Joanna Gleason

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#25re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 11:40pm

Raith, I can just imagine.

I love Ms. Gleason. She's a terrific actress, and a wonderful singer. But wowee, was she terrible in NICK AND NORA.

Not her fault, of course. Laurents' musicalization of NORA was so off base, no one could have made that character palatable.

At one of the previews I saw, there were so many walkouts that the house was nearly half empty for the second act. When Gleason took to the stage and sang her 11 o'clock number (or in this case her 12:45 number... Jesus, that show was endless) "Let's Go Home," the guy sitting behind me yelled out "EVERYBODY ALREADY DID!"

Dare2DefyGravity
#26re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 11:41pm

Joanna and Sherie Rene Scott would be the only things to drag me to DRS. I have a feeling she'll get rave reviews, it's in her nature. Her performance in Into the Woods was so comedic and exact, and that's what made it so warm and raving. Gleason and Bernie made that show.

eatlasagna
#27re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/2/05 at 2:41am

i loved Joanna when she guest starred on FRIENDS as Rachel's bitchy boss... haha... she makes me laugh!

Jon
#28re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/2/05 at 7:39am

Sonheim or Lapine (I can't remember which) described the Baker and his wife as "this couple from a Woody Allen movie that somehow wandered into a fairy tale". Zien and Gleason played it that way exactly. In the revival, the actors seemed much more bland, middle-American. I missed the falvor of the original.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#29re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/2/05 at 3:46pm

More than the humour, though, it's Gleason's dramatic moments as the Baker's Wife that makes her memorable (although she has PERFECT comic timing). The scene in Act II where she temporarily lashes out at Zien is heartbreaking.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

BwayLeadman
#30re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/3/05 at 1:57am

Was she nominated/or won Best Actress in a Musical for Into the Woods?
I loved her.
The last time I saw her was in an episode of F*r*i*e*n*d*s.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#31re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/3/05 at 3:11am

she won!

one of the best decisions from the tony committee ever

thetheatregirlinside Profile Photo
thetheatregirlinside
#32re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/3/05 at 6:03am

I was watching reruns of The West Wing and there she was. I guess she guest starred for awhile. She is such a great performer. She steals every scene she is in.

pattifan2
#33re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/3/05 at 11:37am

Now wouldn't she do a wonderful Mama Rose?

...fragment of the day...

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#34re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/3/05 at 11:48am

Unfortunately, I missed her in The Normal Heart and saw her replacement (who didn't "shine" until the board committee monologue), and was disapointed that I missed her. But, I will not miss DRS, as I have no desire to see it, except that Sherie and Joanna are both in it. Do you all remember Joanna as Phil Drummond's love interest on Different Strokes? And let's not forget FX2.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

joannagleason.com Profile Photo
joannagleason.com
#35re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/3/05 at 12:16pm

Hi there, I'm the crazy person who runs www.joannagleason.com and I would love to have all of you guys join our group all about the great actress: Joanna Gleason.

I'd love to hear your stories about seeing her in person, or more about her after the reviews came in for Nick & Nora.

I'm always looking for more information for the site so any information would be great.

For those of you who may be more new to being a Joanna-fan, check out the Bio I wrote for her, it is the same Bio used on this site.
joannagleason.com

Videos