Fanny, Fanny, Fanny

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#1Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 12:03am

Wow what a great, great night at Encores!! I've always loved this score, but never really understood the full scope of how it fit together with the book/story. This show is absolutely beautiful and kind of reminded me of my favorite show, "The Most Happy Fella."

Not enough can be said about Harold Rome's lush and haunting score. I simply can not get the title song out of my head. Happily, the voices in this production certainly do the songs justice.

James Snyder really gave a great performance as Marius. Restless Heart and Fanny were so wonderful. I had chills during both numbers, and his I Like You duet with George Hearn was very touching.

Speaking of Mr. Hearn, this man really knows how to deliver a song with heartfelt emotion. I realize he's a legend, but it's nice to see a legend continue to impress and live up to his status.

Fred Applegate was a delight as Panisse, especially in the second act. Priscilla Lopez was a lot of fun in her essentially non-singing role.

Elena Shaddow has a beautiful voice, and I liked the sullen acceptance of life she allowed her character to have. Always searching for happiness, but knowing she would have to settle for something different than she expected.

The score and book are woven seemlessly together and the characters are realistically drawn. They are romantic and have hopes and dreams, but they also know they must live within the realities of the world in which they are surrounded.

I can't urge you strongly enough not to let this one pass you by. I know there hasn't been a lot of buzz about this show, but if you take a chance on it you'll be greatly rewarded.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

bwaylvsong
#2Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 12:15am

Aww, I wish I could see this! If only it were going up next week...

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#2Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 12:24am

Seeing it Sunday--can't wait! I know a few people in the singing and dancing chorus. They all say they feel so lucky to be involved.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#3Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 12:25am

I just got back from seeing Fanny, and I agree that the score is so gorgeous. I found the book to be a little weak, and was trying to decide if some character development got edited out or if it was a little on the weak side to begin with. Regardless, it didn't make the show any less beautiful for me.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 12:41am

Seeing this tomorrow and honestly wasn't that excited but now I'm quite looking forward to it!

givesmevoice
#5Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 12:46am

Are you going to the matinee? I believe Florence Henderson will be at the talkback, so that should be interesting!

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Jordan Catalano
#6Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 12:47am

Oh wow! I didn't know there was going to be a talkback so that'll be great! :) :)

givesmevoice
#7Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 12:50am

They've always done the talkbacks after the Saturday matinees that I've been to, so I assume that's pretty standard. I usually like to go to the matinee so I can stay for the talkback, but decided to go tonight in case the weather is bad tomorrow.

I hope you enjoy the show and talkback though!

WhizzerMarvin
#8Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 7:51am

I heard Henderson will be at the talkback today too, and if I didn't have to work I would go back to the matinee in a heartbeat.

givesmevoice- There was some editing to the book, at least compared to the copy of the book I have. I didn't think any of the minor trimming took away from the development of the lead characters though.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#9Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 9:12am

I saw a production of Fanny quite a few years back at Goodspeed and remembered how great the music was.
The Encores performance sure didn't disappoint musically. Great voices all around.

I was a little suprised by George Hearn to be honest. Did he not have a rehearsal with the script? I heard him fumbling with lines and each time he took his eyes off the script for a second, he seemed to stall while trying to finding his place again. That was quite different from all the others who clearly know all their lines and the script simply becomes a prop. Given some rehearsals and memorizing the script, I'll bet he and Fred Applegate could have really had some great scenes together (particularly the one by the bed which kind of fell apart as Mr. Hearn searched for his lines and tried to adlib pauses).

There are some problems with the book, but the most awkward moment in the show once again became that ill-placed Circus number.

Still it's a fine production and very worth seeing.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#10Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 9:23am

I'm listening to the OBCR now for the first time and am loving it!
I have seen the movie (in which no one sings, but uses the songs for background music) and was enchanted by it.

....but the world goes 'round

WhizzerMarvin
#11Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 10:08am

The OBCR is a real treat, even though some of the songs are out of order. After seeing the show I wish the recording could have been a little more complete though. There are many reprises that are dovetailed into the book that would have been difficult to record without including a good chunk of the dialog. Plus, a good deal of the book is underscored to near cinematic effect.

Jon
#12Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 11:48am

There definitely is some dialogue/character development cut from this "concert adaptation" by David Ives. It reportedly runs 2 hours and 20 minutes, and they didn't cut any of the music - including the endless "circus ballet". The original show ran 2:40 at least.

Dollypop
#13Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 1:26pm

Saw last night's performance and absolutely loved it. Snyder was incredibly good, as was Applegate. I have to admit that I was disappointed in George Hearn. Not only was he glued to his script, but his singing was tentative. If this was an effect of aging, it was truly sad, but I'm not far behind him.

Sat across the aisle from Florence Henderson and she was a true doll!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Dollypop
#14Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 1:56pm

I can't get the title tune out of my head!

WhizzerMarvin
#15Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 2:05pm

Neither can I, Dollypop! I literally woke up singing it and haven't been able to shake the melody since. This show seems to have such an effect on me!

Dollypop
#16Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 2:10pm

The friend who joined me for the show last night just called and he's in the same situation. That Harold Rome melody is absolute gold!

Jordan Catalano
#17Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 6:13pm

What a truly wonderful show! I had never heard this score before and really knew nothing about this show going in. I can't remember the last time a show surprised me so much!

I did end up staying for the talkback and yes, Florence Henderson was there and she told some really great stories about the original cast and about Ezio Pinza and the creation of the show. If you get a chance to see it tomorrow before it closes, I highly recommend it!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#18Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 6:14pm

I'm heading to tonight's performance...can't wait!

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Dagobert Profile Photo
Dagobert
#19Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 10:01pm

Can't help but wonder what Rodgers and Hammerstein would have done with this show if they had not been so offended by David Merrick asking that his name be above the title that they dropped out without any negotiation whatsoever...this would probably have become a classic instead of the chestnut it is...

Dollypop
#20Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 10:10pm

Can you imagine Mary Martin as Fanny?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#21Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 11:05pm

Two words: pure heaven.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Jordan Catalano
#22Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 11:06pm

Dollypop, that reminded me of something Florence said today. She said that Mary Martin was doing PETER PAN at the time and when they opened with FANNY and she sent Ezio a note that said "I hope your Fanny is as big as my Peter. Love, Mary".

I thought it was hilarious. =)

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#23Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/6/10 at 11:22pm

I saw it tonight and loved it! I had never heard the score before and it is so lovely and so beautifully sung by this cast. I was also a bit disappointed by George Hearn, he really seemed to be fumbling for lines. Priscilla Lopez was definitely a standout, she's always fantastic. I was also really pleasantly surprised by James Snyder...I had seen him in Cry-Baby and thought he was awful in that but he was fantastic here. I'd love to see him take on another more "classic" leading man role, his voice sounded lovely and he was very endearing as Marius. Elena Shaddow also has a lovely voice and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing her in La Cage. I loved Fred Applegate's performance as well. If any of you who haven't gone already can go tomorrow, do it...I was able to get one of the $50 seats in the front row of the rear mezz about 2 and a half hours before curtain today and I found some $25 ones for tomorrow night online last night. It was really a nice evening.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#24Fanny, Fanny, Fanny
Posted: 2/7/10 at 12:35am

Has George Hearn come out the stage door? I'm such a big fan of his and would love to meet him.

Videos