Joanna Gleason

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#0Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 6:34pm

Anyone else love her? She was riveting in THE NORMAL HEART and her remarkable performance in INTO THE WOODS makes the Baker's Wife the most interesting character in the show.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 1/1/05 at 06:34 PM

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#1re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 6:37pm

I do! REALLY looking foward for the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels CD!

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!
Updated On: 1/1/05 at 06:37 PM

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#2re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 6:48pm

She certainly was the stand-out in the brilliant ITW cast. She brought such humanity and humor to that role; as definitive as Lansbury's Lovett.

I have tickets for DRS for Spring. re: Joanna Gleason

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
#3re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 6:50pm

*puts hand up*

what a fantastic performer. There are times (especially in ITW) where i forget she is acting. Pure brilliance.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#4re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 6:51pm

Is that why people are so prepped to see DRS? I didn't know she was in the cast; NOW I'm interested. re: Joanna Gleason

I find Joanna so natural onstage; you really do forget she's delivering a performance.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 1/1/05 at 06:51 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 6:51pm

ooooh I LOVE HER! When I heard she was doing The Normal Heart, I was all excited because i'm a really big Friends fan, but she blew my mind. Really excited for DRS.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
#6re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 7:03pm

Joanna and Chip were the perfect contrast onstage. fantastic stuff to watch. In fact, im inspired now to pull out the ol'e DVD. re: Joanna Gleason

thibodeaux Profile Photo
thibodeaux
#7re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 8:35pm

Well, she all ready had a beautifully defined character; if you ask me, I think she was Sondheim's favorite character. And I think the story is about her, in a way.

I would almost consider her "the lead".

But maybe that's just me? re: Joanna Gleason

whatever and ever amen - ben folds five

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
#8re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 8:41pm

we'll the 'tony's' certainly thought so...

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#9re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 8:54pm

I LOVED her in ITW.. but I thought Chip rubbed of some of his stupidness on her. Without Chip Joanna would be 1000% funnier

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#10re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 8:55pm

Absolutely the best Bakers Wife ever. I also saw her being wonderful in "I Love My Wife" and "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever", and what about that performance in "Boogie Nights" as Mark Wahlberg's mother? Amazing!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#11re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 8:58pm

Beautiful, fabulous voice and passion to go with it, and just charismatic onstage.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BWayBoy88
#12re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 9:13pm

I love Joanna Gleason. She was absolutly perfect as the Baker's Wife and I can't wait to see DRS.

shermanslave Profile Photo
shermanslave
#13re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 9:30pm

did anyone else know that her father is Monty Hall from Let's Make a Deal?? I was watching it once on the Gameshow Network and he introduced her in the audience when she looked about 18 years old.

Please visit Bitchy Waiter

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#14re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 9:33pm

I love Joanna Gleeson. No one is more deserving of the Tony than she was. All I can say is the Tony Voters were on drugs that year, except in three categories (Best Score, Best Book, Best Actress - Joanna Gleeson!)

In ITW she is the Queen of one-liners! Her performance is delivered with a wonderful amount of heart, humour, insightfulness, intelligence and passion. What more could we ask for?

And it was bloody well-sung too!

Oh and BlueWizard, your new avatar is simply divine. re: Joanna Gleason

Broadway_Bound_Star Profile Photo
Broadway_Bound_Star
#15re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 9:39pm

I think ITW should have got more then three, they were just so awesome.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#16re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 9:40pm

She deserves a hit after her suffering in Nick & Nora which I saw her in

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 1/1/05 at 09:40 PM

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#17re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 9:42pm

Loved her in ITW!

#18re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 9:43pm

I just finished watching ITW. Everytime I hear her sing 'No one is Alone (Reprise)' I cry. Maybe that is because I'm an emotional basketcase, but she deserves some merit for this.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#19re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 9:43pm

I was at the opening night party for NICK AND NORA. One of the most heartbreaking sights I've ever seen is Gleason in tears at her table when the reviews came in.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
#20re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 9:47pm

Bring on 'Dirty Rotten'. Cant Wait!

Plum
#21re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 9:48pm

Her characterization in Into the Woods just popped out at me from the OBC recording. It's one of the most vivid characters I have purely on CD.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#22re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 9:51pm

I agree, Plum. But that is partly due to the nature of the score. While all Sondheim lyrics tell a story, Into the Woods (being the fairytale musical) seem to tell the story that little bit better. Partly due to the familiarity we all have with the fairytales.

Joanna's characterisation is flawless!

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#23re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 10:45pm

It's so wonderful to see such affection for Joanna Gleason. I'm also so very grateful that her performance as the Baker's Wife is preserved on DVD -- remarkable work. The sustained ovation she receives after "Moments in the Woods" is much deserved (as is her Tony!).

Here's a link I found of a blog she was writing for Broadway.com of her road trip across the US with her husband. I believe it was written just last month.
Wagons Ho!

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
#24re: Joanna Gleason
Posted: 1/1/05 at 11:05pm

Did anyone catch her in The Wedding Planner? I got the best suprise when I saw the trailor, but EEEK what a shockin movie. That was the first time I had ever purposely went to bed, without seeing the ending of a film. Speaking of 'Broadway Greats' in bad romantic comedy's. Dana Ivey in Two Weeks Notice.

sounds like a thread of it's own. Updated On: 1/1/05 at 11:05 PM

Videos