#1The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/6/11 at 2:01am

Sneak Peek at costumes!
Sneak Peek!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/6/11 at 2:28am

Can't wait to see what the set looks like for this...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

bwayphreak234
#2The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/7/11 at 6:53pm

Well the sets and costumes are... interesting. Flounder's costume is still terrible.

camncal
#3The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/7/11 at 7:08pm

Who on Earth put together the team behind this production? It's 10000000 times worse than the Broadway one. It looks like something you'll see at a fair.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/7/11 at 7:20pm

Well, it's a stylistic improvement over the Tuacahn Center for the Arts costumes which looked more like Disney theme park costumes than actual theatre costumes, but they're still not any more appealing than the costumes for the Broadway production.

NeoNormal Profile Photo
NeoNormal
#5The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/7/11 at 8:18pm

Word is that they had to re-build the set a day before opening due to previous malfunctions. I don't have a link but I have good word from a friend of a friend.

Oh, well its The Muny so what can you do?

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#6The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/7/11 at 8:39pm

wow, speechless, I dont know much about them, is that like an amateur company or something? Looks very school like to me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

bwayphreak234
#7The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/7/11 at 8:41pm

Ursula's costume is atrocious.

camncal
#8The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/7/11 at 8:49pm

they look like they are wearing pinatas.

Mattbrain
#9The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/7/11 at 9:16pm

Dreadful...I'm sorry but compared to this, the Broadway production looked MUCH nicer!

Shalalalalala ay yi yi.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Updated On: 7/7/11 at 09:16 PM

camncal
#10The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/7/11 at 9:42pm

the broadway production looks like a masterpiece compare to this.

bwayphreak234
#11The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/7/11 at 9:43pm

At least the Broadway production had some pretty pieces of scenery. And Eric's drowning and Ariel's transformation were awesome.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#12The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/7/11 at 9:51pm

The MUNY, for all it has going for it, is still Summer Stock where the sets and costumes are built in just a week or two. It's a gigantic outdoor stage with absolutely no fly space. The place seat 12,000 (yes, I did place the comma correctly) so the sets are often exaggerated in order to read. If you check out their videos on YouTube, there is a good one of them painting a backdrop for their recent production of Kiss Me, Kate.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/7/11 at 9:52pm

Yeah I don't remember any of the "cool" parts of the Broadway version. It was pretty awful, but this looks dreadful. Just really cartoony and amateur. Ursula's costume looks
way too big for him.

Brick
#14The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/7/11 at 10:37pm

There are some shows that seem to inspire brilliant designs from theatres of all sizes and budgets. And LITTLE MERMAID is quickly proving to be the exact opposite.

bwayphreak234
#15The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 12:04am

According to some comments on their Facebook page it was raining during tonight's performance.

bwayphreak234
#16The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 2:28am

Sorry to double post... Just found this video that has some footage of the show as well as an interview with some workers at the MUNY. The show definetely looks a lot better from a distance, and the set does not look as tacky. You can tell these sets are made to be seen as a whole and from a distance, not just close ups of sections (which is what they show in the production photos).
VIDEO

candydog2
#17The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 8:48am

Yeah the costumes certainly are terrible, from the waist up, Ursula looks great, but the tentacles? Still, a man in drag is a step in the right direction for the character in my opinion though.

The mermaid costumes aren't much, and the "tails" they had on broadway were much nicer, if only they hadn't had those skirts under them, black or blue tighs would have been much nicer.

Anyway, it is basically large scale summer stock so on the whole it looks ok. It's the performances that count at these kind of things really.

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#18The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 9:36am

Looks like a pathetic production.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#19The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 9:50am

I saw the Broadway production, and loved it, but I thought it too looked cheap. Maybe there is no way to "do" this show without it appearing cheap.

Aurelia2
#20The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 1:03pm

Isn't it kind of baffling that no production of this looks breathtakingly beautiful considering the environment of the show and the amazing source? Somebody's gotta have the imagination to make it amazing!

Aurelia2
#21The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 1:10pm

That said, maybe the show doesn't lend itself to the style that I'm thinking of. For some reason, the show is cartoonier than the cartoon. I think it was a mistake to flesh out the supporting characters by giving them whole songs of their own because the thrust of the story was lost in the muddle. If Ariel had been given another obstacle of some kind they could have fleshed out the main story instead of losing it to the cutesy characters.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#22The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 1:46pm

Not that Im a fan of the production after seeing the photos, but holy smokes, I'd love to see what some of you people would do with limited time and limited money. The painted sets look fine from far away and I imagine people are there to hear the songs from the movie.

The Little Mermaid is painted into a corner artistically. Whatever choices are made, someone is gonna bitch and think they could do a lot better. Go for it-especially with limited budget. I get people being pissed with the Broadway team who had gads of Disney money and pissed it away, but complaining about the MUNY-oh, please.

This is actually a show that I think would work great for high schools, community theatres and places with limited budgets.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#23The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 1:58pm

Every production goes for the garish cartoon feel and every production looks tacky and ugly.

I would love to see someone try something minimalist (but not with actors playing instruments, Mr. Doyle) and darker. The costumes should be more suggestive and less literal.

A bunch of unwieldy and lifeless tentacles hanging off a costume will never look good.

....but the world goes 'round

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#24The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY
Posted: 7/8/11 at 3:08pm

The Little Mermaid at THE MUNY

This is the last thing you are leaving the audince with?

The hands over the boobs is not very Disney-like...

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2