pixeltracker

The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY- Page 2

The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY

Little-Lotte Profile Photo
Little-Lotte
#25The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 3:26pm

As many have said this is an OUTDOOR summer stock theater. There's only so much they can do as far as sets, costumes could be a bit better but they don't exactly have Disney budget either. I do feel though that their Sebastian costume is a big improvement over the Broadway version, the eyeballs on the latter really ruined it. Except for the stupid skirts, I felt that the Braodway mermaid costumes were beautiful. All they needed was black tights (and black heelies) and with the right lighting the effect would have been exactly what they were going for with the tails.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#26The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 3:30pm

Taz, I cant see most places going minimalist or darker. This is considered family fare and will easily make money if you cater to families. Families don't like minimal or dark. Even if sets are cheap, people want color. Even if costumes are cheap or tacky, people want to see costumes.

I think with Murin and Vogt it's got a lot going for it.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Flaunt It
#27The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 3:47pm

So is LITTLE MERMAID the next FOLLIES.. a show that just sucked and shouldn't have... and all future productions will just suck more or in different ways??

massofmen
#28The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 3:55pm

its the little mermaid!!!!! who cares!!!!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#29The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 5:17pm

What the hell is Triton wearing in that pic?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

#30The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 7:54pm

Flunt It, them's fighting words saying Follies "just sucked" in its original production...

I dunno. Mermaid at least has a pretty great original film. I like most of the new music a lot, but it does seem near impossible to conceived on stage well--still this production doesn't even look like they're trying.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#31The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/9/11 at 1:54pm

From the preliminary set design diagrams I have seen, their upcoming production of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers should have a good set. They are really incorporating the outdoor elements they already have as an outdoor theatre.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#32The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/9/11 at 3:01pm

It's not so much that the sets are bad, but that they so clearly tried to copy so many elements of the Broadway production... but made it worse.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#33The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/9/11 at 3:56pm

I'm trying to find a way to phrase this so that doesn't sound perverted. Does the costume designer at the MUNY have some issue with skin? Ariel's signature look in the film, and Broadway incarnation was the purple seashell bra, but here she is practically wearing a one piece costume. See also the Legally Blonde "bunny suit" with the loose flesh tone filler up to the neck.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#34The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/9/11 at 4:54pm

Am i the only one who thinks the Triton looks like a Wal-Mart brand shovel? LOL but Seriously.

Darreyl with an L!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#35The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/9/11 at 6:38pm

According to the song list in the MUNY program it looks like the licensed version of the show has been substantially revised. Mostly in the first act. Ariel's "World Above" is gone as well as "Human Stuff," and some of the other songs now play in a different order than they were on Broadway.

Act One
"Fathoms Below"
"Daughters of Triton"
"Part of Your World"
"Storm at Sea"
"Part of Your World" (reprise)
"I Want the Good Times Back"
"She’s in Love"
"Her Voice"
"The World Above"
"Under the Sea"
"Sweet Child"