pixeltracker

Aladdin - Live Action Remake- Page 2

Aladdin - Live Action Remake

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#25Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 4/19/17 at 5:09pm

Oh please no...I can't see him as the Genie AT ALL...you need to be able to SLAY "Friend Like Me" in the best way possible!

Why not just pull a Jersey Boys and put in James Monroe Iglehart?!

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#26Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 4/19/17 at 5:12pm

To me, the Genie is the role for Donald Glover much more so than Simba.

Broadway World's Fireman.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#27Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 4/19/17 at 5:20pm

bwaylyric said: "In talks to play Genie is...

WILL SMITH

Jiggy-Genie

"

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sunny11
#28Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 4/19/17 at 5:38pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Oh please no...I can't see him as the Genie AT ALL...you need to be able to SLAY "Friend Like Me" in the best way possible!

Why not just pull a Jersey Boys and put in James Monroe Iglehart?!

"

Maybe he rearranges the song into a rap and includes the line  " From West Arabia born and raised " 

wink

Updated On: 4/19/17 at 05:38 PM

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#29Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 6/21/17 at 5:06pm

very curious to see if they'll use songs from the Broadway version with lyrics by Chad Beguelin, or add new ones a la the 2017 BATB, and if these new songs would have lyrics by Tim Rice or Beguelin

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#30Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 6/22/17 at 8:46am

I'm just waiting for them to officially announce somebody else for the Genie...

As an aside, I finally saw Aladdin on Broadway at the end of May. The crowd went absolutely nuts for Major Attaway. That role is just so beloved in people's minds, and deservedly so. I was a little disappointed that I just missed Telly Leung, but Jacob Dickey did a really good job. And seeing the VOICE of Jafar actually do his role onstage was so cool.

Say, why did Tim Rice not do the additional songs for the stage adaptation? It's a little bizarre to see a show have one composer with three lyricists.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#31Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 7/12/17 at 6:33am

So Will Smith will be the Genie. Great choice!

They have trouble finding an Aladdin, but my picks would be Avan Jogia for Aladdin and Tara Sutaria for Jasmine.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#32Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 7/12/17 at 8:09am

My choices would be Achraf Koutet and Naomi Scott. I'm not sure they'd look good together though. Achraf is quite boyish looking while Naomi looks more mature.... mind you, that's essentially the plot of the movie!

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#33Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 7/12/17 at 8:16am

Naomi Scott looks too nickelodeon/modern student to me, type-wise. Achraf Koutet looks the part, based on his linkedin photo, but I can't find much else about him.

I feel that Tara Sutaria looks and sounds more authentic and Avan Jogia looks matches her, looks and type wise, just like in the animated film.

Updated On: 7/12/17 at 08:16 AM

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#35Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/5/17 at 8:03pm

^^ what?? Why is there a white man playing a presumably white character in Aladdin? Which takes place in the Middle East? We had a chance to have an all-poc cast here and Disney blew it (I don't mean to sound like our dear and beloved Cynthia Erivo here, but seriously this isn't needed). 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#36Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/5/17 at 8:17pm

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#37Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/5/17 at 8:31pm

Itonlytakesajourney said: "^^ what?? Why is there a white man playing a presumably white character in Aladdin? Which takes place in the Middle East? We had a chance to have an all-poc cast here and Disney blew it (I don't mean to sound like our dear and beloved Cynthia Erivo here, but seriously this isn't needed)."

Prince Anders sounds Swedish, I assume he will play a suitor for the princess/one of the rejected princes from other countries/Kingdoms, which is great. I guess they want diversity.

And why is a 100% poc cast better than a 95% poc cast? Wanting to exclude a certain race sounds like Nazi practice to me.

Also, it actually makes sense for the story line that suitors from different kingdoms come to visit the princess.

"We had a chance to have an all-poc cast here and Disney blew it" 

Why focus on race? Maybe they actually focused on the story line and you should do the same. Maybe they deliberately wanted to show that life is beyond race. To teach people like you a lesson. In any case, it's not worth mentioning as diversity is always good. Stop being racist.

Updated On: 9/5/17 at 08:31 PM

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#38Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/5/17 at 10:09pm

Dave28282 said: "Itonlytakesajourney said: "^^ what?? Why is there a white man playing a presumably white character in Aladdin? Which takes place in the Middle East? We had a chance to have an all-poc cast here and Disney blew it (I don't mean to sound like our dear and beloved Cynthia Erivo here, but seriously this isn't needed)."

Prince Anders sounds Swedish, I assume he will play a suitor for the princess/one of the rejected princes from other countries/Kingdoms, which is great. I guess they want diversity.

And why is a 100% poc cast better than a 95% poc cast? Wanting to exclude a certain race sounds like Nazi practice to me.

Also, it actually makes sense for the story line that suitors from different kingdoms come to visit the princess.

"We had a chance to have an all-poc cast here and Disney blew it"

Why focus on race? Maybe they actually focused on the story line and you should do the same. Maybe they deliberately wanted to show that life is beyond race. To teach people like you a lesson. In any case, it's not worth mentioning as diversity is always good. Stop being racist.
"

I guess wanting an all poc-cast is being racist and a Nazi sad. I'm really not going to argue with you, Dave, because you always have something to fight about. Have a good night obsessing over race blush

youwillbefound2 Profile Photo
youwillbefound2
#39Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/5/17 at 10:37pm

I don't get how wanting an all POC cast in a movie set in the Middle East is Nazi behavior... 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#40Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/5/17 at 10:45pm

Dave is a flamingly racist troll and has been for his entire time on this board under various screen names. Don't feed him. 

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#41Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/6/17 at 6:04am

Diversity is not racist. Exclusion is.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#42Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/6/17 at 6:09am

Itonlytakesajourney said: "I guess wanting an all poc-cast is being racist"

It is. If the story includes suitors from other countries you can't demand that a swedish prince is a poc.

What is this obsessive need for "a whole poc cast"? You actually feel less good with a 95% poc cast?

Then you really have a problem. But have fun wasting every moment in your life focusing only on race. Anything else you have to say about the film?

Updated On: 9/6/17 at 06:09 AM

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#43Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/6/17 at 6:18am

Itonlytakesajourney said: "^^ what?? Why is there a white man playing a presumably white character in Aladdin? Which takes place in the Middle East? We had a chance to have an all-poc cast here and Disney blew it (I don't mean to sound like our dear and beloved Cynthia Erivo here, but seriously this isn't needed)."

Itonlytakesajourney said: "Have a good night obsessing over race blush"

Having a conversation with yourself?

Updated On: 9/6/17 at 06:18 AM

MovieInMyMind2
#44Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/6/17 at 6:48am

They cast a black man to play Kristoff in the new Frozen musical even though Kristoff was originally white in the movie and Arendelle is based heavily on Norway.

They cast Denee and Oak to play two white Russian aristocrats in Comet.

They cast a black man to play Aaron Burr (a real person) who was white.

The current Aladdin on Broadway is Asian, not middle eastern.

The current Jasmine on Broadway is also Asian. Courtney Reed is half Vietnamese.

A large portion of the Miss Saigon ensemble cast is Hispanic, according to sources.

....The point that I am trying to make is that they have cast people of different ethnicities to play characters that are not of the same ethnicity. It is being done all the time on film and on Broadway.

So why call Dave a racist troll simply because he sees through the double standards of "blind casting" and is pointing out those obvious double standards?

coreman009
#45Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/6/17 at 4:23pm

MovieInMyMind2 said: "Itonlytakesajourney said: "^^ what?? Why is there a white man playing a presumably white character in Aladdin? Which takes place in the Middle East? We had a chance to have an all-poc cast here and Disney blew it (I don't mean to sound like our dear and beloved Cynthia Erivo here, but seriously this isn't needed)."

They cast a black man to play Kristoff in the new Frozen musical even though Kristoff was originally white in the movie and Arendelle is based heavily on Norway.

They cast Denee and Oak to play two white Russian aristocrats in Comet.

They cast a black man to playAaron Burr (a real person) who was white.

The current Aladdin on Broadway is Asian, not middle eastern.

The current Jasmine on Broadway is also Asian. Courtney Reed is half Vietnamese.

A large portion of the Miss Saigon ensemble cast is Hispanic, according to sources.

....The point that I am trying to make is that they have cast people of different ethnicities to play characters that are not of the same ethnicity. It is being done all the time on film and on Broadway.

So why call Dave a racist troll simply because he sees through the double standards of "blind casting" and is pointing out thoseobvious double standards?
"

AMEN

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#46Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/6/17 at 4:32pm

Well, thank you.

Double standards are the root of inequality.

And it's not even only about different ethnicities to play characters that are not of the same ethnicity, but also about the harmful desires to have a 100% poc cast, even if the storyline is about a Swedish suitor. This 1 way race focus is damaging to society.

Sunny11
#47Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/6/17 at 4:56pm

The number of opportunities for a major Hollywood movie to have a whole POC cast is tiny where as the recent Dunkirk had a 100% Caucasian cast and so do many other movies.

The reason that there is a double standard about blind casting is to attempt to level the playing field which is understandable. 

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#48Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/6/17 at 5:14pm

Sunny11 said: "as the recentDunkirk had a 100% Caucasian cast and so do many othermovies."

Such as?

That's actually extremely rare nowadays.

Sunny11 said: "opportunities for a major Hollywood movie to have a whole POC cast"

A "whole poc cast" should not be seen as an "opportunity". 

An opportunity to what? An opportunity to exclude white people for 100%? Does that feel better to you than 95%? Taking the right to exclude a certain race because you feel like it has been done to your ancestors too? A strange way of repeating history, but this time the other way around? Trying to get even? Still not wanting diversity, but strictly separation?

This has nothing to do with "leveling the playing field". It's just a toxic thought.

A 95% percentage of POC in a film is fantastic. Demanding 100% just for the sake of it is just weird and harmful.

Double standards are the root of inequality. No matter how much you think you have the right to use them. It's not the solution.

Updated On: 9/6/17 at 05:14 PM

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#49Aladdin - Live Action Remake
Posted: 9/6/17 at 5:57pm

Would a Swedish prince actually have traveled all the way to Persia in the days of Aladdin to woo a princess? I'm no world history major but I think not. Certainly there were arranged marriages across borders and cultures, but Sweden to "Agraba" seems like a stretch. Does Hollywood think that a 100% cast of actors appropriate to the setting can't succeed? My concern in this age of political correctness, Black Lives Matter, and the white man being blamed for all that's evil, is that Billy's role will have devious intentions, i.e., the big bad white guy seeking fortunes and power over love, that he'll be cast as an additional villain to Jafar. 

Videos