pixeltracker

CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring- Page 2

CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring

10086sunset
#25CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/15/17 at 4:57pm

neonlightsxo said: "Well now that's one less slot for Roundabout to fill in their non-existent Broadway season"

Hits the nail on the head.

Seriously, what are they doing over there? Are they still two shows short?

Updated On: 8/17/17 at 04:57 PM

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#26CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/15/17 at 5:10pm

Sorry, JB! I only read your interesting side note about the actress while skimming the thread. 

Is this actually a Roundabout coproduction? I don't see any mention of it.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#27CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/15/17 at 5:18pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "Sorry, JB! I only read your interesting side note about the actress while skimming the thread. "

No problem. Great minds think alike I guess CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring 

Sunny11
#28CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/15/17 at 5:46pm

I have fond memories of Joshua Jackson from the Mighty Ducks trilogy and Dawson's Creek. I don't know how much of a draw he is now but to people who were kids in the 90s he has the  nostalgia factor going for him.

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#29CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/15/17 at 6:40pm

Saw this at Berkshire Festival and the two leads are terrific. Jackson  is giving a tour de force performance. But I hope they do something with at ugly set design. 

VintageSnarker
#30CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/15/17 at 9:50pm

little_sally said: "wonkit said: "Joshua Jackson should be a draw.

I'm not so sure. I think he's great but he's not an A-lister. The title might be a draw, though.

Not exactly the same thing but does anyone have a sense of how Smart People did at Second Stage? Original play vs. revival. Other actors (though I don't think Mahershala Ali was a big draw at that point). Different theater size. But it would at least give some idea of how well he would sell tickets. I don't remember papering or discounts for that show, for what it's worth. 

As for Keira Knightley, I think Children of a Lesser God is an easier sell than Therese Raquin (at least to people who are not me).

They will likely be very different productions but I wonder how it will fare compared to the Orlando Bloom/Condola Rashad Romeo and Juliet. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#31CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/15/17 at 11:39pm

VintageSnarker said: "They will likely be very different productions but I wonder how it will fare compared to the Orlando Bloom/Condola Rashad Romeo and Juliet."

Why compare it to Romeo and Juliet? Not trying to be snarky - genuinely curious. Am I missing something? 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#32CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/16/17 at 12:08am

I'm genuinely interested in what makes a star vehicle a sure bet? Like, why does everything Hugh Jackman touches turn to gold, but someone like Orlando Bloom can't make Romeo + Juliet a hit. It's just interesting what takes and what doesn't take. 

VintageSnarker
#33CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/16/17 at 12:25am

JBroadway said: "VintageSnarker said: "They will likely be very different productions but I wonder how it will fare compared to the Orlando Bloom/Condola Rashad Romeo and Juliet."

Why compare it to Romeo and Juliet? Not trying to be snarky - genuinely curious. Am I missing something? 

Perhaps I'm letting myself be too influenced by all the talks about race and casting lately but that's where my brain went. A relatively successful white male actor who has been in popular projects but hasn't really been proven as a big box office commodity... and a generally unknown (I don't think Condola had a lot of big credits at that point, but please correct me if I'm wrong) black actress... in a romantic drama with name recognition and a certain pedigree (Shakespeare vs. Tony award wins) but no guarantee of selling tickets. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#34CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/16/17 at 12:46am

@Vintage Snarker. Gotcha. I wouldn't have thought to compare them, but I see your point. To me, Orlando Bloom is a much bigger star than Joshua Jackson, but maybe that's just because I grew up on movies like Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Troy. Similarly, I consider R&J to be much more of a recognizably classic than Children of a Lesser God.

Having said that, I just went back and checked out the grosses for R&J, and I had no idea their sales were so catastrophically low (I wasn't keeping track of grosses back then). It's extremely surprising to me, given what I said above. I know it didn't get great reviews but I'm still surprised Bloom + Shakespeare didn't make it critic-proof. 

Updated On: 8/16/17 at 12:46 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#35CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/16/17 at 1:09am

I don't think Bloom's fans are the kind the splurge on Shakespeare. 

Allegra23
#36CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/16/17 at 6:29am

Does anyone know if this will be a limited engagement? What would be my chances of being able to catch it in mid to late May, considering previews are starting March 22 and opening being set for April 11? I tried to find the info but maybe didn't know where to look.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#37CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/16/17 at 7:03am

Unless it totally tanks, it will be open. From what I've heard of the performances, it might just get a few Tony noms. Id say your chances are very high fie it to be open.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#38CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/16/17 at 7:25pm

Treshelle Edmiond was also in this production. I hope she continues, she is so talented.

caringtype1
#39CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/17/17 at 12:21am

I just binge-watched Dawson's Creek on Hulu for the first time, so I am looking forward to this. 

10086sunset
#40CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD to Play Studio 54 This Spring
Posted: 8/17/17 at 3:49pm

SomethingPeculiar said: "Sorry, JB! I only read your interesting side note about the actress while skimming the thread. 

Is this actually a Roundabout coproduction? I don't see any mention of it
"

Yes, it is a Roundabout co-production. It will count as one of the two remaining shows on their remaining schedule. 

Videos