pixeltracker

Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?- Page 2

Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#25Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 10:17am

It will win every Tony Award possible, including a new one: Best Musical That Should Have Won Best Musical The First Time (which is different from Best Revival of a Musical, which it will also win.) And Jan and Bernadette will tie and both go home with a trophy in their respective bags.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#26Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 10:25am

Saw this in DC on the last night...

No you didn't. The show closed last week.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#27Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 10:26am

The post says "on the last night," meaning closing night, not last night.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#28Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?

adamgreer- The poster you are replying to said "on the last night", as in the last night of the run, not "last night."

Edit: AC126748 beat me to it! Updated On: 7/2/11 at 10:26 AM

wickedfan11 Profile Photo
wickedfan11
#29Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?

Updated On: 7/2/11 at 10:26 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#30Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 10:29am

Oops! That's what I get for not reading carefully.

Apologies.

Simon4
#31Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 11:25am

I can tell you who won't (or at least shouldn't) be nominated: Eric Schaeffer and Warren Carlyle.

Musicaldudepeter
#32Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 1:07pm

Bernadette will take home her long awaited third Tony for this production. Jan will most likely be nominated and might be bumped down to Featured and win.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#33Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 1:15pm

Why would Jan be bumped down to featured? It's like people speculating that she might be billed under the title for Broadway. It makes no sense. Do people on this board really think Jan Maxwell has a vested interest in trying to secure Bernadette Peters another Tony?

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#34Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 4:39pm

I think it has a strong shot at best revival.
If for no other reason than I don't think Godspell or On A Clear Day are going to be very good.

....but the world goes 'round

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#35Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 4:42pm

I don't understand why so many people are discounting Elena Roger and Evita. She was very well-received in London and is likely to be a strong contender for the Tony.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#36Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 4:49pm

The only thing I hope for is that Lucy and Jessie will be replaced with Ah, But Underneath once they hit Broadway.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Musicaldudepeter
#37Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 5:09pm

I have no doubt that Evita will get like a zillion Tony nominations, for Roger, Ricky Martin, and basically everything else. Roger has a good shot at that Tony definitely. It'll be interesting though if she's up against Peters...What a competition!

Also I simply mean that Maxwell might be bumped down to Featured so that both Peters and herself can win Tonys for their performances! :)

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#38Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 5:16pm

But again - why? Jan Maxwell is above the title, so the producers would have to petition her as leading. Why would she agree to that? It's not like just being nominated as featured is enough to get here the award - there will ostensibly be three other women equally likely to put it in their respective bags.

But, as others have said, it seems a little presumptuous to assume that anyone ( especially Peters) has it wrapped up nearly a year from the actual awards.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#39Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 5:31pm

There's also the fact that Peters isn't nearly as good in the show as Jan Maxwell is.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#40Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 5:37pm

Judging from the closing performance audio, It seems Peters took some time to settle into the role. Some of her line readings are drastically different from what I had experienced during two early previews. All for the better.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#41Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 6:00pm

There's also the fact that Peters isn't nearly as good in the show as Jan Maxwell is

Well, that goes without saying, at least as far as I'm concerned. I was just pointing to the illogicality of the whole "Jan should be featured so Bernadette can win" argument. But I agree with you. Judging from the performance I saw, if I HAD to award one of the actresses a "Best" trophy, it would have been Maxwell without question. I didn't think Peters was horrible, just not right for the role, mostly.

I think ljay's probably right about her settling in to the role, though, and I've heard from friends who saw it more than once that Peters seems to have given different performances at different shows.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#41Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 6:00pm

There's also the fact that Peters isn't nearly as good in the show as Jan Maxwell is

Well, that goes without saying, at least as far as I'm concerned. I was just pointing to the illogicality of the whole "Jan should be featured so Bernadette can win" argument. But I agree with you. Judging from the performance I saw, if I HAD to award one of the actresses a "Best" trophy, it would have been Maxwell without question. I didn't think Peters was horrible, just not right for the role, mostly.

I think ljay's probably right about her settling in to the role, though, and I've heard from friends who saw it more than once that Peters seems to have given different performances at different shows.

justoldbill Profile Photo
justoldbill
#43Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 6:16pm

Anything is possible. Remember, Gene Nelson's Tony nomination for FOLLIES was as a FEATURED actor, and his name was above the title, too. Anyway, after giving Marian Seldes a life-time achievement award OFF camera BEFORE the prime-time telecast a couple of years ago, can the Tonys really be taken seriously anymore?

Well-well-well-what-do-you-think-of-that-I-have-nothing-here-to-pay-my-train-fare-with-only-large-bills-fives-and-sevens....

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#44Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 6:27pm

Sure, anything is possible, but Jan Maxwell still isn't going to be nominated in the featured category.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#45Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 6:41pm

This production may be centered around Peters/Sally, but Phyllis is still a lead role. It's not going to happen. There's a slim chance Buddy might be considered featured again, but I bet he's going to be considered lead this time around. Similar to how Maria in the West Side Story revival was finally considered a lead.

AEA AGMA SM
#46Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 7:02pm

And remember, just because the producers may petition to have a role/actor reconsidered for a different category it does not mean that the nominating committee will actually honor that petition. If Jan Maxwell's name is over the title (and there is no reason it should not be unless nobody's name is over the title) it would take one hell of an argument to convince the committee that the role of Phyllis is a "featured" role

Musicaldudepeter
#47Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 7:05pm

I know this is an age old argument on this site, but really so many leading roles have been named 'featured' in the Tonys over the years: Sarah Brown in the original Guys & Dolls; The King of Siam in the original King & I...Alfie Doolittle which is obviously a featured part was named leading actor for George Rose

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#48Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 7:19pm

I could be wrong, but I believe that those instances happened when billing alone dictated the category, and producers really had no say in whether an actor ought to be Leading or Featured.

Phyllis is a leading role, Maxwell is billed above the title. I have to agree with PRS that it seems unlikely Maxwell has a vested interest in Peters winning a third Tony and would agree to be considered featured.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#49Will FOLLIES be nominated/win any Tonys for 2012?
Posted: 7/2/11 at 11:34pm

I've heard from friends who saw it more than once that Peters seems to have given different performances at different shows.

Funny, isn't it? That's what her detractors always say about Patti LuPone.

Videos