pixeltracker

** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **- Page 2

** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#25re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/8/04 at 6:36pm

Nice review! I want to see this sometime soon. From A LOT of the reviews I've read, it seems like a pretty good show.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...
Updated On: 10/8/04 at 06:36 PM

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#26re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/8/04 at 6:48pm

"Nice review! I want to see this sometime soon. From A LOT of the reviews I've read, it seems like a pretty good show."

Thanks. It's a great show

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#27re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/8/04 at 6:54pm

"To all those people that say Brooklyn is selling out...if it is selling out why is it at 64% attendance? And why when I go on telecharge can I get center ORCH and center MEZ tickets for Friday and Saturday night's shows. Sold out...HA!"

One performance sold being sold out doesn't justify the total ticket sales of the week. It depends on the circumstances of the day. For example, if it was a matinee, there might have been a lot of schools and tour groups there. It could have done great on that and one other day, but lousy on evening performances.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#28re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/8/04 at 7:32pm

To all the shills.
Brooklyn has a talented cast but that is all it has going for it.
I hope they can improve or it will close pretty fast.
Ramona Keller is fantastic so is Eden but that story.
OH AGONY.

buddha2 Profile Photo
buddha2
#29re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/8/04 at 7:38pm

I saw Bklyn, it was OK only. Weak book, great voices. But for 100.- not worth it, not Rent by far. It should have opened off-broadway.

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#30re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/8/04 at 7:57pm

I could not disagree with you two more

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#31re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/8/04 at 7:59pm

From my review to you corine2:

"Some people may not like it because they are seeing things differently. But i can understand that we all have different opinions."

read it, till you get it

Updated On: 10/8/04 at 07:59 PM

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#32re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/8/04 at 8:11pm

Wow!
I just found a connection between my two fav. shows:

Little Shop's 2003 CD was out October 21st 2003
And Brooklyn is opening October 21st 2004!

:)

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
WiCkEd4LyFfE
#34re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 11:17am

do they have the big program for Bklyn yet at the theatre?
If not, when will they?

*Kristen*

ponine24601
#35re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 11:41am

GREAT REVIEW!!!! thanks so much!

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#36re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 12:36pm

"do they have the big program for Bklyn yet at the theatre?
If not, when will they?"

They don't have a program yet, but they will soon (like every other new show). You can buy their merch. online at

http://www.theatremerchandise.com

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#37re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 12:40pm

Well, the Broadway.com *pictures* are great. This is never going to stop, is it?

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#38re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 12:48pm

It will stop, eventually.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 10/9/04 at 12:48 PM

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#39re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 12:57pm

phantom2 what is your icon of?

spence
#40re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 1:13pm

TinyToon,
I agree with you, I saw the Brooklyn last night 10/8. This was my second time. It was fantastic. The performances are over the top. Standing ovation at the end of the night. Sold out house. The show is about total entertainment. They have made some changes over the past few weeks. If you just enjoy the cast and music and don't get crazy over the story line, it is a GREAT evenings entertainment. I am going back in November.

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#41re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 1:18pm

Hey spence!
I'm going back in November too :)

Trisky Profile Photo
Trisky
#42re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 1:24pm

I was also at this particular performance of Brooklyn and my fondest wish after about the first five minutes of the show was that somehow, someway they would toss me out the noose that one of the characters commits suicide with, so that I could follow suit. Is this why there isn't an intermission, so people won't leave in the middle of it?

I quite literally had to take Excedrin as soon as I walked out of the theater.

I know that seems harsh but I just couldn't get past how totally incomprehensible the book is (and how elementary school the dialogue is "sometimes tears can make roses bloom", oy vey), how something that purports itself to be a fairytale includes a heroin addict, flashbacks to Vietnam and killing people, suicide, preachy speeches about what's wrong with America, etc. If they had said from the outset it was a Grimm fairytale that'd be one thing, but when they set it up so that it's a Disney-esque "magical" type deal, then I expect something a wee bit different. I don't understand how a show that can use the words "cunnilingus" in a song can't say "mother****er" (as one of the punchlines to a "joke").

The cardboard boxes some of the set pieces are scrawled on seemed to have more dimension than any character on the stage. What is the character arc in this show? How does anyone change, grow, devolve? They all start off one way and that's exactly how they end without a blink in between. One is pure angelic goodness, one is "bad" (if having an attitude and being selfish is considered "bad", I suppose) and the rest are so inconsequential I'm not sure they count as total characters.

I found the audience to be rather subdued, considering how people have mentioned standing ovations in the middle of the show or applause so loud it stopped the show. I kept waiting for that to happen and it didn't.

It's a shame because the performers are obviously much, much better than this material (singing wise, at least, acting - some of them, not so much). If this had perhaps just been a concert of songs, it wouldn't have been very memorable music, but it wouldn't have had the added onus of the book to drag it down either.

I don't know that I've ever clapped harder at the end of a show, but that was because I was just grateful it was over.

"Too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run" - Jeff Buckley

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#43re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 5:48pm

It's always amusing to me when someone *real* was at a particular performance of a show that the "you know whats" keep going on about, with standing ovations, spontaneous applause, sold house house, et al, and then it's completely refuted. Gives me a chukle, not just this show, so no need for the "Wicklyn's" to get their panties in a bunch.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#44re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 5:52pm

Oh, Al. "Wicklyns"? I'm stealing that and using it as my own.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#45re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 5:52pm

o.k. but make sure you send me my royalty check now and again.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#46re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 5:55pm

Will do!

Oh, and Tiny-Toon the box office suddenly has a ton of orchestra seats for next week if you wanted to go again.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#47re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 6:58pm

Odd that you say they are sold out for most shows.

How come they're up on TKTS everyday?

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

doitagain
#48re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 7:07pm

Guys, guys, guys. Listening to Eden sing her face off is just incredible and the rest of the cast is fantastic, too. However, i just shake my head at the overall production. Could they possibly throw anything else in your face or cram one more cliche into the two hours? The music itself isnt wholly terrible, but the lyrics are heinous- and in most cases make little or no sense. I realize not everyone is a Sondheim, but these are just crazy. I am saddened by the lack of intelligence in theatre as of late- how can we allow bway to go from the creative, witty, and downright smart lyrics of Caroline, or Change to "heart behind these hands"...i mean, what hands? he never used his hands...and thats just the tip of the giant heart made of protective roadway barrier. The vocals and harmony are incredible and musical arrangements wonderful to listen to, but i just think there was a genuine lack of thinking when they wrote the lyrics. Also, i might add that a lack of intermission could have been purposeful for more than one reason...and lucky for them, it worked.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#49re: ** Brooklyn The Musical - 10/7 My Review **
Posted: 10/9/04 at 11:41pm

Boy with blue hair.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Videos