pixeltracker

CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018- Page 2

CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#25CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:14pm

I thought Jack did a great job with The Sound of Music, but i'm just sick and tired of Carousel honestly. Excited to see Mueller, Henry, and Fleming in this though. But not dying to see it. Also agree, wish it was Bart Sher.

Trish2
#26CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:17pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "While Jack O'Brien's track record has been pretty inconsistent as of late, let's not forget that Joe Mantello's track record was pretty much similar until being paired with Scott Rudin last season with The Humans and Blackbird. Not to mention Jerry Zaks hasn't delivered a home run on Broadway until Hello, Dolly! (another Scott Rudin production) this season."

Careful there, Jeffrey. know all your facts before making a comment like that. Zaks won the best director TONY for the sterling 1992 revival of GUYS AND DOLLS. I'll give you your youth for that faux pas.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#27CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:17pm

Butter Broadway said: "I thought Jack did a great job with The Sound of Music, but i'm just sick and tired of Carousel honestly. Excited to see Mueller, Henry, and Fleming in this though. But not dying to see it. Also agree, wish it was Bart Sher.

How are you sick and tired of Carousel?  Wasn't the last revival 1994?  We are most certainly due for a revival.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#28CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:18pm

I think Osnes would have been good too- But ah well. I'm confident Henry can sing sit well if he can sing legit- Can he?  Someone tell me if he can!  The only thing I'm familiar with of Henry's work is Violet and it's a far fry from Flick to Billy Bigelow. But no doubt he'd talented, so we'll just have to wait and see(Been saying that on here lately, sorry, lol). 

Butter Broadway Profile Photo
Butter Broadway
#29CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:23pm

Carousel is done all the time.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#30CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:27pm

Fleming's casting is amazing, and completely overshadows Mueller's involvement.  People will pay just to hear You'll Never Walk Alone.  

How will Fleming handle 8 shows a week?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#31CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:29pm

The only thing giving me pause about this is Jack O'Brien's involvement. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#32CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:34pm

Trish2 said: "Jeffrey Karasarides said: "While Jack O'Brien's track record has been pretty inconsistent as of late, let's not forget that Joe Mantello's track record was pretty much similar until being paired with Scott Rudin last season with The Humans and Blackbird. Not to mention Jerry Zaks hasn't delivered a home run on Broadway until Hello, Dolly! (another Scott Rudin production) this season."

Careful there, Jeffrey. know all your facts before making a comment like that. Zaks won the best director TONY for the sterling 1992 revival of GUYS AND DOLLS. I'll give you your youth for that faux pas.
"

Sorry, I meant that until Hello, Dolly! this season, it had been a long while since Jerry Zaks was able to deliver a home run on Broadway.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#34CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:35pm

No, Sher would've been the wrong choice for this. Carousel is hot blooded passion, intensity and life and death stakes. Sher would've brought a gentle, subtle hand to a piece that needs heat. O'Brien is a risky choice given his track record of late, but apparently his Porgy and Bess many years ago was something to behold and I've heard very positive things about his Sound of Music.

Still wish it was Phillipa Soo as Julie Jordan, but Mueller is a phenomenal talent and actress who I'm sure will do wonderful things in the role.

Henry will sing it well and his tenor voice will add a youthful energy to the songs, which is vitally important to Billy Bigelow. I wonder how he'll do with the book scenes. You all talk about Billy Bigelow as if it's Eva Peron wall-to-wall singing. Billy has two big numbers that are nearly an hour apart in Act 1 and then doesn't sing again until the very end of Act 2. It's the book scenes that make or break your Billy. Nathan Gunn is recorded proof of that. I'm cautiously optimistic about this production, and I'm thrilled that the misguided Lyric production isn't coming over.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#35CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:36pm

BroadwayMan5 said: "I wonder what theatre? Hudson? Neil Simon? (I really doubt Cats will still be open by then). The Broadway seems a little too big"

Especially for a show that's probably more of a tough sell nowadays.

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#36CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:37pm

Niki Renee Daniels or Ashley Park would be beautiful as Carrie.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#37CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:38pm

Oh yes, Ashley Park please!!!!

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#38CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:39pm

With the 2013 NY Philharmonic production as well as the 2015 Lyric Opera production, I can see why some might feel it's overexposed lately and frankly I agree. But I'm intrigued none the less! 

But a revival of Allegro would be what I would like to see the most: It's actually quite a good interesting show. Maybe  it's not commercially viable, but I'd highly enjoy to see it be revived at some point. It does have some beautiful music and is a highly interesting concept. 

TheThreadMaster Profile Photo
TheThreadMaster
#39CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:40pm

Jack O'Brien did not exactly strike gold with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. So many people on here really hate it. Carousel is a magnificent piece and let's hope he redeems himself. Especially with the amount of potential CATCF had, this show has plenty as well with casting such as Jessie Mueller, Joshua Henry etc. So let's hope he directs for us a tour de force revival with great reviews, packed houses, and a well backed community here on broadwayworld. Not to thrilled to hear that he is directing. I think Julie Taymor would be awesome. Hoping it goes well!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#40CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:46pm

Henry will sing it well and his tenor voice will add a youthful energy to the songs, which is vitally important to Billy Bigelow. I wonder how he'll do with the book scenes. You all talk about Billy Bigelow as if it's Eva Peron wall-to-wall singing. Billy has two big numbers that are nearly an hour apart in Act 1 and then doesn't sing again until the very end of Act 2. 

Huh? It's written for a baritone.  And it is one of the biggest singing roles in Musical Comedt for a guy, a BARITONE guy.

"

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#41CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:53pm

CPD: I know what it was written for. I'm saying what a different sounding voice could add to the performance. Not that a tenor voice is vital, but that a youthful presence is. I'm also aware of the stigma that comes with the role, that it being a major singing role. It is a role with very heavy duty singing to it, but it's not the ONLY thing that defines it. 

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#42CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:53pm

Charlie And The Chocolate Factory had a lot of potential? Don't get me wrong- I think both films have merit(Although the old one is kinda awful in parts, lol), but cmon? The material should have just not been made into a musical-  I've had enough of every film being turned into one, especially after two movies and other musical adaptations in the past. I'm listening to some of the songs now and it's what I expected- Awful and  completely commercial.  No matter who directed it, this show would have been a turkey. 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#43CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:54pm

I adore Jessie Mueller but man, I have no interest in this. Still, always happy to see her working. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

HeleneIsASlut
#44CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:01am

icecreambenjamin said: "Niki Renee Daniels or Ashley Park would be beautiful as Carrie.

YESSSS to both of these suggestions! I assume we will be getting a diverse cast for this production? I hope so. I wonder if this production will lead toward the more traditional style or ver towards 1940sesque one like the Lyric production or be something complete different! 

"

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#45CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:16am

I love Jessie Mueller, but I just can't see her as Julie after having seen her play Carrie (which she was perfect for).  I am skeptical of Josh Henry's casting too.  The only one of these three who seems appropriately cast is actually Fleming.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#46CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:23am

wickedfan said: "CPD: I know what it was written for. I'm saying what a different sounding voice could add to the performance. Not that a tenor voice is vital, but that a youthful presence is. I'm also aware of the stigma that comes with the role, that it being a major singing role. It is a role with very heavy duty singing to it, but it's not the ONLY thing that defines it. 

Mmm, , I disagree with that. The role needs a powerful, commanding, intimidating   presence  to it and a tenor voice that isn't a large operatic one won't be right in my book.   That's one of my issues with Michael Hayden from the 1994 Revival - he sounded too young for the role to me.   Also,  tenors  do not just sing sweet and pretty or youthful. If you look at opera tenor stuff, you'll know what I mean. A tenor  that just sings it sweet, pretty  and thinly  or  like it's contemporary musical theatre  won't cut it. 

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#47CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:27am

I had previously scoffed at the rumors of a Carousel revival, since it's constantly done at every regional theatre, high school, and community theatre in the country. It's got a great score but as everyone knows the domestic violence thing has not aged well.

BUT...I really like the idea of Joshua Henry as Billy Bigelow. If you're going to do a multi-million dollar production of an old chestnut like Carousel on Broadway, then either be the best production ever or do something interesting with it. I think it's pretty uncommon to have a black actor playing Billy, and especially given the current political climate and the nature of the role, I think this "color conscious" casting changes the show in a way that will bring out new elements in the old text while still making sense with the story.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#48CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:30am

Soaring: Billy IS young. He's not a teenager, but he is not a commanding, powerful, intimidating presence. He is a man/child who was the big fish in very, very small pond who doesn't know the first thing about being an adult. Carousel post "If I Loved You" is the audience seeing the vulnerable, insecure person Billy is hiding behind the raw sexual charisma he presents at most times.

A booming, operatic voice offers wonderful thrills with this score (John Raitt, Nathan Gunn) but there's a dramatic heft to the role that many operatic voices, at least in my experience, don't bring to it. Say what you will about Hayden's voice, and I know he's not a great singer, but each acting beat in his "Soliloquy" is defined and on point. And I didn't say "sweet and pretty," I said "youthful" because I believe that it is essential to the character of Billy that he be a young character for all the reasons I posted above. 

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 12:30 AM

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#49CAROUSEL Broadway Revival Officially Set for Spring 2018
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:31am

It's a pity it's not the 93 staging

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Videos