pixeltracker

REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014- Page 2

REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#25REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/24/13 at 11:55pm

"Not to dwell on the small details but I believe it was reported that the rights were originally going to expire in June of 2013, then with this most recent extension, Sprecher has the rights till January of 2014, with the opportunity to extend if need be to December of the same year. "

They have to have the funding in place by January 2014, with the production running by December '14. The original rights issue was extended through June, then VBW (a public/state-run theatre establishment from Vienna) made this change as I'm sure they realize no one will probably pick up the rights anyway (at least for New York).

VBW is interested in getting another production to Broadway - the last (& only?) was, of course, Dance of the Vampires (also written by Michael Kunze). The rest of their titles are largely Austrian topics unlikely for Broadway (Elisabeth - written by this team, and Rudolf - written by Frank Wildhorn & Jack Murphy).

Sierra will not rejoin - the writers/directors really wanted her, but she won't. Silverman is in Chicago for the fall, if I'm mistaken. Getting a theatre is going to be another issue when the time comes.

justincharacter Profile Photo
justincharacter
#26REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 12:09am

I'm just going to assume that Sierra will be heading over to Les Miserables. I would be a little interested in seeing a revival of Dance of the Vampires, but with a entirely different creative team and cast, and based on the succesful Vienna production (shade...). I bet Steinman would show up this time...

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#27REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 12:13am

Hate all you want, but I'm excited for this. I love the music. The title song is hauntingly beautiful. I haven't read any of the shadiness regarding the producers. I don't care about that.

PositivelyEmerald
#28REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 12:27am

^I just wish people give the show a fair chance, instead of writing it off an assuming it won't be good because of what they've heard instead of actually waiting to see it or listen to the music. Now granted, I'm sure that does not apply to everyone here. If you know the show and feel you don't like it you're totally entitled to your opinion. :)

Updated On: 7/25/13 at 12:27 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#29REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 12:40am

I mean, I've only ever heard the title song sung by Karen Mason at 54 Below, but I loved it. It was enough for me to want to see the show. That said, I do think this show needs an "it" factor to survive. I think having the flames be video is just a wuss-move. They need to pay for them to have real flames. It needs that to become that thing.

justincharacter
#30REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 12:56am

Didn't the Vienna production have "real" flames? What are you referring to? The Broadway production was going to go with projected flames?

PositivelyEmerald
#31REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 12:58am

^Where did you see that they were going to have video flames? On the staircase? Or do you mean projected on the scrim in front of the staircase as other productions have done?

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#32REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 7:41am

There will be real fire on the steps. The only set design change is that the staircase will not spiral in & out of the stage - it will still spin on the turntable, but it was something like an extra $2-$4 mil for the multi-level part.

They do drop a scrim, when the fire starts, but I believe this is fire code but you can still see the flames.

Visceral_Fella
#33REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 3:33pm

I'm not hating, I want this to happen. I love the movie. Part of my frustration comes from wanting to see it, but having no confidence in if I ever will.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#34REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 3:40pm

I would absolutely love the chance to see this.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

kooky
#35REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 4:06pm

I have seen this show in Vienna many times & it deserves to be seen here in the states.. IT is a BEAUTIFUL PRODUCTION .... TIME WILL TELL !

PositivelyEmerald
#36REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 4:22pm

^Susan Rigava Dumas was amazing in that show. Pia Douwes was just as good. If it weren't Karen I'd love to see Pia come and do it here. She has a perfect American/English and her vocals are stellar. Based on what she did in Stuggart, if even venture to say shed have a shot a tony nomination. Updated On: 7/25/13 at 04:22 PM

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#37REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 5:41pm

This won't work for the stage, commercially. Even if it was good artistically, this wouldn't sell. From what I've seen of it, my reaction is, "Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley... it was so boring I woke up to break the monotony." The plot is actually interesting, but only if you execute it differently from how Du Maurier or Hitchcock did it, which is an out-and-out snooze.

Re: Tanz der Vampire... don't rule out its return. I've been working on it since 2007. If anything comes of my efforts, you'll hear about it.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 7/25/13 at 05:41 PM

justincharacter
#38REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 7:47pm

^I have to ask, was Total Eclispe of the Heart in the Vienna and Germany productions?

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#39REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 9:56pm

Yes, it was. The lyrics, however, had a vastly different meaning in German. See for yourself.

Warning: Rather than try to read them side by side, scroll down far enough, and you get the translation in English under the German, divvied up by character.

A line-by-line translation

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 7/25/13 at 09:56 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#40REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 10:11pm

As I have posted before, a friend saw this in Vienna and came back raving about it. He brought the program back for me and it looks visually stunning. Have heard a bit of the music from that production and enjoyed it. I am not predicting anything about its Broadway run, I just want it to get here. If it bombs, it bombs but I never wish that on any show.

Just give the world Love.

justincharacter
#41REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 10:22pm

@gdelgi Wow, what a difference it is. I remember there was footage of Mandy singing it, and when she started, all you can hear were laughs coming from the audience. "No! Tonight! At the ball!" (break of laughter "giggle, giggle", "chuckle)

PositivelyEmerald
#42REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 10:50pm

In interested to hear the translations for this. I speak German relatively well and I'm just trying to figure out how some of it would work in English.

I'd also just like to say how much I love German musicals...mainly Rebecca, but I enjoyed Elisabeth and Marie Antoinette.
The last two seem like they would only work in Europe to me though. Anyone else have thoughts on that?

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#43REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 11:10pm

Here's Gloria Gaynor's cover of "Die Stärke einer Frau," which was released in 2006 as a single prior to the Viennese premiere. 99 cents at iTunes, and it's yours.

The English title is "The Power of a Woman in Love."

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

PTOPhan Profile Photo
PTOPhan
#44REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 11:11pm

I bought tickets to "Rebecca" for November 25, 2012, after the production was delayed from spring of 2012. With Hurricane Sandy having hit just as previews were about to start, the mishaps stopping the show from opening may have been a blessing in disguise.

Part of the reason I'm so anxious to see the show is that my writing teacher never stopped raving about the novel. I'm curious to see if the musical can keep up the suspense. I was also impressed with the title song.

The cast was going to be an old-home week for Phantom alums: Not only Sierra and, I think her fiancé (Tam Mutu), but John Cudia and Howard McGillin were going to be in the show. Ryan Silverman, from the replacement cast, is also a Phantom alum.

I'd love to see a musical mystery/thriller make it on Broadway. I hope Rebecca opens to rave reviews!

You alone can make my song take flight.

PTOPhan Profile Photo
PTOPhan
#45REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014

I bought tickets to "Rebecca" for November 25, 2012, after the production was delayed from spring of 2012. With Hurricane Sandy having hit just as previews were about to start, the mishaps stopping the show from opening may have been a blessing in disguise.

Part of the reason I'm so anxious to see the show is that my writing teacher never stopped raving about the novel. I'm curious to see if the musical can keep up the suspense. I was also impressed with the title song.

The cast was going to be an old-home week for Phantom alums: Not only Sierra and, I think her fiancé (Tam Mutu), but John Cudia and Howard McGillin were going to be in the show. Ryan Silverman, from the replacement cast, is also a Phantom alum.

I'd love to see a musical mystery/thriller make it on Broadway. I hope Rebecca opens to rave reviews!

You alone can make my song take flight.
Updated On: 7/25/13 at 11:11 PM

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#46REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014

Or, if you just want the lyrics...

...here they are.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

justincharacter
#47REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/25/13 at 11:37pm

About European musicals, I remember some wanted to see Mozart, l'opera rock take a transfer over to Broadway. I'm not familiar with the show or anything, but for the people are, do you think it would be succesful? ...was it even succesful in Europe?

g.d.e.l.g.i.
#48REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/26/13 at 8:45am

^ From what I gather, Mozart, l'opéra rock (different show from Kunze's Mozart!, btw) has a large fan following and great popularity within Europe, but the critical response was mixed.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#49REBECCA Looking at Broadway Bow in 2014
Posted: 7/26/13 at 8:32pm

Okay, it's a European import. But it's an original musical.

Shouldn't we all be rooting for it to be a huge hit?

Videos