pixeltracker

Understudies that should have played the role full time- Page 2

Understudies that should have played the role full time

suttonfoster Profile Photo
suttonfoster
#25Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/27/10 at 11:20pm

"Jenny DiNoia needs to become a full time Elphaba somewhere."

I never get this. I don't think her vocal chops are NEARLY as good as any elphaba I've ever seen.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#26Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/27/10 at 11:41pm

Emily Rozek as Glinda on the Wicked tour (She was u/s to Kendra Kassebaum when I saw it)

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

dg22894
#27Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/27/10 at 11:59pm

Jenna Uskawitz (sp) as Thea is SA she was amazing when i saw her in it

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#28Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 12:03am

Okayfine, Luoyong Wang was the regular Engineer. Maybe Paul Matsumoto was the understudy you're thinking of?

dg22894, it's spelled Ushkowitz.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#29Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 12:06am

When I saw LEGALLY BLONDE the first time with the full original company, I found it a fun piece of bubblegum lacking a real "star" to drive it along.

The second time I saw it, with Haven Burton on for Elle, I was blown away by how the entire energy of the show completely turned around. Burton was leaps and bounds better than Laura Bell Bundy, with a truly unique presence and quirky, sincere charisma that was exactly what the role was sorely missing originally.

I'm very disappointed she never got to take a crack at it on a full-time basis.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 7/28/10 at 12:06 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#30Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 12:16am

I completely agree about Haven Burton. She was (pardon the pun) so much better than the other Elles I saw (Bundy, Becky Gulsvig, Bailey Hanks, and Kate Rockwell). Huge voice, smart acting, and a ton of presence.

Incidentally, her Fiona was much better than Sutton Foster's as well. I'm glad she's getting the chance to play it full-time on the road.

brandontwin2 Profile Photo
brandontwin2
#31Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 12:20am

I completely agree with everything said about Haven Burton. Her Elle was superior to all of the others and I'm really happy she is playing Fiona because I think she was amazing in that role also.

I think Michelle London should be full time Glinda in Wicked and Merideth Kaye Clark should have been full time Elphaba.

LizzieCurry
#32Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 12:42am

* Charles Hagerty in the final few years of the Les Miz tour

* Steven Goldsmith as Frankie in the SF/Chicago production of Jersey Boys

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#33Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 1:06am

Agreed with Haven Burton in Shrek.

Tommy Batchelor should have been in the original rotation instead of just the standby as Billy in Billy Elliot.
Updated On: 7/28/10 at 01:06 AM

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#34Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 1:13am

Claire Moore as Sarah Brightman's understudy as Christine in Phantom of the Opera. It's actually kind of hilarious how closely it mirrored the plot of the show, with Sarah Brightman unable to perform the first preview and Claire Moore singing like an angel.

I actually liked Cicily Daniels more than Sherie Rene Scott in the role of Ursula in The Little Mermaid.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#35Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 1:17am

Brandon, I'm glad you said Michelle London! Her Glinda is truly amazing but her Nessa is PERFECTION!

I don't think she'll be an understudy for.. too much longer Understudies that should have played the role full time

EDIT: I guess I'll just go ahead and post it, since she has told people now, but her last day with the 2NT is Sunday. Not sure about her join date, but she will be the new Nessa on the 1NT :) YAY! Updated On: 7/28/10 at 01:17 AM

itsboq
#36Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 1:18am

Coleen Sexton for Elphaba...she was amazing!!! Kathleen Monteleone for Elle, I have seen quite a few elles and she was brilliant!!!

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#37Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 4:34am

LizzieCurry wrote, "Steven Goldsmith as Frankie in the SF/Chicago production of Jersey Boys"

I don't know how he was in Jersey Boys, but I do know that he's adorable.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#38Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 8:22am

Gabrielle Ruiz should take over Nina in In the Heights instead of bringing Jordin in. Saw her twice in the role. She's very solid with a powerful voice.

::bust a move::

LizzieCurry
#39Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 10:09am

nobodyhome, haha! He was Joey for the entire run and I think right now (or very recently) was a swing in Toronto. I saw his first performance as Frankie. Amazing!

tamra2
#40Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 10:14am

i think Jim Daly should have been given the chance to play Matthew full time at some point. before he left the show.

and i also think KDM should have been given Fiyero at some point although I am not a wicked fan, so i am selfishly glad he has a full time role in a better show, and with a better role.

notabb
#41Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 11:04am

James Clow as Bobby in COMPANY. He subbed for Boyd Gaines.....a lot!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#42Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 11:32am

Jeremy Jordan as DREW in ROCK OF AGES...He had a certain charm that Constantine didn't.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Okayfine
#43Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 11:33am

Lizziecurry - you're a genius. Yes, it was Paul Matsumoto in Saigon! Thanks very much for that info. I felt as if I wanted to say his name was Japanese, but I was afraid of the roving hoards of Righteous Correctors.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#44Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 11:57am

Have you seen Jennifer DiNoia live? She is absolutely amazing. Her voice is actually one of the strongest of the Elphaba's, and she plays the part with a certain likability that others lack. So, go see her when she's on, then you will get all the hype about her.

LizzieCurry
#45Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 12:05pm

Okayfine: Ha! I just went to IBDB and looked at the list of people named Paul who had been in Miss Saigon, and checked if any of them understudied the Engineer. :)

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#46Understudies that should have played the role full time
Posted: 7/28/10 at 12:14pm

They should just give Courtney Reed the role of Vanessa in ITH and give Gabrielle Ruiz the role Carla permanently

Videos