pixeltracker

Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex- Page 2

Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#25Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/24/13 at 3:19pm

Billy Porter was strongly considered for The Witch in the ITW revival around ten years ago.

Having seen him in Kinky Boots, it's a blessing that didn't happen.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

#26Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/24/13 at 3:25pm

OK seriously DO YOU understand that Sally being pregnant and having an abortion are two serious, pivotal moments in the show? And don't you think trying to make Sally a man in drag might not undercut the power of the Emcee donning drag for the goosestep number?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#27Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/24/13 at 4:11pm

But putting a man in drag is so EDGY! It makes every show so much deeper and darker and modern and hip and unique and innovative and EDGY! Even the edges have edges! It's edgier than dice in a game of Dungeons and Dragons!

It's like when you add "The Musical" to dramatic or horror movie title to turn it into a satirical comedy. That automatically makes it HILARIOUS! And EDGY!

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Dave19
#28Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/24/13 at 4:47pm

I would love to see a man playing Ursula in the Little Mermaid.

There are many roles where gender doesn't matter. Teen Angel in Grease is one of them. Even Jennifer Holliday played that.

I also think there are a lot of productions, such as Peter Pan, where a woman plays the role of a boy.

#29Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/24/13 at 4:50pm

Divine was the inspiration for Ursula so I could see that.

nasty_khakis
#30Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/24/13 at 4:54pm

I want to say at some point they offered the role to Harvey Fierstein to replace on broadawy. Could be wrong though.

I know a man in drag played Ursula at the Muny last year. Just can't remember who.

christhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#32Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/24/13 at 7:17pm

Um, I'm edgy. I eat raw cookie dough.

PS - I would've liked to have seen Brian Charles Rooney play the witch. He makes a pretty lady and no transposition necessary.

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#33Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/25/13 at 9:03am

i dont know, reminds me too much of Tyler Perry

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................
Updated On: 1/25/13 at 09:03 AM

ghostlight2
#34Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/25/13 at 9:41am

"Divine was the inspiration for Ursula so I could see that."

Is that true, Joe, or are you joshing? I mean, I can see it (I mean that literally), but it just seems so unlikely.

AEA AGMA SM
#35Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/25/13 at 11:49am

It is true, ghostlight. Disney animators are great at finding inspiration for their characters, especially physical traits, from real-life sources. I have also heard that Joan Collins was also credited as having a hand in the inspiration, and if you watch the two close enough together you'll also find a good amount of inspiration drawn from Madame Medusa in The Rescuers. (It's also not uncommon for the animators to borrow from themselves and other animators. Look at Little John in Robin Hood, after all, he was just Baloo recolored brown.)

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#36Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/25/13 at 12:07pm

Robin Hood was constructed almost completely from recycled animations.

Nathan Lane as Mama Rose would be great, I think, no irony intended.

#37Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/25/13 at 4:46pm

Would I lie to you?
Ursula is simply Divine

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#38Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/25/13 at 5:01pm

I could see Nathan Lane rocking Madame Rose, too. Actually, he did a rather smashing "Worst Pies in London" for an Angela Lansbury tribute, too.

ghostlight2
#39Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/25/13 at 5:31pm

"Disney animators are great at finding inspiration for their characters, especially physical traits, from real-life sources."

I knew that, but you get my confusion concerning the dichotomy of the innocence of Disney, and the...Diviness of Divine, yes?

"Would I lie to you?"

Well...

...but seriously folks - I did not know that. Thank you.

taylor_kras
#40Casting actors in roles of the opposite sex
Posted: 1/26/13 at 3:30pm

I think Eponine should be played by a male. It makes sense why Marius never realizes the affection from his best friend and also why ValJean calls him "boy".

Videos