pixeltracker

"Into The Woods" set to become highest grossing movie musical of all time!- Page 2

"Into The Woods" set to become highest grossing movie musical of all time!

Starship
#25It could!
Posted: 12/25/14 at 9:48pm

At the Cinemark here in Arizona, it was sold out all day. I'm going to wait until Tuesday to see it where all tickets are $5.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#26It could!
Posted: 12/28/14 at 1:38pm

So for those of you who know how to figure out these things? How does Into The Woods stack up box office wise to openings of other movie musicals in the last decade? Forbes is reporting a 47 million weekend for the film.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/12/28/box-office-unbroken-nabs-47m-into-the-woods-conjures-46m-over-christmas-weekend/ Updated On: 12/28/14 at 01:38 PM

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#27It could!
Posted: 12/28/14 at 3:48pm

We went Xmas Day to AMC Yorktown in Oak Brook, Illinois. The two evening shows were sold out - BUT, the theatre was a "dine-in" theatre with all reclining seats with tables and ability to call for food service. So, the auditoriums only had 130 seats. Tickets were about $11 per person, I think.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#28It could!
Posted: 12/28/14 at 3:52pm

According to BWW it's the highest opening holiday weekend Broadway musical,film of all time.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/INTO-THE-WOODS-Movie-Now-Largest-Opening-Weekend-for-a-Broadway-Musical-Film-20141228

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 12/28/14 at 03:52 PM

jo
#29It could!
Posted: 12/28/14 at 4:13pm

Not exactly comparable. BWW picked up the THR report. THR should have made a more precise comparison. It picked up only the last three days of the week for Les Mis, which opened on a Tuesday ( Christmas in 2012) and had racked up 5 days of screenings by Sunday. Opening day figures are usually the highest for opening week screenings and the first two days were left out.

Per Box Office Mojo --

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=lesmiserables2012.htm

By that first weekend, Les Mis had already grossed ( domestic only) $ 67 million.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#30It could!
Posted: 12/28/14 at 4:19pm

I think we will know more precisely by tomorrow.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#31It could!
Posted: 12/28/14 at 4:21pm

So, Jo--how do the first three days of Les Miz compare to the first three days of Into the Woods?

jo
#32It could!
Posted: 12/28/14 at 4:59pm

That would not be comparable either --

Les Mis opened on a Tuesday. Other than opening day which may not fall on a Friday, the strongest 3 days would be the Friday/Saturday/Sunday combination. ITW opened on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday basis.

Maybe the comparison would be more valid when the whole week's figures are out?

The comparison with Mamma Mia! is more valid because the movie also opened on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday weekend. It was counterprogramming though for the summer blockbusters.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=mammamia.htm

Updated On: 12/28/14 at 04:59 PM

FindingNamo
#33It could!
Posted: 12/28/14 at 5:44pm

Why compare at all? This thread was started as a joke of that very idea.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#34It could!
Posted: 12/28/14 at 10:45pm

"In its first weekend, "Into the Woods" has been seen by four times the amount of people than those who saw both Broadway runs combined."

--Playbill.com

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#35It could!
Posted: 12/28/14 at 10:47pm

@PalJoey, Have you seen the movie yet? If so, then what did you think of it?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#36It could!
Posted: 12/28/14 at 10:48pm

That's an interesting quote, PalJoey, and really puts the reach of Broadway in perspective.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#37It could!
Posted: 12/28/14 at 10:53pm

Of course when Mamma Mia! opened, ticket prices were cheaper, so adjust for that too ...

... and here we go again ...

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

binau Profile Photo
binau
#38It could!
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:07am

What is wrong with Broadwayworld, whose sloppy writing is now literally claiming "INTO THE WOODS earning the largest box office figures for any movie musical adapted from a Broadway show in history". You need to add a caveat somewhere!!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Craig-Zadan-Confirms-PIPPIN-Film-Up-Next-for-Him-and-Meron-20141229

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#39It could!
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:09am

Well at least PIPPIN has some well known producers behind it now.

Updated On: 12/29/14 at 01:09 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#40It could!
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:10am

^^^To be fair that article also states that 41-year-old Christian Borle should play the title role in PIPPIN...in a movie version! I don't think credibility is exactly the author's top priority.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#41It could!
Posted: 12/29/14 at 1:11am

Jesus, and I thought I was bad RE: pushing fantasy casting.

RooMcGoo Profile Photo
RooMcGoo
#42It could!
Posted: 12/29/14 at 2:11am

This is the best news! Onward and upward for the movie musical!
An Incomplete History of Into the Woods

http://roomcgoo.com/

Videos