pixeltracker

What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?- Page 2

What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#25What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/4/10 at 11:07pm

I would be distracted by the outline car if every other scenic element was fully realized except for that. But they weren't. It was a homogeneous concept so nothing bothered me.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

LesMiz24601 Profile Photo
LesMiz24601
#26What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/5/10 at 12:10am

I respect the idea of the outline and imagination...and by the way I loved this production. However I think it wouldn't have hurt to have a tiny bit more of a set. Referring two the two chairs...I GREATLY respect actors who can turn lead into gold, but does it REALLY hurt if they are encompassed by a nice set. I mean when I saw South Pacific (Yes I know it is very different then Ragtime) I could enjoy the amazing acting, while looking at the glorious Pacific Ocean. When I saw Ragtime, I just saw the door of the house rather than a house as sort of a distraction. I mean I get the point of the director, but what would have been the damage of having a piano and a car and a house that the audience could relate two. Honestly I thought the car, while it sorta worked, DID look so funny as he jumped in and trotted off like the flinstones....and it was such a dramatic moment. The American Dream of Coelhouse of owning a car, his wheels of a dream, should have been a really nice car...but yet instead of cheering him on, I almost laughed out loud as he rolled that thing off the stage.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/5/10 at 12:12am

"What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?"

- The Audience.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#28What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/5/10 at 12:44am

I still don't understand the complaints of a "cheap" set. A car that drives is more important than a giant 4-level set piece that actually progresses the show in an interesting way? Really?

Dottie, ljay asks because he refuses to believe that anyone who criticizes Night Music could have possibly seen it; obviously, as Ragtime fans, we're just biased and want to blindly badmouth it. Meanwhile, he decided Night Music was the best show of the season before it was even cast, but you shouldn't dare call him on that.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#29What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/5/10 at 12:51am

Oh, I see rottenskittles is at it again. Thanks, but I don't need a secretary to answer questions and concerns for me.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#30What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/5/10 at 12:54am

I still don't understand the complaints of a "cheap" set. A car that drives is more important than a giant 4-level set piece that actually progresses the show in an interesting way? Really?
I'm a huge fan of the show and the production, but even I admit the one element that doesn't work in this concept is the car. It's unintentionally comical when he walks off in his car like Fred Flinstone, and then when he starts trying to "back up" it gets even funnier. Sorry. Love the production otherwise, but the care was a misfire.

Dottie, ljay asks because he refuses to believe that anyone who criticizes Night Music could have possibly seen it;
I can say with 100% certainty that isn't true. Ljay and I saw the show together and have had numerous discussions both on and off board about this production of ALNM, and while I enjoyed it overall, I do have criticisms, which we often discuss...never once has he questioned whether I was actually in attendance that night.

Meanwhile, he decided Night Music was the best show of the season before it was even cast, but you shouldn't dare call him on that.
Again, you're 100% wrong. Ljay actually had a lot of trepidation and concerns about this production, even when the cast was announced. I could link the posts for you, but you don't seem interested in facts, just in personally attacking another poster you disagree with.

orangeskittles
#31What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/5/10 at 12:56am

Maybe if you hadn't made your agenda re: Night Music so blatantly obvious over the last 6 months, people wouldn't be able to call you out on it.

Just a suggestion for next season- XOXO

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#32What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/5/10 at 12:59am

I really don't care what you think.
Funny, the orange skittles always leave a bad taste in my mouth.

orangeskittles
#33What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/5/10 at 1:33am

I can say with 100% certainty that isn't true. Ljay and I saw the show together and have had numerous discussions both on and off board about this production of ALNM, and while I enjoyed it overall, I do have criticisms, which we often discuss...never once has he questioned whether I was actually in attendance that night.

Gee, I wonder why he didn't question your presence when HE SAW IT WITH YOU.

ljay has asked multiple posters on the board if they even saw the show after they criticized it. That's not a "curiosity", that's an accusation. Actually, he did outright accuse me of not having seen the show, and used that to attack me. Forgive me for taking offense at the repeated suggestion by him that certain posters would have criticized Night Music without having seen it- and when countered with facts, resorted to personal attacks, as above.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#35What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/5/10 at 1:54am

Apparently they cut the budget for a mass theatrical and DVD release of the final performance.

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#36What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 1:42am

I prefer the emphasis to be on the music and the characters. The original set was too busy. The revival used the "silhouette" metaphor much more effectively, including the car and the piano.

As an aside, I admit that when someone goes off about a show in a thread that's about an entirely separate production, it does seem somewhat obsessive. ljay, you'd be much more convincing if you'd just come to terms with the fact that not everyone is going to like something just because you think it's perfect. Let everyone have their say and graciously accept that there are differences of opinion.

There will NEVER be 100% agreement about anything ever.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#37What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 1:55am

You really had to bump this to tell me that? Really? Thank you, Miss Pennywise. And please find where I stated that Night Music is "perfect."

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#38What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 1:59am

I did not "bump" this thread in order to say anything to you, ljay. I was making a comment about RAGTIME, which is what this thread is about.

Nevertheless, you're welcome.

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 2:05am

Well you did mention me by name. It looked as if you directed that all towards me.

I just think it's ridiculous that orangeskittles has painted me as this Ragtime hater. It's really quite humorous. I saw the Ragtime revival twice, and was moved both times by the experience. But apparently I had an agenda to destroy the revival.

Anyway. I am officially done with this topic.

Goodnight What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?

Updated On: 1/12/10 at 02:05 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#40What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 9:42am

As an aside, I admit that when someone goes off about a show in a thread that's about an entirely separate production, it does seem somewhat obsessive.

Except that it was Dottie, not Ljay, who brought up the revival of ALNM in this thread.

ljay, you'd be much more convincing if you'd just come to terms with the fact that not everyone is going to like something just because you think it's perfect.

Well, there's the pot calling the kettle black, penny.

You will not find a bigger supporter of Ragtime than I, but really, the lengths some people will go to defend every element of this production is astounding. Isn't it rich, indeed. Updated On: 1/12/10 at 09:42 AM

Dagobert Profile Photo
Dagobert
#41What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 11:28am

Maybe the point of the car being propelled by Coalhouse was that Coalhouse had to be the engine of his own dreams, as we all do, as Tateh was...the car was the silhouette of the American Dream not the actual realization of it....
...that said, I did not think it worked the way it was done either.

orangeskittles
#42What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 11:36am

You will not find a bigger supporter of Ragtime than I, but really, the lengths some people will go to defend every element of this production is astounding.

Really? We won't find a bigger supporter than someone who heard about the extension and immediately rushed to attack the producers?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#43What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 12:33pm

Really? We won't find a bigger supporter than someone who heard about the extension and immediately rushed to attack the producers?

I call a spade a spade. I'm not blinded like some people here. Plenty of good shows have bad producers.
Updated On: 1/12/10 at 12:33 PM

orangeskittles
#44What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 12:56pm

Addendum- attacking the producers because they wouldn't refund the ticket you bought for the first closing in exchange for a ticket to the new closing?

That's not bad producers, that's a spoiled fan who believes the rules of ticket sales don't apply to him.

Updated On: 1/12/10 at 12:56 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#45What was cut out of the Ragtime revival?
Posted: 1/12/10 at 1:23pm

If you say so.

Videos