pixeltracker

2023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions- Page 2

2023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions

chrishuyen
#252023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/8/23 at 6:47pm

I'll admit I expected A Case for the Existence of God to make finalist at least (On Sugarland wasn't even on my radar as a Pulitzer chance), but I do think Downstate was somewhat polarizing outside of this board and deep theater circles.  I don't know how Pulitzer deliberations are made well enough to say if this is for sure, but it could be that they didn't want something that controversial with its approach to victims.  Do we know for sure that it was submitted this year?

Otherwise, it's wonderful to be hearing from different voices.  Two years in a row isn't even that many, and there's a lot of competition for just 3 slots so I guess better luck next year to the white male playwright *shrug*

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#262023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/8/23 at 7:17pm

chrishuyen said: "Do we know for sure that it was submitted this year?"

I'll do you one better: I know for sure that it was *NOT* submitted this year. I reached out to someone "on the inside" (lol) who was able to confirm it was submitted following its Steppenwolf run, so it was ineligible this year. But your points stand, because even before this year, it was already a play that the Pulitzers chose not to award.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#272023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/8/23 at 7:23pm

Interesting how my comment was interpreted by some as complaining, when it wasn’t. It was an observation, that’s all. I feel pretty neutral about it, actually. I’m not a playwright 2023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#282023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/8/23 at 9:21pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Interesting how my comment was interpreted by some as complaining, when it wasn’t. It was an observation, that’s all. I feel pretty neutral about it, actually. I’m not a playwright 2023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions"

You could have kept your “observation” to yourself if you’re truly neutral on it.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

MadsonMelo
#292023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/8/23 at 10:42pm

Am I crazy or both ''On Sugarland'' AND ''English'' had runs that started on February 5 and finished on March 20? LOL

The Distinctive Baritone
#302023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/8/23 at 11:20pm

Kad said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "Interesting how my comment was interpreted by some as complaining, when it wasn’t. It was an observation, that’s all. I feel pretty neutral about it, actually. I’m not a playwright 2023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions"

You could have kept your “observation” to yourself if you’re truly neutral on it.
"

You could have not responded with snark if you were truly confident in yourself and didn’t need to use an internet chatboard to feel morally superior.

bear88
#312023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/9/23 at 4:00am

All So Ozmopolitan said: "SFFrontRow said: "I saw English at the Atlantic and it was playing at Berkeley Rep here in the Bay Area. Anyone think this has a chance to get a Broadway production?"

I think it's safe to assume that after this Pulitzer win (and some other notable wins/noms),English would receive a Broadway production in the coming years - especially with Atlantic's success in transferring.
"

If someone wants to bring the play to Broadway for a short run, that's up to them. But I'll say what many others have said in the past: Broadway shouldn't be the be-all, end-all for small plays like English. I saw it during its recent run at the Berkeley Rep, and a regional theater is the right size for a play like it. 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#322023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/9/23 at 7:54am

I am very happy that English won. I was rooting for it along with A Case for the Existence of God. I would definitely see both again whether on Broadway or regionally.  If English does get a transfer, my fingers are crossed that I get to see the marvelous original cast again.

mar6411
#332023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/9/23 at 8:01am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Kad said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "Interesting how my comment was interpreted by some as complaining, when it wasn’t. It was an observation, that’s all. I feel pretty neutral about it, actually. I’m not a playwright 2023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions"

"

You could have not responded with snark if you were truly confident in yourself and didn’t need to use an internet chatboard to feel morally superior.
"

Oh FFS again.  Stop while you’re behind. 

The Distinctive Baritone
#342023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/9/23 at 11:17am

mar6411 said: "Oh FFS again. Stop while you’re behind."

I still haven't given an opinion about it. What if I said it was great? Maybe I do? And maybe, like any rational person, I can simultaneously acknowledge that it's ultimately a good thing, yet be aware of the fact that the Pulitzer committee clearly has an agenda? And maybe I agree with that agenda? How do you know? All you are doing is making assumptions and being rude.

(Hint: I ultimately agree with the agenda, and was merely pointing out that they clearly have one - pointing something out is not necessarily criticizing it. Jeez.)

chrishuyen
#352023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/9/23 at 11:25am

So out of curiosity, I looked up when the Steppenwolf run of Downstate was and it seems like it would've been in contention for the 2019 Pulitzers, which was the year Fairview won (with Dance Nation and What the Constitution Means to Me as finalists).  Certainly it seems like the Pulitzer board was interested in awarding a different kind of story that year.

KevinKlawitter
#362023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/9/23 at 11:36am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "mar6411 said: "Oh FFS again. Stop while you’re behind."

I still haven't given an opinion about it. What if I said it was great? Maybe I do? And maybe, like any rational person, I can simultaneously acknowledge that it's ultimately a good thing, yet be aware of the fact that the Pulitzer committee clearly has an agenda? And maybe I agree with that agenda? How do you know? All you are doing is making assumptions and being rude.

(Hint: I ultimately agree with the agenda, and was merely pointing out that they clearly have one - pointing something out is not necessarily criticizing it. Jeez.)

"

"they clearly have an agenda" - and with that any claim you have of being 'neutral' goes out the window. Saying you 'agree' with the 'agenda' you are simply assuming they have doesn't change the fact that you're just making up an assumption about their having an agenda.

The Distinctive Baritone
#372023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/9/23 at 12:15pm

Kevin, I think we have a fundamental disagreement about what the word "agenda" means. Like, if I were President, I would definitely have an "agenda" to promote easily accessible and inexpensive healthcare for all. That's not a bad thing. Some agendas are good.

As for being "neutral" about it, I used that word to describe my feelings because compared to other things going on in the world right now, I actually don't care that much about who wins or is a finalist for The Pulitzer Prize For Drama. I have no personal stake in it.

And now I am really done talking about this since clearly some people just want to be keyboard warriors rather than have a real conversation.

Updated On: 5/9/23 at 12:15 PM

mar6411
#382023 Pulitzer Prize for Drama Predictions
Posted: 5/9/23 at 2:30pm

LOLOL

Videos