#25Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 3:58pm

Updated On: 1/8/11 at 03:58 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#26Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 4:08pm

Kyle Dean Massey as Aladdin please?

The character is middle-eastern. I'd find it insulting if the white-bred Kyle Dean Massey played the role. Would they put dark makeup on him?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#27Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 4:18pm

Lion King isn't going anywhere. Poppins may close within a year so Aladdin has the New Amsterdam. Poppins really only does bad a few months out of the year. Could it get moved to a different theater and Aladdin still take the New Amsterdam?? Should be interesting to see where Poppins & Aladdin will be this time next year,

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#28Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 4:21pm

Lea Salonga popped into my head for Jasmine but I'm guessing she's too old?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#29Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 4:27pm

Umm, yes.

She was the singing voice of Jasmine in the original animated film.

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#30Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 4:49pm

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

NotSinceCarrie2
#31Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 4:59pm

It wouldn't surprise me if they've been calling Nathan Lane at all hours of the day, asking him to take on the role of the Genie.

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#32Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 5:14pm

Nathan Lane is my all time favorite actor. I'm his biggest fan. But he is all kinds of wrong for the Genie.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#33Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 7:12pm

I don't think he'd ever do the role, but how exactly is Nathan Lane wrong for the Genie? The role calls for a skilled comedian with strong improvisational skills. That's pretty much what he is.

AEA AGMA SM
#34Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 7:20pm

For me, with Nathan Lane, especially when doing comedy, what you see is what you get. I feel his comedy is kind of one note. That's not exactly the best way to describe it, but maybe the closest I can get to at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I love him and think he is very talented, but I guess I want to see a Genie who is a bit more versatile. I know he obviously won't be able to be the same type of shape-shifter he was in the movie, but would still like to see somebody who is much more of an impressionist/impersonator in the role, somebody who can slip in and out of multiple personalities with ease. I may be wrong, but I haven't seen Lane in a role where he does that type of comedy.

socarrat
#35Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 7:51pm

I'm so excited about the Aladdin premiere!

AEA AGMA, your description reminds me of Chris Sieber. He'd make an awesome genie.

gypsy4
#36Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 8:20pm

I'm interested to see what songs are Involved it will be interesting to see if they restore Aladdin's Mother.

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#37Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 8:27pm

I just really don't think it would fit him. It would just be Nathan Lane up there in blue body paint. Nathan likes to play the character and I don't see him being one note in comedy, and definitley not in acting. He's an actor. Not a comedian. He's very funny and does well with comedy, but they need a comedian. Like Christopher Sieber or even Kevin Pollak.

Now, Nathan CAN do impressions. Listen to him sing "The Late, Late Show" from Do-Re-Mi. Amazing performance.

Also, Nathan Lane will be busy starring with Brian Dennehy in The Iceman Cometh in Chicago.

Annas_Priest Profile Photo
Annas_Priest
#38Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 8:32pm

Russell Brand as the Genie pleaseeeeeeeeeeee

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#39Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 9:06pm

Do I hear the the slow clanking noise, of a behemoth corporate organisation?

henryt
#40Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/8/11 at 11:31pm

I don't think that this can be compared to the theme park show as much as it has. Disney Theatrical Group and Walt Disney Creative Entertainment are very much separate. Other than the inherent similarities which come from being on based on the same source material, it is impossible to predict how alike the two versions will be.

brettystar Profile Photo
brettystar
#41Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/9/11 at 12:42am

I also agree with Nathan Lane being a good choice for the Genie.

'Downtown Elaiggghhhy?'

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#42Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/9/11 at 12:50am

I say a big fat NO for Kyle D. M. as Aladdin.

I really hope they see some talented Latin people for these roles... and if some Middle Eastern people audition, BETTER!

and to finish adding my 2 cents, Nathan Lane would be amazing in this role!! except Idk how I feel about blue body paint. . . what do yall think? Updated On: 1/9/11 at 12:50 AM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#43Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/9/11 at 1:02am

Ramin Karimloo for Aladdin.

broadwayboy101
#44Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/9/11 at 12:26pm

I would think they'd try to go for a more "movie star" name than Lane.

Brick
Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#46Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/9/11 at 12:41pm

How totally unexciting.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#47Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/9/11 at 12:58pm

"I would think they'd try to go for a more "movie star" name than Lane."

They don't need to. The title is the movie star name. Disney doesn't need A-listers to sell tickets, and they've never used them before.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#48Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/9/11 at 2:10pm

^That is true. Also, on Broadway, Lane IS a huge name. He isn't in film (unfortunately), but he can bring in people on Broadway. There's a reason The Addams Family is still running. Although, I enjoyed it, I really think it was only for Nathan Lane, even if the rest of the cast gave good performances. He has this gift where he KNOWS how to find a laugh in any line.

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#49Disney's ALADDIN to premiere at Seattle's 5th Ave. Theatre this summer
Posted: 1/9/11 at 5:32pm

the development of this from a theme park show to a full length has been ongoing, and workshop/readings have been quietly happening. Disney scuttlebutt (see another threat here i posted on it) has a "name" director attached, but we can pretty sure it is not the Cali theme park one, Ms. Zambello. i for one would like to see what they do with it. AND in terms of "name" casting let's not forget AIDA and one name they "RENT"ed for that, in addition to pop music names in and out of the title role. Sometimes the exception proves the rule.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

Videos