pixeltracker

Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017- Page 2

Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017

PaulWom
#25Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 4:42pm

Sorry! I meant to say those are the performances I think will get the nomination. Forgot to specify which ones I think are locks. In my mind, they are:

Denee Benton- Natasha

Bette Midler- Hello, Dolly

Christine Ebersole- War Paint

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#26Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 4:48pm

froote said: "I'm iffy on Eva too. She didn't get an Olivier nomination which should be easier to get."

Please keep in mind that the West End revival of Miss Saigon opened nearly a year before the Oliviers took place, where she might've gotten lost in the shuffle.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#27Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 4:49pm

Bette Midler- Hello Dolly

Patti Lupone - War Paint

Christine Ebersole - War Paint

Eva Noblezada - Miss Saigon or Christy Altomare - Anastasia

Barrett Doss - Groundhog Day or Denee Benton - Natasha Pierre

***Haven't seen Anastasia or Groundhog Day***

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/21/17 at 04:49 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#28Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 4:49pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "I'd say Bette Midler, Christine Ebersole, Patti LuPone, Christy Altomare, and either Eva Noblezada or Denee Benton, with the latter having a slight edge because some people really don't care for the former's portrayal of Kim."

Are any of those people on the nominating committee?

PaulWom
#29Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 4:52pm

Curious- why is Christy Altomare a lock on everyone's lists? Anastasia hasn't even opened yet.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#30Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 4:52pm

froote said: "I'm iffy on Eva too. She didn't get an Olivier nomination which should be easier to get.

"

Idina won the Tony and yet wasn't nominated for an Olivier. 

Jeffrey Karasarides
#31Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 4:54pm

My current predictions for the nominations are...

Christy Altomare-Anastasia
Denee Benton-Natasha, Pierre, & the Great Comet of 1812
Bette Midler-Hello, Dolly!
Eva Noblezada-Miss Saigon

The fifth slot to me is kind of up for grabs at this point. I think we should wait and see how AmelieBandstandGroundhog Day, and War Paint end up being received by the press. Hopefully, we can have a tie in the nominating process of this category so they could expand the numbers.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#32Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 4:55pm

Jessetenny said: "froote said: "I'm iffy on Eva too. She didn't get an Olivier nomination which should be easier to get."

"Idina won the Tony and yet wasn't nominated for an Olivier.
"

Exactly! You should always take everything the Oliviers say with a grain of salt.

Dysquith13 Profile Photo
Dysquith13
#33Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 4:55pm

I'm fairly confident that Bette is the only lock for a nomination. This is one of the most competitive years in some time. After that, I'll guess Altomare, Eva Noblezada, and two of the War Paint ladies or Denee Benton.

Once Anastasia previews start on Thursday, we should get more word of Altomare's chances, but hopefully it's at least on par with the Hartford production.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#34Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 4:56pm

PaulWom said: "Curious-why is Christy Altomare a lock on everyone's lists? Anastasia hasn't even opened yet."

I think we're at least taking the response she received out-of-town into account.

Updated On: 3/21/17 at 04:56 PM

froote
#35Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 4:58pm

I mean I'm not saying Eva isn't getting nominated because of that, it's just something to take into consideration like any other factor.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#36Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 5:05pm

Based on the lukewarm reception to Bandstand out of town, unless they've really revamped it I would be surprised to see Osnes nominated. I also fully expect to see LuPone and Ebersole nominated- unless the show does terribly, they're legends playing roles that are tailored to their skills. War Paint itself may not get much love, but that's a different story. 

Regardless, it's Bette Midler's to lose, I think. No one else this season is as big a star or has as good a role.  

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#37Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 6:04pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "I will be very sad if Christy doesn't get a nomination.

"

I'd be devastated. Her performance is moving and powerful and honestly if Hello Dolly wasn't this season, Christy would be the front runner for this.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#38Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 7:18pm

Is Eva that impressive live? I have been really underwhelmed by her in the clips I have seen. 

Kinky Boy Profile Photo
Kinky Boy
#39Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 7:59pm

I agree with much of what has already been said. I don't see Eva Noblezada getting a nod.  I think Phillipa Soo and Laura Osnes are in the same boat. If their shows don't get much Tony love, they're not getting in. Also, Annaleigh Ashford should be nominated. And lets not forget Audra didn't get nominated last year so anything can happen.

Bette Midler, Patti Lupone, Christine Ebersole, Denee Benton, and either Soo, Altomare, or Osnes for the last.

Updated On: 3/21/17 at 07:59 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#40Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 8:15pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "BroadwayRox3588 said: "I will be very sad if Christy doesn't get a nomination."

"I'd be devastated. Her performance is moving and powerful and honestly if Hello Dolly wasn't this season, Christy would be the front runner for this.
"

She could still probably pull an upset. Not saying if it will happen or not, but if Moonlight can topple La La Land for Best Picture, anything's possible.

pupscotch
#41Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 8:17pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "BroadwayRox3588 said: "I will be very sad if Christy doesn't get a nomination.

"

I'd be devastated. Her performance is moving and powerful and honestly if Hello Dolly wasn't this season, Christy would be the front runner for this.

"

I concur. I absolutely adored Christy in Hartford, and I would be so upset if she didn't get a nod. She absolutely kills this role, and I think her work in this is far superior to some of the other actresses in consideration. I don't think she's a lock, as the only true lock is Bette, but I do have very high hopes and I believe she is a very strong contender.

Mike66
#42Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 9:53pm

There's only one lock, and one winner -- and that's MIDLER.  I say that even though the show hasn't opened, and I haven't seen it.  There's just too much buzz (and$$$) for it to be anyone else.

Four wonderful performers will have the honor of the Tony Nomination to hang on their walls.  But I doubt they will even draft a victory speech.

I suspect the group will include one or both from War Paint, and Eva Noblezada will be on that list.

The remaining could be any of the following -- Osnes, Benton, Soo, Altomare -- in part depending on how well their shows are reviewed.  Or someone else whose show hasn't yet opened and who catches Ben's eye on review night.

None of these "also rans" should feel badly.  They all know that in a normal situation, the lead actresses in Sunday in the Park and Sunset Boulevard would have been locks for their slots.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#43Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 10:22pm

Kinky Boy said: "I agree with much of what has already been said. I don't see Eva Noblezada getting a nod.  I think Phillipa Soo and Laura Osnes are in the same boat. If their shows don't get much Tony love, they're not getting in. Also, Annaleigh Ashford should be nominated. And lets not forget Audra didn't get nominated last year so anything can happen.

Bette Midler, Patti Lupone, Christine Ebersole, Denee Benton, and either Soo or Osnes for the last.

"

Annaleigh isn't eligible, as Sunday in the Park withdrew from Tony eligibility.

Kinky Boy Profile Photo
Kinky Boy
#44Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 10:25pm

yes i know, but i'm saying she should be. Also, is there any leading lady in Come From Away? I haven't seen the show yet.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#45Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 10:26pm

Kinky Boy said: "yes i know, but i'm saying she should be. Also, is there any leading lady in Come From Away? I haven't seen the show yet.

No, it's an ensemble piece.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#46Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 10:27pm

^ there's no leading character, but it's likely Jen Colella will get nominated and win for featured actress.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#47Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 10:45pm

If they're smart they'll petition Come From Away for Featured Actor/Actress. I'd think they'd be stupid not to give noms to Lupone & Ebersole. They're both stars and they are both serving it in their respective roles. The show might be amazing, but their performances are incredible. And I'd think Soo/Benton would be the other two. I mean, I don't think see Anastasia getting much love or Bandstand. But who knows.

Kinky Boy Profile Photo
Kinky Boy
#48Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 10:56pm

I disagree with that. I think Amelie is not gonna get nominated for much if anything, which is why I doubt Soo will be nominated. By contrast, I think Benton will get in because Natasha Pierre is gonna get Tony love. I also wouldn't underestimate Anastasia. No clue about Bandstand.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#49Best Leading Actress in a Musical 2017
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:05pm

Call_me_jorge said: "^ there's no leading character, but it's likely Jen Colella will get nominated and win for featured actress.

Nominated? Yes.  Win?  Eh, I don't think so.  Rachel Bay Jones and Stephanie J Block both gave fantastic, layered performances with a lot more stage time than Jen.  Jen is the stand out in her show, but she doesn't deserve to win over some of the other ladies in her category.  I do see a Tony win some time in her future however.

As for Lead Actress:

Bette Midler (Pretty much a guaranteed win)- Hello, Dolly!

Patti Lupone- War Paint

Christine Ebersole- War Paint

Eva Noblezada- Miss Saigon

Denee Benton- The Great Comet

Videos