pixeltracker

Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East- Page 2

Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#25re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/28/06 at 12:55am

Good explanations, except for this:

"I believe it is implied that when Fiyero becomes the scarecrow, he loses his brain, ie all his memories. That is why he has no clue what is happening. When the Wizard 'gives' back his brain, its then that he remembers the hiding place of Elphaba and runs back to get her. "

If he loses his memory, who gives Elphaba the note that states the plan? I think the play clearly implies that Fyero sent her that note, explaining what was going on. When Elphie comes out, she expected Fyero to find her.

Besides, the wizard doesn't have any real powers. He doesn't give Scarecrow a brain (just a diploma), and doesn't have any magical powers to return his memory.

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#26re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/28/06 at 1:03am

Yeah that is true. Fiyero must have sent her that note. To try to solve this mystery, I can think of a line from Son of the Witch that may help, albiet not verbatim: "The Scarecrow listened intentively, as if he did indeed had some shred of intellegence".
Maquire hints very much that the scarecrow is not as brainless as everyone believes. Perhaps Fiyero simply lied to Dorothy in order to get back to Elphaba, help insure her 'melting' occurs and then run away with her. The scarecrow that becomes King of Oz is said in SoW to be an imposter, a tool of the bankers.

Updated On: 1/28/06 at 01:03 AM

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#27re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/28/06 at 1:06am

The Movie, Book and Musical do not mesh completely in all elements.

Some things are inferred, or implied, or just ignored for the sake of the story.

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#28re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/28/06 at 1:07am

So true but it's fun (and ultimately pointless) to try!

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#29re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/28/06 at 2:00am

Yeah, I know some things simply don't fit into the movie. But, like you said, it's fun to try to find the answers, or justifications to these sort of things.

The impostor Scarecrow thing's interesting...Gonna have to read that book!

PJ
#30re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/28/06 at 2:12am

For some reason, Shoshana didn't always do Elphaba's chanting during that part in Wicked Witch of the East.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#31re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/28/06 at 8:30am

Also, you can think that there is a lot of time between two scenes during the second act for example:

If you give Boq the time to rust, Fyero will have the time to calm down.
Updated On: 1/28/06 at 08:30 AM

Tap16 Profile Photo
Tap16
#32re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/28/06 at 4:19pm

I luv the wicked witch of the East. I think Michelle sang it the best, but i also liked the way shoshana sang it when she was nessa.

Fae_Lynn_Shipper
#33re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 2/22/06 at 5:21pm

1. Why would the Munchkins tell Dorothy to follow the yellow brick road when there's a train that takes you to the Esmerald City? Fyero knew about it, so why not suggest that to Dorothy when he meets her as "scarecrow". Maybe they just didn't have enough cash for a ticket...

Well, according to the book, the train runs from the Gillikin to EC, with Shiz as a stop inbetween. There's no railroad in Munchkinland...only the Yellow Brick Road. I guess the play goes with that.

2. Fyero is turned into a Scarecrow AFTER Dorothy has already landed on Oz. So,when Dorothy meets him, he's pretty much been a scarecrow for a short time, right? Why isn't Fyero more freaked out? He seems pretty mellow about being a scarecrow. And you'd think complaining about the lack of brain would be the LEAST of his worries...Plus, he knows the wizard's a sham...why encourage Dorothy to go visit him? It seems a rather elaborate way to go about his plan of escaping with Elphaba.

Well, in the BOOK, "Wicked" (I've yet to read "Son of a Witch"), they never ACTUALLY say that Fiyero is the scarecrow, so I don't know. In the PLAY, though, I suppose that since he knew the wizard would send her to Elphaba, since he's a sham and all, Fiyero figured the least he could do was tag along. No, he didn't lose his brain. And in the play, he's already talked to Elphaba AFTER he's a scarecrow and AFTER Dorthy meets him. (I guess he snuck away?) I remember this only because earlier he tells her she's beautiful TO HIM and, once he's a scarecrow, she tells him the same thing. I suppose that's when they decide to let Dorothy go to the Wizard.

3. The Tin Man seems pretty mellow for someone who's so pissed off at the witch... And just when does the witch hunting scene take place? The Tin Man's rusting when Dorothy meets him. And he hadn't yet met the lion. So, when Dorothy was kidnapped, Bock and Lion somehow found time to join an angry mob? And why not wait for the mob, instead of entering the castle by themselves?

Well, the mob scene is after Dorothy is snagged by Chistery, in the play and such. In the book, there is no mob. In the play, The Tin Man is VERY angry, actually. And in the book the Tin Man isn't mad at Elphaba because A) it isn't Boq and B) Nessa IS a witch and is the one who TRULY turned him into a Tin Man and he knows that.

4. At the end of Wicked, when Glinda is confronting Morrible and the wizard, they say something to the effect of "they're all happy with their hearts, brains and courage". So the scene in the movie with the Wizard has already passed by this point. In the movie, the wizard tells Dorothy that he's going back to Kansas, and she can fly with him. But in Wicked, it's Glinda who banishes the wizard from Oz, AFTER that scene. So...what gives?

He hasn't TRIED to leave yet. She confronts the Wizard in the brief time between when the Wizard tells Dorothy "We'll leave together." and when he actually gets into the balloon. In the book, however, DOROTHY brings the Wizard the bottle, as proof of Elphaba's death, and it causes the Wizard to flee.

5. Why on earth would Glinda believe that Elphie was killed by a bucket of water? They were roomates, so surely she knows Elphie showered. And she knows Elphaba's not really evil, so she wouldn't buy into the whole "she's so evil pure water will melt her" thing. The girl can't be THAT ditzy, can she?

In the book, she is TRULY allergic to water. So, Glinda knows it can kill her. And in the book, Dorothy wasn't told to "melt" the witch. Elphaba catches on fire, and in an attempt to save her, Dorothy throws water on her and accidentally causes her death; she feels badly about it in the book. In the play, well, Glinda is a total airhead. Much different from the book, that's for sure! I can't explain her behavior in the play, mostly because she's just unexplainable. However, there IS the fact that Glinda wasn't there when Dorothy was told to melt her. The only time it's said before Glinda, she's a BIT preoccupied by her engagement and Fiyero running off.

6. Am I mistaken, or does the Wizard name Scarecrow as his successor? I know Scarecrow becomes King of Oz in the books, but I'm pretty sure they allude to that in the movie as well. Well, I guess maybe Fyero just ran away with Elphie after that. So, the whole witch is dead celebration happens AFTER Dorothy gets back to Kansas, right?. Still seems rather incongruous to me.

In the play? I don't believe that in the play they mention it at all. In the first book, "Wicked", it isn't said, either. I suppose it's mentioned in "Son of a Witch", if at all, but I don't know. In the play, Fiyero and Elphaba don't run away, they hide out in Kiamo Ko, since no one else is there, and everyone else thinks them both dead. Yes, the celebration is AFTER Dorothy leaves. Though in the book, no one's REALLY sure that Dorothy ACTUALLY left. I mean, the shoes couldn't have sent her home. Their only power was to let Nessarose walk, after all...

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#34re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 2/22/06 at 7:05pm

She calls herself a witch because she deserves it. Alone and lovely here, just the girl in the mirror, just her and me; the wicked witch of the east. We deserve eachother.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#35re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 2/22/06 at 11:44pm

Tap16- I like this song too. I think Cristy Candler sang it better.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Videos