Fanny, Fanny, Fanny

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#25Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/7/10 at 3:13am

I saw the show tonight and I thought it was wonderful! I was completely unfamiliar with the show/music and I was hooked from the very first number. What a gorgeous score and such fine singers to perform it! Elena Shaddow & James Snyder were outstanding! Really really impressive! I was very taken by the book too, I found the story very strong and the final scene very emotional. The only place in which I think it faltered was, sadly, George Hearn. Love him, but he was completely reading off the script the entire show tonight. His eyes were down more than half the time he was onstage. Other than that, I have no complaints! Very glad I decided to go!

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

Dollypop
#26Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/7/10 at 9:01am

I'm the first to admit that my memory is starting to fade, but I have a recollection of the big "FOLLIES-in-Concert" at Lincoln Center 'way back when (the one with Lee Remick, Carol Burnett and Barbara Cook). In that show George Hearn pulled out a cheat sheet during one of his numbers. That moment was skillfully edited out of the TV version.

In FANNY, I also felt that Hearn was having difficulty with his pitch and was singing almost sotto voce and letting his mic do the work for him.

I have so many wonderful memories of Hearn in LA CAGE, A DOLL'S LIFE and SWEENEY TODD with LuPone. It was sad to witness him in FANNY.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#27Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/7/10 at 9:42pm

He wasn't that bad. He's George Hearn. He's old.

But, boy, was Fred Applegate amazing as Panisse. So moving.

And I don't think I've ever seen Elena Shadow before, but she was wonderful as well.

It was actually the best acted Encores in a long time. I was very involved dramatically, whereas at Encores, I'm usually observing a fun museum piece. It helps that the original Pagnol is so strong, and the score is gorgeous, but I liked it so much better than I expected to.

I think this Marc Bruni is a very talented director.

Dollypop
#28Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/7/10 at 9:45pm

Now, when will the rumors start about a Broadway transfer?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#29Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/7/10 at 9:47pm

I'd never seen Elena Shaddow in anything before either, but I know she played Clara in the tour of The Light in the Piazza. I had a very easy time imagining what a wonderful Clara she must've been.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#30Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/7/10 at 9:49pm

This is one show that really deserves to be recorded.

Dollypop
#31Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/7/10 at 9:49pm

I saw Elena in FIDDLER IN THE SOUP.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#32Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/7/10 at 10:39pm

What a captivating evening, and I agree with PJ - Fred Applegate was so moving as Panisse. A very touching performance in a wonderfully acted and sung production. I'm so glad I got to see it tonight.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#33Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/7/10 at 11:03pm

givesmevoice, having seen Elena Shaddow in the Piazza tour, I can attest that she was wonderful as Clara.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#34Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/8/10 at 12:50am

Saw it tonight and I really enjoyed getting to see this great piece of musical theater! The score has some truly beautiful numbers and the scenes between Panisse and Cesar are just so fun.

I have to disagree with many of you about Elena Shaddow, I was not impressed. Her singing was decent, but to me she seemed a little lost in the role. However, I was blown away by James Snyder's voice... WOW! He got off to such a strong start with "Restless Heart" and his vocal prowess throughout the night never ceased to thrill. Mr. Applegate did give a wonderful performance and its amazing how complete it felt given the little rehearsal time. As for George Hearn, personally I found his two solos to be the most moving parts of the night. Yes his voice is a little shot, and yes he did rely on the book more then others. But, MY GOD, his interpretations of "Welcome Home" and "Love Is a Very Light Thing" were so sincere, the latter almost bringing me to tears. Also, you got to love Encores! for having Shannon Lewis AND Megan Sikora dancing in the chorus...

Michelle616 Profile Photo
Michelle616
#35Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/8/10 at 10:37am

I saw the show last night, as well, and LOVED it. I wasn't familiar with the score at all prior to the show, but I thought it was absolutely beautiful.

I was so impressed with James Snyder's voice. On my way home, I kept wishing that they could record the show just so I could listen to his "Restless Heart" and "Fanny" again.

Dollypop
#36Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/8/10 at 10:54am

Although the obc has some excellent performances in it, the recording is sloppy and truncated. It would be nice if this cast could head to a recording studio and put a more complete rendition of the score on disc.

Where's bryan?

Dollypop
#37Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/8/10 at 7:23pm

Did anyone notice the resemblance that Priscilla Lopez had to Patti LuPone in this show?

Updated On: 2/8/10 at 07:23 PM

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#38Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/8/10 at 8:05pm

^ A friend of mine had commented on just based on seeing a picture of Priscilla Lopez.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Videos