pixeltracker

Best Gypsy Cast Recording?- Page 2

Best Gypsy Cast Recording?

The Josh Profile Photo
The Josh
#25Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/26/15 at 5:21pm

I'm partial to LuPone, but definitely don't skip Merman and Lansbury.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#26Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/26/15 at 5:36pm

Merman may be the original, but I don't find her acting to be very good.
Peters sounds a little too sweet, which also makes her somewhat terrifying.
Lansbury' s orchestra isn't great and she's not as strong a singer as the others.
Lupone screams her face off, which fits the character the best. She's extreme and brassy. Her recording also includes the beautiful Benanti.

Gothampc
#27Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/26/15 at 6:00pm

No love for Roz Russell I see.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#28Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/26/15 at 6:08pm

Wasn't she dubbed?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

jimmycurry01
#29Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/26/15 at 7:07pm

Yeah, Lisa Kirk dubbed her, but I think the soundtrack includes a couple of Roz's tracks on it.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#30Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/26/15 at 8:59pm

My favorite recording is the Merman recording, followed by Angela, LuPone, Bernadette and Tyne & Bette tying for last (although I enjoy each one in different ways). My problem with the LuPone CD is that the quality is so fuzzy in my HQ headphones ripped at 320 kbps. I don't like that it's not crisp and clear.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

VintageSnarker
#31Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/26/15 at 10:36pm

The Lupone one is the one I listen to when I've got one of the songs in my head. It sounds the best (just in terms of the production/recording quality) and I do like most of the vocals. I would put Merman after that. Then the movie version which I'm just very fond of despite it not being great. Then Bette Midler and finally Bernadette.

I haven't listened to the other versions though I may try Lansbury now that I looked and discovered that it's on Spotify. I'd love to get my hands on the newest one with Imelda Staunton.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#32Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 12:01am

Merman for sure. (I prefer the remaster, although recently on FB Thomas Z Shepherd--who handled the remaster--expressed regret that he did use different takes for 2, I believe, tracks when he did it--saying he should have just added them as bonuses.)

I listen to the Lansbury one nearly as much.

The only other one I'd recommend to a true Gypsy fan as a must have is the LuPone and the reason is almost entirely based on the appendix of cut songs at the end, which are presented (when possible,) in their original orchestrations (why don't more recordings of shows previously recorded do this? I know Papermill's Follies did...)

As for the others... I don't really play them much. I actually don't mind Bette in the DVD of the tv version, and it's my go-to version of Gypsy to watch over the original film (partly because it is so extremely faithful to the original libretto choreography and music,) but I would never play the cd.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#33Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 12:56am

Wow I'm listening to the Bernadette version on Spotify and absolutely loving it! I had actually never heard it before. The orchestra really is on fire.

That being said I still don't think I'd revisit too often. Too much Bernadette (same reason I hardly listen to the LuPone version - TOO MUCH PATTI).

Also I think whoever it was that mentioned the Lansbury orchestra finally hit the nail on the head why I hate that recording.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#34Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 4:47am

Yes, Lisa Kirk dubbed Russell on the soundtrack. Mr. Goldstone is mostly Roz and she has a few lines in the the first half of Rose's Turn, but the rest is Kirk. And it's great. The film was my introduction to the show and I love the soundtrack although I guess it shouldn't be anyone's first choice. It's still a more than fine supplemental recording, Kirk and that full film orchestra are great, a lush and faithful treatment of the score.

Updated On: 3/27/15 at 04:47 AM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#35Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 10:54am

Maybe this belongs in the unpopular opinions thread, but my favorite Gypsy recording (by far) and the one I listen to most often is Bernadette's. Even though she claims to be a little under the weather during the recording I think she makes it all work in her favor. The orchestra sounds the best and Tammy Blanchard does fine work too. Nothing gives me thrills like Bernadette's big numbers though.

I have a live audio of Lansbury that's a much better representation than the cast album where the orchestra isn't quite at its peak.

Patti and Merman both are worth owning.

Tyne sadly does not sound great on her recording- she apparently won't even sign the CD because she was so unhappy they made her record it while she was ill- but I have heard numerous people say she acted the crap out of the role and remains their favorite Rose.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#36Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 11:45am

Overall, my favorite is the Tyne Daly recording. Her voice really doesn't bother me as many of the others tend to oversing the character of Rose, which can work in the theatre, but is just a bit much for me on the recordings. I saw Patti in the initial version of the revival at Ravinia and she was sensational, but I think I only bothered to listen to the CD once. Lansbury probably gives the best recording of Rose, but the accents of much of the supporting cast are quite distracting and I don't always care for the musical direction. I enjoy listening to the OBC as a time capsule of a historically significant show, but Merman really grates my nerves.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

AEA AGMA SM
#37Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 2:12pm

Mister Matt, I saw Patti at Ravinia as well and greatly preferred that performance over both City Center and Broadway. I always attribute that to her being under the direction of Lonny Price as opposed to Arthur Laurents, who seemed to push her into monster bulldozer territory.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#38Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/27/15 at 11:59pm

I don't like Bernadette's acting lines on the recording (though I'm sure it worked on stage). She sounds like she's playing Rose drunk.

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#39Best Gypsy Cast Recording?
Posted: 3/28/15 at 12:11am

Lupone is the one on my Ipod. I attribute this not only to LuPone but to the fine work from the supporting cast, the splendid orchestra and (most important to my geek brain) the bonus tracks of cut songs.

Videos