pixeltracker

THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting- Page 2

THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#25THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:07pm

Tyler Perry and Sherri Shepherd.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#26THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:13pm

K-Fed and Tyra Banks?

Jordan Catalano
#27THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:20pm

Vin Diesel and Whoppi Goldberg?

PiraguaGuy2
#28THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/5/11 at 12:21pm

Eddie Murphy and Eddie Murphy in a wig and fat suit, Norbit-style.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

TheHappyPhantom
#29THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/5/11 at 1:37pm

"its appeal to the African American demographic..." wow. Cause God knows I only see shows if the cast members look like me. I hate crap like that. This is the story of a great American. Period.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#30THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/5/11 at 1:45pm

Tracy Morgan and Gabourey Sidibe?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

TimesSquared Profile Photo
TimesSquared
#31THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/5/11 at 1:50pm

George Hamilton and Snookie

Blactor
#32THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/5/11 at 3:35pm

What a sad, sad thread this is--only serves to highlight the dearth of bankable black male actors, which is definitely not due to lack of talent.

Jackson and Bassett are far too old to be playing these roles anyway--MLK died before reaching 40 (Jackson is nearing 70), and Bassett's character is supposed to be in her 20's. Suggesting people like Denzel and James Earl Jones is ludicrous--both men are far too old.

I think the best choice would be JEFFREY WRIGHT if they were to recast--he's around the right age and has the chops to pull it off (not to mention he's played MLK on film before).

Another interesting choice would be British actor CHIWETEL EJIOFOR, who is only a few years younger than King was when he died.

I'd pay to see either of these actors tackle this role with the expertise and vigor that each brings to their work.

As far as Bassett's role, there are TONS of actresses that are the CORRECT age that could do this role (Anika Noni Rose, while an interesting choice, is, again, too old)...but very few of them have marquee value. Producers would probably just try to get Beyonce or Rihanna anyway--acting talent be damned.

EDIT: JOHN EARL JELKS, who is lesser-known but a great actor, would be an interesting choice for King, as would HARRY LENNOX. Both actors did great work in August Wilson's "Radio Golf". Again, both actors are near the correct age.
Updated On: 11/5/11 at 03:35 PM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#33THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/5/11 at 3:38pm

Mr. Jackson is 61--too old to play King, for sure, but hardly "nearing 70." By that standard, Nick Jonas is nearing thirty. Age aside, neither Jackson, nor Wright, nor Ejiofor looks anything like Dr. King, so just suspend your disbelief a little more.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 11/5/11 at 03:38 PM

Blactor
#34THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/5/11 at 3:40pm

^^^I overshot his age...but my point still stands :)

Also, none of the actors I suggest (including Lennox or Jelks) looks like King. I don't think the actors really need to resemble King as long as they capture his essence.

And as I've said before, Wright has played King on film before, so SOMEbody thinks there's a resemblance.

All I was saying is that Jackson--and other proposals such as JE Jones and D. Washington--is too old.

Updated On: 11/5/11 at 03:40 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#35THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/5/11 at 3:56pm

Actual age has NOTHING to do with whether they should be cast or not as long as they look the part.

James Earl Jones is a ridiculous suggestion (intentionally). I'm not sure why you took that as serious.

But Anika Noni Rose? She is totally believable as a person in their 20's.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#37THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/5/11 at 8:50pm

I guess color-blind casting is out of the question?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#40THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/5/11 at 10:32pm

This thread is racist.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Jordan Catalano
#41THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/6/11 at 12:19am

Carl and Laura Winslow?
Updated On: 11/6/11 at 12:19 AM

Jordan Catalano
#42THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/6/11 at 1:56am

Oprah and Stedman?

Jordan Catalano
#43THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/6/11 at 1:57am

Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon?

Jordan Catalano
#44THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/6/11 at 1:02am

Dr. Dre and Pam Grier?

Jordan Catalano
#45THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/6/11 at 1:08am

Michael Winslow and Marion Ramsey?

Jordan Catalano
#46THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/6/11 at 1:12am

Herman Cain and Malia Obama?

Jordan Catalano
#47THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/6/11 at 1:18am

Marlon Wayans and CCH Pounder?

Jordan Catalano
#48THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/6/11 at 1:21am

50 Cent and Judge Mablean Ephriam?

Jordan Catalano
#49THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/6/11 at 1:24am

Andre Leon Talley and Miss J?

Jordan Catalano
#50THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/6/11 at 1:32am

Carl Weathers and Bunifa Latifah Halifah Sharifa Jackson?

Donthatecongratulate Profile Photo
Donthatecongratulate
#51THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/6/11 at 6:17am

Jordan! Take a Ritalin! ,-)

Blactor you're absolutely right. Many casting choices would have been much better and probably garnered better reviews.
As far as Rose, she's definitely too old as is Bassett. I think Journee Smollet would have killed this role. And Jeffrey Wright has acting chops like no other and has already convincingly played King.
This was nothing but a moneymaking venture, unconcerned with integrity.

But just for fun, Shaquille O'Neal & Hoopz!

"Don't f*** a baby. I'll get rid of your AIDS. If you f*** this frog."

Jordan Catalano
#52THE MOUNTAINTOP Considering Recasting
Posted: 11/6/11 at 8:11am

Yaphet Kotto and RuPaul?

Videos