pixeltracker

First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview- Page 2

First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#25First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview
Posted: 2/16/12 at 9:34am

In SALESMAN, the charcters' ages are mentioned at least half a dozen times each, and with the angle to imply their life failure and/or uselessness, so I think it could be potentially jarring to have actors playing the roles who appear years younger.

iluvtheatertrash
#26First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview
Posted: 2/16/12 at 9:41am

It's VERY jarring. The first time Linda says that Willy is 63, they breeze past it so quickly it seems intentional. Almost all of the ages seem to be mentioned as if they are inconsequential, which seems more like a blatant choice to try and cover-up the fact that they are all far too young for the roles.

I would rather see a 35 year old man play a 10 year old Happy or Biff. There's a level of patheticness there that stings more. A 25 year old man not being able to support his ailing father is not quite as disappointing as a 35 year old.

I was thinking of that film, too, growl. And wondered if it inspired this revival in the first place.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview
Posted: 2/16/12 at 9:48am

I do want to see this but I hate Hoffman so so so so so so so so so so much. I really don't understand his casting in this at all.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#28First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview
Posted: 2/16/12 at 9:56am

And yet another wild divergence, Jordan! I'd say that, next to maybe Daniel Day-Lewis, Philip Seymour Hoffman is the finest actor of his generation and easily one of the finest actors working regularly in American movies today.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview
Posted: 2/16/12 at 9:57am

Oh, Growl. You made a funny!

Michael Bennett
#30First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview
Posted: 2/16/12 at 9:57am

Which of course isn't necessarily to say he is one of the finest stage actors working in American theatre today.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#31First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview
Posted: 2/16/12 at 10:06am

Hoffman is more ham than a HoneyBaked factory. After The Seagull and Long Day's Journey I'm sure not going to be trapped again, watching him do his posturing and shouting tricks.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#32First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview
Posted: 2/16/12 at 10:08am

Oh, of course not! But given that he's widely regarded as one of our best working film actors (I'd even say that's a majority opinion, not just not a minority opinion), it surprises me that anyone would be surprised by his casting in this, even if they don't care for him themselves.

I think Kirsten Dunst, 9 times out of 10, is boring as sh!t, but I understand why she works. People like her. I don't, but lots of people do.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Michael Bennett
#33First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview
Posted: 2/16/12 at 10:19am

Not to take anything away from this production or the topic at hand, for any of you that might not have seen it, I really recommend tracking down the last revival of DEATH OF A SALESMAN that was taped for Showtime. It was a nearly definitive production and captures the breathtaking (Tony Award winning performances) of Brian Dennehy and Elizabeth Franz.
DEATH OF A SALESMAN 1999 revival

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#34First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview
Posted: 2/16/12 at 10:58am

It's an odd decision, but a deliberate one, and I think it completely works. What I saw last night was ready to open, and I thought Hoffman, Garfield, and especially Emond, were all terrific.

I don't know how far back you were sitting, iluvtheatertrash, but I saw plenty of actual tears coming from Garfield. And I also don't know what weird baggage you're bringing to the show with this "emaciated twink" talk, but I think - again - it's a very deliberate choice to have him be the scrawny, conflicted, wildly-overestimated-in-his-father's-eyes son next to Finn Witrock's buff, womanizing Happy. The acting decisions of both of them seem to bear that out.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#35First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview
Posted: 2/16/12 at 11:31am

"On top of it all he and Happy are doing very heavy Brooklyn accents while their parents are not."

Like Cher in Moonstruck?

Amy Archer
#36First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview
Posted: 2/16/12 at 11:50am

I was also there last night and think it's in mostly excellent shape. The production and performances will no doubt benefit from the preview period, but for me, it was delivering in all of the spots where Salesman usually gets to me. For those who call Philip Seymour Hoffman a screamer, I thought this production was less screamy than the Dennehy production (which I also liked a lot).

Regardless of Hoffman's actual age, I felt him make the transitions from 60-ish Willy to 40-ish Willy effortlessly, and the tears began for me with his scene with Howard and the tape recorder, or possibly the "What's the secret?" scene with Bernard, when he just seems to crumble in front of you. Really devastating work.

Emond is as excellent as I expected - and goes in a very different direction than Liz Franz did. It's a quieter, more vulnerable approach that really pulled me in. When she turns steely with the sons, it shocks. She's really one of our most under-appreciated NY stage actresses.

Garfield builds his performance to the hotel scene and as such, I think is playing mostly the character's resentment of his father as his driving force, less the confused, lost young man as I've seen in other productions and more that he feels completely betrayed by his father's actions. I actually loved that he silently witnesses his father's mad scene in the garden and Willy's "conversation" with Ben about him. I felt it drives the "dime a dozen" scene that follows, when Biff tries to expose the truth to his father. While I didn't feel his performance was quite at 100% yet, I didn't find him miscast or not up to the task at hand.

Finn Wittrock, Fran Kranz, Molly Price, John Glover and especially Bill Camp were all first rate, I feel. The production felt very well cast to me, down to the minor roles.

And a word for that set - I really admired the design of the Dennehy/Robert Falls production and the way it broke free from traditional stagings of Salesman, but the Mielziner set here coupled with Brian MacDevitt's lighting just makes the transitions of the past-present/reality-fantasy scenes happen instantaneously, with no turntables necessary. It's a marvel and you understand why it was revolutionary in 1949 and in some ways, clarifies the piece, as the scenes are mostly playing out in Willy's head in the house during his final days. It makes sense for it all to spring forth from the surroundings of the house itself.

I think as it stands after its second performance, it's already an accomplished Salesman and I think it will be even more rewarding as it settles in further. For those on the fence, I'd say go.

Updated On: 2/16/12 at 11:50 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#37First (Or is it second?) Death of a Salesman Preview
Posted: 2/16/12 at 12:17pm

I agree the lighting and set work beautifully.

It just felt like a lot of shtick from some of the cast for me. I have a feeling opinions on this production are going to continue to be very divided. It's interesting how radically different a lot of thoughts have been.

I have never seen a Salesman that left me so emotionally cold at the end. I just didn't have the cathartic experience I normally have.

AGermano
#38How's the rush so far?
Posted: 2/18/12 at 10:41pm

Has anyone tried the under-30 rush yet? Where are the seats and how are the crowds? Any advice on good time to get there?

FosseBoi
#39How's the rush so far?
Posted: 2/19/12 at 1:56am

AGermano, I got there about 10:30 on Friday for the rush tickets and got house left box, seat C 4. To clarify, my seat was the one closer to the wall in the last row of the box. There were two scenes in act two that were completely obstructed(restaurant scene and the one with Willy and Bernard in the office) but besides that it was a great seat.

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
#40 .
Posted: 2/19/12 at 2:24am

Updated On: 2/20/12 at 02:24 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#41 .
Posted: 2/20/12 at 11:44pm

Has no one else gone? Was looking forward to discussing this more and hearing other opinions!

I might go back after opening. I love this play so, and I really do wish them well with it. Curious to see how it is growing?

Codeman109
#42 .
Posted: 2/21/12 at 9:57am

Saw the show last night and thought it was brilliant. I've never seen a production of Salesman done but read the script long ago in high school. Having never seen Hoffman on stage before, I thought he delivered an amazing performance of such a tragic character. I feel it's his Tony award to lose. I agree that the ages of Biff and Happy feel off as Happy does seem to be the older brother (in the beginning of Act 1 at least) and I always felt he was meant to be a smaller guy. I loved John Glover as Ben. The lighting and scenic design was brilliant, I was able to catch the bed trick, very cool! The audience was absolutely silent walking out of the theater afterwards

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#43 .
Posted: 2/21/12 at 11:43am

From the original production of Merrily, to whether Vera Charles tried to be Peg o' my Heart when she was Lady Macbeth, to Bernadette in just about anything in the last quarter century, to Vanessa as Cleopatra, to Benanti as Louise, to Barbra as Mama Rose, to the Violet Weston, Blanche Dubois, and Carlotta Campion, Shakespeare's Juliet and Coward's Amanda dialectics, to Hoffman and Emond as the Lomans, to the last revival of Blithe Spirit, to can Angela still hope for one more great role on stage? on film? To just when the Glee kids might graduate...

It seems we spend half our youths, 2/3 of our middle age, and 3/4 of our dotages discussing whether actors are aged out for roles; all the sillier given that in the case of their being potentially too young, one would think this might simply be resolved by make up and.... acting.

Life just might be too short for this!

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#44 .
Posted: 2/24/12 at 11:34pm

I rarely post anymore, but even I had to stop and say how annoyed I was by Andrew Garfield. His acting was fine, but he is simply too young. I'd never heard of him, but looking at his bio in the program told me the story - he's a film star who can sell a few extra tickets (to teenage girls who will not appreciate or understand the play).

When I first watched the scene unfold with Biff and Happy, I presumed the one was playing the other. When I first realized who was playing which role (Happy calls Biff by his name) I, honest to God, thought it was a line flub.

It might even work if the actor playing Happy wasn't so mature and buff-looking, but he is. He is much more suited for Biff. But, they had to get Garfield's name over the marquee, so...

I hate this kind of thing. When you're watching a production of a play and something like this is present in it, you can't help but remain fully aware that you're watching a scene in a play. It makes it harder to accept the fiction.

For the record, I thought everyone acted their heads off. Seymour Hoffman was impressive, refreshingly thoughtful and toned-down, and Emond was absolutely captivating and surely the standout.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

iluvtheatertrash
#45 .
Posted: 2/24/12 at 11:49pm

I need to go back. Very curious to see how it's changing... Anyone rush it lately? Still easy? 9:00 early enough?

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#46 .
Posted: 2/25/12 at 12:02am

Seeing the mat tomorrow. Very excited.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#47Death of a Salesman Previews
Posted: 2/25/12 at 12:27am

I didn't like it very much last night. The whole thing felt incredibly stilted. The entire time, and especially during Act 1, I felt as though I was watching a play. It was as though the actors were playing a troupe of actors putting on Death of a Salesman. I could see this being a directional choice, but it didn't feel that way. It just felt like sloppy direction. Hoffman was typical Hoffman. For anyone who watches the Very Mary Kate web series, the impression of Hoffman on there is SPOT ON. His entire opening scene was delivered in the typical monotone Hoffman "I am acting" voice. Garfield was fine if a bit young. I actually really didn't like Happy. AT ALL. I know some people on here said he was the best part. I strongly disagree.

I really hated the set and how it was designed to be so incredibly partial view from so many places in the house. Not smart.

The only positive thing I felt about the production was Linda Emond. Boy can she command a stage. Her Act 1 tirade against Biff and Happy had me on the edge of my seat. Otherwise, it was a rather bland evening.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#48Death of a Salesman Previews
Posted: 2/25/12 at 12:37am

Rudy- Since you hadn't heard of Garfield I guess you never saw The Social Network, in which he was wonderful. He might be a little young for the role, but he's a great actor, and hardly one to only sell tickets to a few teenage girls. Not to mention it's a bit condescending to assume teenage girls/his fans will neither appreciate nor understand the play anyway.

Is Garfield my ideal Biff? No. But I think he gave an accomplished performance, and the hotel scene in particular was effective. This isn't Hollywood stunt casting with no acting merit to back it up.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Amy Archer
#49Death of a Salesman Previews
Posted: 2/25/12 at 12:59am

>I really hated the set<

The Jo Mielziner set? Only one of the most famous, important, influential, revolutionary designs of 20th Century theatre? Well, bjh has spoken, so make of that opinion what you will.

Videos