go to another one. But some of the comments on this have made me interested in a few more so I may go to them.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#48re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 11:10pm

Agree about Vote. I enjoyed Deidre Goodwin, but other than that... if Vote had had an intermission I would have left during it.

I saw Complete yesterday and really enjoyed it.

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#49re: Official FRINGENYC Thread!
Posted: 8/16/09 at 11:19pm

i saw Vote today anddd....ugh. it wasn't terrible, but i don't know how any of you are saying it can run off broadway right now. it has alot of potential, and i hope it doesn't just stay potential, but i left a disappointed. i thought bailey was pretty good an so was moragan karr but the sound was REALLY off so sometimes it was hard to make things out. i loved the jock that always had the football and the other cheerleader friend. the choreography was pretty awesome too.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

Videos