pixeltracker

Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran Announce Outer Critics Circle Nominees Today- Page 2

Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran Announce Outer Critics Circle Nominees Today

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#25Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 12:12pm

There's nothing wrong with funny musicals. BYE BYE BIRIDE, ...FORUM, GUYS AND DOLLS. You name it. All worthy classics. All light entertainment. But they don't wink at an audience and let them know that they're watching a musical. They stay in their world, they make jokes that relate to their world. They're serious works-- despite being very silly and very funny. 

Lol? 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#26Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 12:16pm

There are even shows that DO wink at the audience and let them know they're watching a musical that do it very well (Urinetown, for instance). 

But, again, the best instances of those shows don't conflate referencing a musical with comedy. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#27Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 12:19pm

I think of all of those shows, URINETOWN does it best. 

Anyway, back to the matter at hand... 

MegInManhattan
#28Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 12:21pm

I hope this isn't an indication of what's to come in other awards for Honeymoon In Vegas. Say what you will about the show, but it at least deserves some love for the score and for Rob McClure. Hope they have SOME nominations in their future!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#29Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 12:25pm

I hope the score of HONEYMOON IN VEGAS isn't snubbed at the Tony Awards, either, but there seems to be a lot of affection for Sting and his work on THE LAST SHIP. If the first three nominees for Score turn out to be THE VISIT, FUN HOME and SOMETHING ROTTEN!, I think they'll throw THE LAST SHIP a bone and give Sting the final slot. 

It's still four nominees in the artistic categories, right? (Writing, Direction, Design) I know there's been a change in the amount of nominees per category in some instances, but I stopped caring or thinking about which categories. 

Honestly, if YOU enjoyed HONEYMOON..., that's all that matters. It's about the memories you have of the show. So just keep that in mind. 

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#30Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 12:30pm

I fell like they'll reward Sting for his unwavering support in his show. He put his own money in when needed and even stepped into the show officially to boost sales.

They'll want to reward that kind of commitment.

Fun Home

Last Ship

Something Rotten

The Visit

....but the world goes 'round

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#31Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 12:32pm

Also surprised to see Bartlett Sher wasn't nominated for direction. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 4/20/15 at 12:32 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#32Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 12:37pm

Well, David Hyde Pierce IS "TV'S DAVID HYDE PIERCE!!! EMMY AND TONY AWARD WINNER!!!" so of course he got a nomination. Having said that, his direction is competent and fleet, and he's far more than a TV name. He's a damn good stage actor in my eyes, at this point. Though I preferred Bartlett Sher's work. 

The OCC is often easily swayed by "names" and "brands." The Tonys are, too, but then again, they awarded Tracy Letts and A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE... in 2013 and 2014 respectively. 

aj88
#33Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 12:40pm

It is kind of crazy how they completely snubbed Finding Neverland and Honeymoon in Vegas because I, as well, kind of thought they would receive the most nominations here than from any other group.

Still a little baffled by Christian Borle being in Lead, especially with how John Cariani got into Featured. I could see why they'd make a case for Cariani to be in Featured but it is all the more crazy when Borle is in Lead. Maybe that will change with the other awards shows.

I wasn't the biggest fan of HONEYMOON IN VEGAS by any means but the score/orchestrations and McClure were all nomination worthy in my opinion so I hope they get notice in some way.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#34Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 12:53pm

"Also surprised to see Bartlett Sher wasn't nominated for direction. "

That was my biggest surprise too.  I get nominating Nicholaw for Choreography, but in no way should he be acknowledged for Direction before Bart.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#35Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 12:56pm

"Still a little baffled by Christian Borle being in Lead, especially with how John Cariani got into Featured. I could see why they'd make a case for Cariani to be in Featured but it is all the more crazy when Borle is in Lead. Maybe that will change with the other awards shows."

I have a feeling that they'll be switched for the Tonys.  I'd be shocked if they have Borle competing in the same category as d'Aarcy James.  Brian actually has an outside shot to win the award, so I don't think they'll want Christian pulling votes from him.

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#36Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 1:14pm

John Doyle wasn't nominated either. These nominations are a joke! Someone tell me how Rob and Megan Fairchild are nominated over Lin Manuel and Harriet Harris and other people who are better lol

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

neonlightsxo
#37Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 1:16pm

The outer critics are baffling like this every single year. Don't put too much stock into them.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#38Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 1:18pm

No nomination for set design for The Visit?

WTF?

Poster Emeritus

neonlightsxo
#39Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 1:20pm

It shows how little they know/care that they only have one category for each of the design elements, lumping play and musical together.

aj88
#40Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 1:22pm

Megan Fairchild was fine in On the Town but nowhere near worthy of a nomination, at least in my opinion...especially when you have Elizabeth Stanley and even more so Alysha Umphress in the same show and made a bigger impression.

Fairchild is a great dancer but I still find Umphress to be one of my favorite performances from this season. 

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#41Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 1:23pm

"Someone tell me how Rob and Megan Fairchild are nominated over Lin Manuel and Harriet Harris and other people who are better lol"

Oh, you mean all of those people whose performances you haven't seen?  Well Lin isn't exactly known for his acting.  Harriet Harris, while good, is doing her usual schtick.  And Robert and Megan are PHENOMENAL in their respective shows.

neonlightsxo
#42Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 1:24pm

The fact that Hamilton didn't get any acting nominations is absolutely ridiculous. Again, another reason these awards don't mean anything. Nothing for Leslie Odom Jr? Come on, OCC.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#43Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 1:55pm

No Chita?

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#44Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 1:57pm

"No Chita?"

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL

Kristin Chenoweth    On the Twentieth Century

Leanne Cope    An American in Paris

Tyne Daly    It Shoulda Been You

Kelli O’Hara    The King and I

Chita Rivera    The Visit

Yes Chita.

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#45Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 2:06pm

These are the nuttiest nominations. No Brad Oscar? I liked "It Shoulda" but getting more noms than the groundbreaking "Hamilton"? No Leslie Odom? No Honeymoon score? 

JoeyEvans1206
#46Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 2:10pm

Bart Sher and John Rando definitely deserved to be ñominated for Best Direction.

While I know there are a number of Nicholaw fans out there, I have found much of his Broadway work to be uninspired. His comic choreography never matches the wit of Stroman's and he really does have the sophisticated vision Bergasse or Wheeldon. Nicholas's best work has been with Encores! as well as on The Drowsy Chaperone.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#47Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 2:11pm

Kind of all over the map.

ISHBY helped immensely as they can trumpet nominations as many people do not know them but only see 1.Nomination & 2.Award

Poster Emeritus

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#48Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 2:34pm

and why did The Last Ship get nominated for best musical, and book?? Especially over Honeymoon in Vegas. 

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#49Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran
Posted: 4/20/15 at 2:41pm

Did you see THE LAST SHIP?  

Videos