Black Glinda?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#25re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:26pm

Exactly, I am with you on your last RENT comment.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Derek
#26re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:28pm

I have a feeling Megan Hilty will be the next Glinda and she I think is white, but after that...who knows?

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#27re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:31pm

Did anyone think of Star "Bridzilla" Jones when they read this post? Remember Halloween on The View?

BSoBW2
#28re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:32pm

Munk, by your logic, Radames should be dark skinned - like Egyptians....

But more than ANYTHING, a black person with blonde hair wouldn't look right....

"unusually, and exceedingly peculiar, and all together quite impossible to describe"............"weaved"

RumTumTugger22 Profile Photo
RumTumTugger22
#29re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:33pm

I think it could work. I mean didn't like Toni Braxton play Belle. It would totally work.

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

me101 Profile Photo
me101
#30re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:34pm

>>and I agree with the whole "White Aida" statement. It is funny how (I would assume) if someone who is white was cast in a traditionally black role in which race is not an issue (say...Benny or Collins in Rent), people would be up in arms...but if the reverse were to happen and people spoke out they would be called racist.

Because its about diversity. It's not diversity if everyone on-stage is white, and its also not diversity if everyone onstage is black either; but lets face it, the former happens a whole lot more than the latter. People are "up in arms" becasue there already aren't enough roles for black people, and that just takes away the whole principle of diversity in the cast.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, but it's kind of hard to find the words.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. -Dorothy Parker

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#31re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:35pm

yeah...this shouldn't even be an issue

BsoBw~HAHAHAHAHHAA

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

munkustrap178
#32re: Black Glinda?

BSO: Me saying that Aida must be black isn't my personal logic - it's what is true. Radames doesn't have to be dark skinned. Not at all.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Derek
#33re: Black Glinda?

I actually think the opposite...well not completely...but nowadays there are more roles for black people I think.

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#34re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:37pm

AIDA IS A NUBIAN PRINCESS....there weren't any white nubian princesses....that is a historical fact, dealing with ethnicity....glinda being blonde won't offend anyone...just slap a wig on that girl!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

TVBoy Profile Photo
TVBoy
#35re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:37pm

BSoBW2, you are way off in your analogy of Wicked's Glinda to Aida. 100 credibility points deducted...

I actually passed an African American lady in the mall the other day who, apparently, dyed her hair blonde. It was different -- definitely caught my attention, but she pulled it off, with confidence.

Hey... Big (Black) Blonde and Beautiful... go for it! re: Black Glinda?

"I'm not a catcher! I'm a piano player!" -- Schroeder from "Peanuts" ----- http://www.facebook.com/p/Brandon_Bartlett/500719306

me101 Profile Photo
me101
#36re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:38pm

>>but nowadays there are more roles for black people I think.

More than ever before, your right, but more doesn't mean enough

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. -Dorothy Parker

munkustrap178
#37re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:38pm

There's no point in comparing how many white and black actors there are, or white roles vs. black roles. There will always be something to complain about and something for someone to call racist.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#38re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:39pm

I must admit...Wicked has a VERY diverse ensemble. They try to get as many ethnicities in that chorus as possible.

BSoBW2
#39re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:42pm

munk - You said that Aida is from Nubia - meaning she's black. Egyptians aren't whit like, say, Adam Pascal, or Jeremy Kushnier, or Richard Blake....they are darker....

(I just want everyone to know I'm not racist....)

In theatre we have this "willing suspension of disbelief." Why can't everyone onstage in Aida be white or everyone be black? It's mainly because the audience doesn't want to have to think that way. It is a lot easier to get the point across by having whites and blacks. But, lo and behold, in the end, some of the Nubians were played by white men.....

This leads me to The Wiz.....Technically, it could have a whole white cast, act black, etc. This would never happen because The Wiz was written for BLACK people....

Anyway, if they want to make a "Black" version of Wicked called Evilene, let them....

me101 Profile Photo
me101
#40re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:42pm

>>There will always be something to complain about and something for someone to call racist.

I'm not calling a single person racist, I'm not complaining either, I'm just stating that it is not equal and thats not OK

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#41re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:43pm

Glinda has to be white.

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#42re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:44pm

why, bronx?

give me ONE legit reason.

awkward.

munkustrap178
#43re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:44pm

It doesn't matter! And I'm sure they didn't cast them because they were black just so people can say "look there's a black woman in the show!" I don't understand why people always make racism an issue where it's really not?

What you own: I'm not attacking you or adressing you at all, but I'm just curious as to why people continutally find the need to say "look at all the african-americans in this show!" as if they had to prove they weren't racist. I don't know, the whole issue usually makes me very angry because people can be very pig-headed about it, including me.

#44re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:46pm

no, glinda has to be blonde.

as per the lyrics.

Theres been some confusion (over rooming here at Shiz) for you see my roomate is...
glinda: Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and all together quite impossible to describe.
elphaba: Blonde. Updated On: 2/1/05 at 10:46 PM

BSoBW2
#45re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:46pm

munk - it actrually is an issue, whether you like it or not....racism doesn't only affect school admission (affirmative action) but also affects jobs - INCLUDING acting....

TV, I wasn't really comparing Wicked to Aida...all I was saying is that Theatre is all about "make believe" and "thinking outside the box." We shouldn't let the actual color of a person's skin keep them from jobs. Unfortunately, this will ALWAYS happen.

Glinda could be blue for all I care.

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#46re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:47pm

Well I agree that, while it could be done, I dont think it would look very natural to just use a blonde wig etc. Now I'm not trying to be racist in any way, and I think if they found a singer who had the talent for the show who happened to be black then by all means, go for it. After all, Taye Diggs played Fiyero for a while and that worked out perfectly fine. I could see how a show like Aida would have to have stricter guidlines but Wicked is a show that really doesnt require much more then a green Elphaba and a blonde Galinda.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#47re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:48pm

Because I am racist. No. Because Glinda is blonde and there are no blonde black women. The only way it could be a black woman is if it was Brenda Braxton. I would pay anything to see that babe on stage. Updated On: 2/1/05 at 10:48 PM

MissEmilyArden
#48re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:48pm

If they find an amazing black woman to play Glinda... CAST HER! They would have to deal with the jokes and such from there...

me101 Profile Photo
me101
#49re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/1/05 at 10:49pm

>>It doesn't matter!

what doesn't?

>>And I'm sure they didn't cast them because they were black just so people can say "look there's a black woman in the show!"

I didn't say that, I meant people of different ethnicities are cast so that there can be diversity. As a person who is biracial, I feel good when I see a black person onstage, becasue I feel like I'm being represented. I wouldn't mind seeing a show with all white performers, heck, I've seen many, and completely enjoyed them. But as a person of a certain race, I do appreciate when there's someone who looks like me onstage.

Videos