LIVING ON LOVE Reviews

BosBroad
#25LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 9:11pm

I think Philly is talking about free media/press not advertising.  Fleming has been everywhere in the last three days.  TV, radio, print... she's been pushing hard.  I just don't see it saving the play, though, unfortunately.  

#26LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 9:13pm

Associated Press is Positive

Renee Fleming ... is a delight in the show ... able to lovingly goof on her refined world with an insider's grin.

It feels comforting, like an old black-and-white film ... Stick around after the curtain closes on this satisfying, sweet comedy and you'll find a cast that returns to mug, unable to help themselves.

Review: Renee Fleming Delightful in Madcap LIVING ON LOVE, by Mark Kennedy

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#27LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 9:13pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/ren-e-fleming-living-love-790230

The Hollywood Reporter: Mixed with RAVES for Fleming and Sills :)

"as far as solo turns go, it's impossible not to enjoy Fleming's. Hard as it is to believe this is the singer's first time in a play, it makes sense that someone who comes from a background in opera — where control and delivery are vital — would have such great timing. She's priceless as she contemplates her future, dropping her voice an octave on the dreaded word "mezzo," or wondering with a blithe lack of self-awareness, "How much longer can I play the young, tragic virgin? Ten, maybe twenty years?" Her performance is broad and campy, as the material dictates, but there's also a delightful airiness to it."

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY
Updated On: 4/20/15 at 09:13 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#28LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 9:14pm

It is a play that will undoubtedly be done regionally. 

But audiences in New York just don't care. New Yorkers don't even care.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BosBroad
#29LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 9:19pm

HogansHero - Is that a prediction or something more?

Phillypinto
#30LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 9:20pm

http://www.thewrap.com/living-on-love-theater-review-picking-up-opera-where-the-marx-brothers-left-it-off/

The Wrap: Pretty Positive. Loved Sills

"With all due respect to the diva of the hour, the real revelation of “Living on Love” is Sills, whose divo Vito enters the Broadway pantheon of great, inspired, and completely over the-top comic creations."

Phillypinto
#31LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 9:24pm

Variety: I don't really know Mixed to Positive?

http://variety.com/2015/legit/reviews/living-on-love-review-broadway-1201475759/

"Fleming’s fans should be thrilled to hear that their idol is a natural, completely at her ease in the most ridiculously farcical situations and so personable she confirms her reputation as “The People’s Diva.” She also partners well, joining Sills in those intimate moments when Diva and Maestro tone down the theatrics and, as confidantes, quietly discuss their valid concerns as aging superstars anticipating a time when they will become unloved and irrelevant."

Phillypinto
#32LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 9:28pm

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/theater/living-on-love-review-renee-fleming-makes-solid-debut-in-opera-comedy-1.10298553

Newsday:Mixed to positive

"Well-crafted broad triviality, an honorable debut by Renée Fleming."

Phillypinto
#33LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 9:28pm

They definitely have a lot of great pull quotes :)

indytallguy
#34LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 9:42pm

"http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/theater/living-on-love-review-renee-fleming-makes-solid-debut-in-opera-comedy-1.10298553

"Well-crafted broad triviality, an honorable debut by Renée Fleming."

"

I believe this is what the kids call "damning with faint praise."

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#35LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 9:48pm

"Hot cup of Ovaltine!" is my favorite pull quote for this one thus far.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

indytallguy
#36LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 9:56pm

WSJ and Teachout: Ouch

"Mr. DiPietro’s rewrite of “Peccadillo,” a 1985 play by Garson Kanin that never made it to New York, is a sentimental farce that might recall one of the lesser efforts of George S. Kaufman and Moss Hart were it not for one minor problem: It isn’t funny. Not even slightly so. Indeed, it’s so unfunny as to make the viewer despair of ever laughing again, much as a starving man might despair of ever eating again."

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#37LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 10:03pm

"http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/theater/living-on-love-review-renee-fleming-makes-solid-debut-in-opera-comedy-1.10298553
"Well-crafted broad triviality, an honorable debut by Renée Fleming.""

This is a good pull quote...how?

indytallguy
#38LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 10:10pm

"Frothy" seems to be the most commonly used word among the reviews.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#39LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 10:14pm

LIVING ON LOVE Reviews Brantley TIMES ~ PAN!

https://www.didhelikeit.com/shows/living-on-love-review.html

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 4/20/15 at 10:14 PM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#40LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 10:15pm

"idk littlebro, maybe they are trying to get people to come see the show now, and maybe they are well sold in June and July. A lot of her fans are from other countries. That can be something to consider. "

You idiot: opera fans in Europe and here, who can afford it, are doing the opera festival circuit (Aix, Salzburg, Munich, Glyndbourne, etc.)....not coming to ****ing NEW YORK in JULY.  But ya, as you've said before, you have a commanding knowledge of opera (so much more than I).  

Expect closing notices soon.  I generally hate saying such things, but that it'll prevent him from seeing it brings me a certain (sad) amount of joy.  

And and I have to apologize to myself....for feeding the troll.  

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#41LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 10:17pm

Brantley is a pan, tho at least the knives weren't out (much)

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#42LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 10:19pm

BosBroad-it's a prediction/educated guess. I thought it would read that way but I get how it might have seen like some kind of inside scoop. FWIW I doubt there could be better info, because I think the producers are sitting and waiting, hoping for some bump from the reviews and/or some nominations. They may get a slight one but the reason I said what I said is that they would basically need to double to be positioned to run through the Tonys, and even that would be shaky. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#43LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 10:19pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wpuld get a certain amount of joy from the show closing just so the pinto bean can't see it. 

Phillypinto
#44LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 10:32pm

Play Esq, you do know that people come all the way to NYC to see their fav opera singers at the met right? If someone is a fan of Renee, i can see people coming to see her.

Brantley's review isn't even really bad. It was the same as It Shoulda Been You; he's just seen it before. It didn't sound like he disliked it though.

I WILL see this show no matter what thank you very much. I hope it doesn't close early. Again, we don't know, maybe they are selling decently well for the summer 

Phillypinto
#45LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 10:38pm

http://nypost.com/2015/04/20/renee-fleming-and-douglas-sills-play-vain-divas-in-guilty-pleasure-living-on-love/

The show is Elisabeth Vincentelli's guilty pleasure :) Positive

"It’s all shamelessly silly, and it works: In Joe DiPietro’s play, based on Garson Kanin’s 1985 “Peccadillo,” broad jokes and shameless hamming make for a guilty pleasure.
Wisely, DiPietro and director Kathleen Marshall let their stars play to their strengths. Fleming lets out a few trills and, though a bit stiff at times, seems to relish the high jinks. And Sills — the former “Scarlet Pimpernel” star who looks like Steve Martin, tousled gray hair and all — is hilarious as the pompous, vain Vito."

I agree with her reviews the most. 

Phillypinto
#46LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 10:40pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/theater/2015/04/20/fleming-is-high-note-of-wafer-thin-living/25878527/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-lifetopstories

USA Today: Mixed with love for Fleming

"Fleming, in particular, plays her part with obvious relish, and reveals a real flair for screwball repartee. The soprano uses her earthy speaking voice to great effect — lowering it when Raquel is trying to reprimand or seduce, then offering higher, brighter tones to affect delight or indignation."

Updated On: 4/20/15 at 10:40 PM

indytallguy
#47LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 10:41pm

"Play Esq, you do know that people come all the way to NYC to see their fav opera singers at the met right? If someone is a fan of Renee, i can see people coming to see her."

You're right. People do make those trips ... typically to see favorite performers in significant roles ... and major productions, neither of which applies to Living on Love though.

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#48LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 10:47pm

Play Esq, you do know that people come all the way to NYC to see their fav opera singers at the met right? If someone is a fan of Renee, i can see people coming to see her.

(hits head)

why do I even engage?  Perhaps to show how little you know...but that's so utterly transparent, so then....

I digress. Pinto: opera is dead in New York over the summer.  There is one exception on a yearly basis, but even that doesn't draw European crowds (and I'm sure you have no clue where that is).  Renee wasn't bringing in crowds during her one opera at the Met this season: she's certainly not going to draw OPERA crowds IN THE SUMMER when the Met is dark.  

and ya Brantley's review was really bad....just ask the producers of It Should Have Been You.  

Updated On: 4/20/15 at 10:47 PM

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#49LIVING ON LOVE Reviews
Posted: 4/20/15 at 10:48pm

Quick revision, pintool!  Well played... 2.5 stars from USA TODAY not 3.5...  your speed impresses me...

Videos