pixeltracker

Buckley out again in Dolly- Page 2

Buckley out again in Dolly

binau Profile Photo
binau
#25Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/2/18 at 5:20pm

Gizmo6 said: "qolbinau said: ""?Stars’ are human too and the American obsession, which thankfully isn’t as extreme in the West End is not healthy. "

The west end is a whole other extreme, at least in America you are sure to get a refund if a star is out. In the money-grubbing, bait-and-switch scam that is the West End, you can pay hundreds of pounds to see Glenn Close in SUNSET BOULEVARD only to catch an understudy. Appalling, appalling.

As for Buckley, I guess she has basically come out of retirement and hasn't had an extended performance schedule like this for a very, very, very long time"

You either know nothingabout the West End or aredisingenuous in your comments.

There are tickets for the Company revival in the stalls for $30 These aren't rush or lottery these are standard priced tickets. This is the West End. This is theatre and this isaccessibility to the arts for all!

If you want to pay $1000 to see Star XYZ, fine, but you're notpart of the production ofculture you're part of the production of celebrity and capitalism and thatisn't art.

"

That $30 comment is so disengenious. Where are those seats in the theatre? The Company stalls seats are expensive, maybe not quite Broadway premium but close to Broadway full price. And we can’t forget that London have lower wages than New York so it’s not as if it’s a one to one comparison. Not offering refunds for Sheridan Smith or Glenn Close in their respective shows is pure scam to protect the financial interests of the show. No need to have any kind of intellectual gymnastics to excuse it. 

I agree any Broadway show advertising a Tony winner below the title and then not refunding if they can’t offer the service is also a scam. You shouldn’t be allowed to market shows like this if you can’t deliver. You can’t have your cake and eat it. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/2/18 at 05:20 PM

Gizmo6
#26Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/2/18 at 5:57pm

Buckley out again in Dollyqolbinau said: "Gizmo6 said: "qolbinau said: ""?Stars’ are human too and the American obsession, which thankfully isn’t as extreme in the West End is not healthy. "

The west end is a whole other extreme, at least in America you are sure to get a refund if a star is out. In the money-grubbing, bait-and-switch scam that is the West End, you can pay hundreds of pounds to see Glenn Close in SUNSET BOULEVARD only to catch an understudy. Appalling, appalling.

As for Buckley, I guess she has basically come out of retirement and hasn't had an extended performance schedule like this for a very, very, very long time"

You either know nothingabout the West End or aredisingenuous in your comments.

There are tickets for the Company revival in the stalls for $30 These aren't rush or lottery these are standard priced tickets. This is the West End. This is theatre and this isaccessibility to the arts for all!

If you want to pay $1000 to see Star XYZ, fine, but you're notpart of the production ofculture you're part of the production of celebrity and capitalism and thatisn't art.

"

That $30 comment is so disengenious. Where are those seats in the theatre? The Company stalls seats are expensive, maybe not quite Broadway premium but close to Broadway full price. And we can’t forget that London have lower wages than New York so it’s not as if it’s a one to one comparison. Not offering refunds for Sheridan Smith or Glenn Close in their respective shows is pure scam to protect the financial interests of the show. No need to have any kind of intellectual gymnastics to excuse it.

I agree any Broadway show advertising a Tony winner below the title and then not refunding if they can’t offer the service is also a scam. You shouldn’t be allowed to market shows like this if you can’t deliver. You can’t have your cake and eat it.
"

Its not disingenuous because it's fact and if you were any good you could have picked a random date in January and found the tickets. I'm an academic I deal in facts! 

I've added a screenshot and here's the link for the seats, the seats are in stalls at the back it works out approximately $35 for the cheapest seat in the stalls and $63 for really good seats up to premium seats for  near $160 dollars. These tickets are available through Delfont Mackintosh main site, no offers no codes no bull****. 

https://tickets.delfontmackintosh.co.uk/seating-plan.asp?ShoID=2341&PI=120125

And I will add you can get a ticket to Company for $15 in Grand Circle the second balcony. $15 to see Company with Patti LuPone. 

I saw Glen Close is Sunset in London but I would have loved to see Ria Jones who is a star of musical theatre. She took the tour out on the road after and had much more critical acclaim than Ms Close. 

I book to see a show, an ensemble. I'm sorry you're missing out. 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#27Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/2/18 at 6:14pm

pmensky said: "Where is she posting photos of her sightseeing while she is sick? I didn't see anything on her FB, Twitter or Instagram."

Her IG story, which only lasts for 24 hours. 

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#28Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/2/18 at 6:24pm

I book to see a show, an ensemble. I'm sorry you're missing out."

When the producers book the tour, they booked this one on Buckley being the lead.  Rarely (if ever) has a season subscription come with a name above the title.    They would not have been able to sell the tour without a name (Dolly is a great piece and this is a good production) because outside of the fervor about Midler this wasn’t a ‘hot ticket’ (saw both BP and DM who was great, on TKTS seats). You sell me a subscription that says ‘Betty Buckley in a Hello, Dolly” then it is exoected that you deliverBetty abuckly in Helo Dolly. 

I have seen great understudies  (sorry Sheridan wasn’t one of them) and have enjoyed the shows immensely. But if you are touring with a name above the title it is expected that you deliver.  

Updated On: 12/2/18 at 06:24 PM

Niles Silvers
#29Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/2/18 at 6:56pm

It's a tour company, for Lawd's sake!  Let the understudies get their experience; I doubt many people will even notice the difference. There's also the business of pacing yourself during a long haul.  She's a pro and knows what's good for her.  

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#30Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/2/18 at 7:09pm

Niles Silvers said: "It's a tour company, for Lawd's sake! Let the understudies get their experience;I doubt many people will even notice the difference. There's also the business of pacing yourself during a long haul. She's a pro and knows what's good for her."

What you seem to be forgetting is that the tour cities have blazoned Buckley's name on ALL promotional materials. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Gizmo6
#31Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/2/18 at 7:16pm

theatregeek6 said: "

I book to see a show, an ensemble. I'm sorry you're missing out."

When the producers book the tour, they booked this one onBuckley being the lead. Rarely (if ever) has a season subscription come with a name above the title. They would not have been able to sell the tour without a name (Dolly is a great piece and this is a good production) because outside of the fervor about Midler this wasn’t a ?hot ticket’ (saw both BP and DM who was great,on TKTS seats). You sell me a subscription that says ?Betty Buckley in a Hello,Dolly” then it is exoectedthat you deliverBetty abuckly in Helo Dolly.

I have seen great understudies (sorry Sheridan wasn’t one of them) and have enjoyed the shows immensely. But if you are touring with a name above the title it is expected that you deliver.

"

I just don't get it. We don't do subscriptions over here. We don't have the sense of entitlement to 'stars' that seems to dominate American Theatre. Surely people have the common sense to understand someone will be out of their job at some point. I don't believe anyone should be entitled to a refund for one member of the cast being out. It's live theatre. It's like the Americans who were sat with me in the from row of a West End Performance and during a high energy routine the actors were sweating profusely and they thought it inappropriate. Its theatre, it's live art, it's fleeting, you cannot tie it down into something mundane and regular no matter how hard you try. 

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#32Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/2/18 at 9:56pm

Niles Silvers said: "It's a tour company, for Lawd's sake! Let the understudies get their experience;I doubt many people will even notice the difference. There's also the business of pacing yourself during a long haul. She's a pro and knows what's good for her."

Yeah, us poor, uncultured, rubes who dare to love outside of New York don’t deserve top quality performances! 

And yes, as a previous poster pointed out, they have advertised this tour as BETTY BUCKLEY in HELLO DOLLY. Her name is the same size as the show’s title. It’s also above the title, which is quite rare for tours. 

The night I attended the show, people were very aware of Miss Buckley’s absence. The show started off a little flat until Sheridan got her footing. The laughs didn’t really begin to come until the dress shop scene. 

Regarding “pacing” yourself...Miss Buckley should be more concerned with having the energy to perform every night than she is with going to visit Mickey Mouse. If she was “pacing” herself she’d be resting on off days, not sightseeing. She clearly seems to have bitten off more than she can chew here. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#33Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/2/18 at 10:05pm

I'm really surprised this is happening under Rudin's watch. He usually requires excellent attendance from his principals. Bette missed one show, Bernadette no shows, Donna no shows. 

pmensky
#34Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/2/18 at 10:45pm

There are comments on one of her Instagram posts from people saying how much they enjoyed her opening night in Orlando on 11/27.  That was the same day she posted photos of her with Mickey Mouse when she was sightseeing.  There is also a photo of her backstage on 11/29 with friends of hers who she said came to see her that night.  I have seen no evidence that she was out and about during the time she called out.  

As far as pacing yourself goes, you can lock yourself in your hotel room all day and sleep 10 hours a night and still get sick if other cast members are sick.  Everyone's immune system behaves differently, and researchers say it has more to do with our genes than our behavior.  Yes, Carol Channing never called out of a performance, but Carol Channing is also turning 98 in two months.  It stands to reason that she may have come from a good gene pool.  

Miramar3
#35Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/2/18 at 11:47pm

adamgreer said: "The night I attended the show, people were very aware of Miss Buckley’s absence. The show started off a little flat until Sheridan got her footing. The laughs didn’t really begin to come until the dress shop scene.

Regarding “pacing” yourself...Miss Buckley should be more concerned with having the energy to perform every night than she is with going to visit Mickey Mouse. If she was “pacing” herself she’d be resting on off days, not sightseeing. She clearly seems to have bitten off more than she can chew here.
"

Miss Buckley clearly stated on IG that the photos had been taken FOUR DAYS before she became sick.  But you knew that, didn't you?  Why the anger?  Could it be that you're the person she called out for being rude?  Just asking.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#36Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 2:01am

It's always disappointing not to see a star who's billed in the show, but sometimes it leads to an unexpected pleasure. The understudy I saw go on for David Hyde Pierce during one of Donna Murphy's return engagement shows in July was the best of the three men I'd seen play the role of Horace.

Hoping Betty recovers quickly; this flu season is going to be wicked, though supposedly not quite as bad as last year!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#37Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 3:10am

I always find the attitudes these west end people have an odd form of Stockholm syndrome. Look, if you have no problem paying whatever it is $30, $50, $100 to see a show that markets itself as having some stars and the producers not having to be accountable for not delivering on that then good for you. This is just another reason why Broadway theatre in my opinion continues to be far superior to the sorry state of the West End in terms of musicals (with exceptions, almost all of which being American musicals lol). And I say this as someone who now lives in London. For musicals, I wish I was in New York.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Gizmo6
#38Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 5:14am

qolbinau said: "I always find the attitudes these west end people have an odd form of Stockholm syndrome. Look, if you have no problem paying whatever it is $30, $50, $100 to see a show that markets itself as having some stars and the producers not having to be accountable for not delivering on that then good for you. This is just another reason why Broadway theatre in my opinion continues to be far superior to the sorry state of the West End in terms of musicals (with exceptions, almost all of which being American musicals lol). And I say this as someone who now lives in London. For musicals, I wish I was in New York. "

That is the most bizzare comment and reveals a lot more about you than I! 

Theatre isn’t stars! You’ve been conned! 

Anyone who leaves a show because the ‘star’ isnt on hates theatre. Full stop! You are trying to kill theatre by not giving life to new actors. I’m sorry you hate art!

Yea Broadway is doing great for musicals, Head Over Heels, GTBB, Summer, just because you can churn them out doesn’t mean they are quality. 

The current Sondheim revivals are happening because of West End creatives, 

You wanted to see Close and she was out because she injured her back and now your butt hurt! GTFOI!! 

And you’re welcome for providing you with the link to the tickets for Company you told me didn’t exist! #factsarefacts

I’m sure we can crowd fund you a one way ticket! 

Updated On: 12/3/18 at 05:14 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#39Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 7:58am

You wanted to see Close and she was out because sheinjured her back and now your butt hurt! GTFOI!!"

I don't even like Qolbinau very much, but surely you could respond to him without writing a homophobic slur in your response.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#40Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 8:01am

Miramar3 said: "adamgreer said: "The night I attended the show, people were very aware of Miss Buckley’s absence. The show started off a little flat until Sheridan got her footing. The laughs didn’t really begin to come until the dress shop scene.

"

Miss Buckley clearly stated on IG that the photoshad been taken FOUR DAYS before she became sick. But you knew that, didn't you? Why the anger? Could it be that you're the person she called out for being rude? Just asking.

"

I have...no idea what you're referring to. I have never commented on or written to Ms. Buckley, nor have I seen this exchange between she and whoever it is you're referring to.  Just answering.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#41Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 9:14am

Gizmo6 said: "qolbinau said: "I always find the attitudes these west end people have an odd form of Stockholm syndrome. Look, if you have no problem paying whatever it is $30, $50, $100 to see a show that markets itself as having some stars and the producers not having to be accountable for not delivering on that then good for you. This is just another reason why Broadway theatre in my opinion continues to be far superior to the sorry state of the West End in terms of musicals (with exceptions, almost all of which being American musicals lol). And I say this as someone who now lives in London. For musicals, I wish I was in New York. "

Anyone who leaves a show because the ?star’ isnt on hates theatre. Full stop! You are trying to kill theatre by not giving life to new actors.I’msorry you hate art!

Yea Broadway is doing great for musicals, Head Over Heels, GTBB, Summer, just because you can churn them out doesn’t mean they are quality.

You wanted to see Close and she was out because sheinjured her back and now your butt hurt! GTFOI!!

And you’re welcome for providing you with the link to the tickets for Companyyou told me didn’t exist! #factsarefacts

"

It’s not that I don’t believe it existed - come on I’ve already seen Company more than once already at prices no where near you were claiming. From the very website you linked. The cheap prices are not prime orchestra seats. And if they are discounted further in Jan that probably reflects more the demand of the show than the good will of producers. Or the lower wages in the UK. As I already mentioned, it’s not as if you can just directly compare them. And even if you did - why does it matter? It has nothing to do with the comment around producers lying to you that you are going to see Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard and then not. In New York they aren’t so cheeky and gave refunds. 

Gizmo6
#42Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 10:09am

adamgreer said: "You wanted to see Close and she was out because sheinjured her back and now your butt hurt! GTFOI!!"

I don't even like Qolbinau very much, but surely you could respond to him without writing a homophobic slur in your response.

"Butt hurt isn't a homophobic slur. How ridiculous. Twisting things to suit your agenda is pathetic. 

I'm a queer academic I don't need you to define homophobia. I'll lead you follow chicken. 

Gizmo6
#43Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 10:18am

qolbinau said: "Gizmo6 said: "qolbinau said: "I always find the attitudes these west end people have an odd form of Stockholm syndrome. Look, if you have no problem paying whatever it is $30, $50, $100 to see a show that markets itself as having some stars and the producers not having to be accountable for not delivering on that then good for you. This is just another reason why Broadway theatre in my opinion continues to be far superior to the sorry state of the West End in terms of musicals (with exceptions, almost all of which being American musicals lol). And I say this as someone who now lives in London. For musicals, I wish I was in New York. "

Anyone who leaves a show because the ?star’ isnt on hates theatre. Full stop! You are trying to kill theatre by not giving life to new actors.I’msorry you hate art!

You wanted to see Close and she was out because sheinjured her back and now your butt hurt! GTFOI!!

And you’re welcome for providing you with the link to the tickets for Companyyou told me didn’t exist! #factsarefacts

"

It’s not that I don’t believe it existed - come on I’ve already seen Company more than oncealready at prices no where near you were claiming. From the very website you linked. The cheap prices are not prime orchestra seats. And if they are discounted further in Jan that probably reflects more the demand of the show than the good will of producers. Or the lower wagesin the UK. As I already mentioned, it’s not as if you can just directly compare them. And even if you did - why does it matter? It has nothing to do with the comment around producers lying to you that you are going to see Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard and then not. In New York they aren’t so cheeky and gave refunds.
"

Don't wear your arms out back peddling sweetie. 

The West End always has stall seats for under £50. I don't care what you consider prime viewing or not it's subjective. 

Wages are lower in the UK, but the quality is better! 

Glenn Close had an announced understudy. This is the West End, no one is viewed as better than anybody else. You were probably the man booing the announcement. 

If you don't like how the West End operates save your money and go to Broadway. You'll get to see one mediocre show for the price of at least 5 between the West End and NT even the Young Vic. 

America doesn't do quality accessible theatre. Just admit that, it's a fact whether you're butt hurt or not, it's a simple fact American Theatre is more commercially orientated than the UK. 

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#44Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 11:08am

Huh?  This 'tour company" charges (almost) the same as Broadway prices.  The show, as advertised, is "BETTY BUCKLEY in HELO, DOLLY!"  It is billed that way in every tour stop.  So, again, if you advertise 'BETTY BUCKLEY in HELLO, DOLLY" it is expected you get to see Betty Buckley in Hello, Dolly.  Not her understudy in Hello, Dolly or Betty Buckley in Moose Murders.

My irritation is on selling a tour with a name as part of the title of the show.  I know people get sick.  I have see many great understudies and alternates in both touring, Broadway and West End shows. But the producers need to understand that if you don't have a Carol Channing who will NEVER miss a performance, they you don't sell a tour this way.  Rudin shut the show down in NY after Peters couldn't draw like Midler.  He knows the value of  a name above the title.  And he banks on it bringing in business.  if you don't deliver that is called  'bait and switch'

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#45Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 11:27am

Gizmo6 said: "adamgreer said: "You wanted to see Close and she was out because sheinjured her back and now your butt hurt! GTFOI!!"

"Butt hurt isn't a homophobic slur. How ridiculous. Twisting things to suit your agenda is pathetic.

I'm a queer academic I don't need you to define homophobia. I'll lead you follow chicken.

"

I bet you're fun at parties! Merry Christmas!

BwayLB
#46Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 11:46am

^^ Well I’m surprised what you said about Bernadette and I’m jealous for my fellow theatre geeks who saw her or Bette in the show. If the tour casted a name we are all familiar with, I would be even more excited for the tour.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#47Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 12:05pm

*cast

And what's with people admitting when they're not familiar with someone?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

BwayLB
#48Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 12:09pm

Sorry I thought I would say it because I never saw Buckley in anything.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#49Buckley out again in Dolly
Posted: 12/3/18 at 12:12pm

You're familiar with the names of other performers you've never seen in anything, right?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos