Idina's Breathing

frizzle1288 Profile Photo
frizzle1288
#25re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 1:47pm

Sheesh! You guys got me all wrong! I was just wondering if ya'll noticed it. I absolutely love Idina! She is the best thing to happen to broadway this year! She simply deserves the Tony that she got, or else she wouldn't have won. Her voice is absolutely amazing, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Sorry if it looked like I was bashing her or something. I would never do that to the best broadway singer of all time! re: Idina's Breathing

Ustadance
#26re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 1:58pm

Yo Frizzle - "the best Broadway singer of all time"....? Can you say, "Barbra Streisand"...? You can't even mention Idina's name in the same sentence, Luv.

FindingNamo
#27re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 2:09pm

Well, you can but you have to gasp between "Barbra" and "Streisand."

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

frizzle1288
#28re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 2:19pm

Okay, maybe all time is a tad bit exadurating. But she is amazing! I do love Barbra and think she is absolutely wonderful. So maybe Idina would have to be the best broadway singer of, well, the 21st century so far. That better?

FindingNamo
#29re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 2:20pm

Thats a tad bit exadurating two.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

frizzle1288
#30re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 2:25pm

Na. I don't think so. You gotta admit, she's got one heck of a voice! Who else would be considered the best of the 21st century?

ShineOn
#31re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 2:53pm

I luv u, Nemo. :)

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

Sunfish
#32re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:03pm

Hmm, Wicked 246 whatever just happens to join the day after the Tonys with a nyah nyah post. It is so fr*ggin' childish I surely hope it doesn't imply this person has anything to do with the show.

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#33re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:04pm

I think she was breathing so loudly because she was nervous...she was like crying at the beginning of Defying Gravity. She was like so excited and scared at the same time- Like a "This is It" type of attitude. She looked so happy to be performing. I love Idina!

"They hear drums. We hear music."

Tiny_Dancer Profile Photo
Tiny_Dancer
#34re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:06pm

Let the "like" comments commence!

Do Something!!!! www.one.org

VoiceofReason Profile Photo
VoiceofReason
#35re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:11pm

I have to agree that she does breathe very audibly, but man--i was watching a recording of her doing defying gravity (not tonys) and the long times between her taking those breathes compounded with the notes she sings and the volume she sings them at, makes me forget about the breaths themselves.

~m~

For heaven's sake, don't try to be cynical. It's perfectly easy to be cynical. ~The Importance of Being Earnest~

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#36re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:50pm

Tiny Dancer, why do you care?

"They hear drums. We hear music."

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#37re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:54pm

I did notice the breathing thing, but the orchestra definitley rushed it! It was so fast, compared to what it is normally. And I actually thought she was crying in the beginning-- but I understand why. It's the Tonys, she's up against 4 other amazingly talented women, she's nervous, and this was her song. But I loved the way she sang, and it's fine with me.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#38re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 3:55pm

I find this whole thread ridiculous. I was so caught up in her performance of the number that I didn't even have time to pay attention to her technique. And yes, it was quite obvious that she was nervous. I still say she gave a thrilling performance, and congrats to her!

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

enjoying_broadway
#39re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 4:00pm

Here we go again with the "technique teachers". It seems like people have forgotten what Broadway is all about, entertaiment and enjoyment.

Maybe if instead of analyzing every breath, every note, every aspect of technique some people sat back and just watched the emotion, the story, the character they'd find themselves discovering just why Menzel was voted Best Actress in a Musical.
I personally love the fact that her technique WORKS FOR HER, too bad if some voice doctors here *sigh* dont like it....

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#40re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 4:02pm

I really feel that all this critique comes down to ignorance, bitterness, and jealousy. It always does. She was fine. There was nothing absolutely disasterous about her performance, that most people in this thread feel a need to analyze her performance so. It really is annoying. I'd like them try to get up there, and belt the hell out of "Defying Gravity" LIVE in front of millions on the Tonys.

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

tennis85 Profile Photo
tennis85
#41re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 4:19pm

I DID sing DG in front of millions. Idina was lip syncin' to me. So sue me if I hit a wrong note or two. I couldn't hear from back stage......

"I'm gonna jump! Don't do it! Okay!"

Dannry
#42re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 4:30pm

Oh, come on guys. She's preformed this role hundreds of times, she's not nervous. The look you all saw in her eyes was something called acting. At that point in the show she's just had her world shattered and she's trying to decide what she's going to do.

Her breathing ALSO comes out of this thought. Her CHARACTER is very unsure and nervous about what she's doing. If y'all go back and listen to RENT you'll see that the breathing thing is not a personal trait - just her character's trait.

Sad she couldn't hold that last note, tho. re: Idina's Breathing Doing that 8 times a week isn't easy.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#43re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 4:33pm

Ustadance- Way to make yourself sound intelligent.

"Really hate to rain on Idina's Tony parade - but - the reason "Gravity" is butchered on the CD, and was again last night is because, ahem, she can't sing it."

You DO realize that on the cd the only line that she sings that is cut is "IT'S ME."

You also realize that if she couldn't sing the song they wouldn't have chosen to have her perform it at the Tonys...they would've chosen a song that included Kristin much more. The number was cut because of time.

It wasn't up to par with her normal performance. So she didn't do too well under the pressure...it certainly doesn't make her less talented. She still sold it, even if the singing wasn't all there.

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#44re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 4:46pm

Gotta love being lectured by people who joined today...

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#45re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 4:58pm

She was definitely gasping much more than she usually does. I figured she was nervous or something. But I'm so happy for her!!!

For whoever said they wanted to get in touch with her (I have no idea if you were being serious or not) I think there's a way to do that on her website... I think it's www.idinamenzel.com

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Zola Q. LaPlaya Profile Photo
Zola Q. LaPlaya
#46re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 5:02pm

Kristin and Idina have been on this board all day, either critiquing or defending Idina's Tony award and her performance last night.

If someone joined the board today and is running their trap about something dealing with Idina, chances are it's one of them. Or a freakin' stupid, lame-ass, arrogant know-it-all. In either case, just ignore them and they'll slink away.

Stop worrying about what I'm doing -- focus instead on what you're eating.

tennis85 Profile Photo
tennis85
#47re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 5:09pm

I'm not Idina, I'm her mama. Leave my girl alone re: Idina's Breathing

Ustadance
#48re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 5:35pm

Yo Broadway Girl et. al...was never critiquing her technique (she has none), nor was I remarking on anything other than her performance of that song, in toto (pardon the pun), was sub-par. Likewise, the two times I've seen it in person on stage at the Gershwin. Pitchy and screaming and if that's what passes for "emotion" I'm checkin' outta here. Add that to the nervousenss and maniacal stare (I thought good performers were supposed to be used to crowds) - you got a lousy performance. Histrionic maybe - but not fine or artfulon any level.

tennis85 Profile Photo
tennis85
#49re: Idina's Breathing
Posted: 6/7/04 at 5:38pm

Let's remember that Cheno wasn't at the top of her game last night either......

Videos