pixeltracker

Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East

Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East

Derech2
#0Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/18/05 at 11:14pm

Does anyone know what Elphaba is singing in Wicked Witch of the East when Nessa sings "alone and loveless here / just the girl in the mirror / just her a me / wicked witch of the East"? I can hear her singing something in the background but can't understand it. Thanks.

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#1re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/18/05 at 11:16pm

Is that when she is reciting the spell?

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

Derech2
#2re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/18/05 at 11:25pm

No, unless she is reciting some other spell. It's after Nessa tries to spell Baq and Elphaba turns him into tin and puts him to sleep. It didn't sound like spell words though.

Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde.

WickedRentHead
#3re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/18/05 at 11:30pm

Im pretty certain that she IS reciting a spell. I mean shes in the background reading out of the book and then Boq is different right after and I havent been able to make out any distinct words so, yeah I would say its a spell but feel free to prove me wrong

Parks
#4re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/18/05 at 11:30pm

Yes-she is reciting another spell. She is reciting it to get Boq to survive (without a heart-because he lost it when Nessa didn't say the spell correctly).

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#5re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/19/05 at 12:30am

She chants :"Ah-san-tu-room, ah-san-tu-room ree ree
ra-mu-tu-room ra-neh pe-meh-hoom" with Nessa overlapping.

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

BSoBW2
#6re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/19/05 at 1:27am

Just another spell.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#7re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/19/05 at 3:09am

What I don't understand is, how come Nessa calls herself (and is later known) as the Wicked Witch of the East, if she has only cast one spell? And then why do her feet shrivel up after she dies? (And don't tell me that WICKED is based solely on the book, because it clearly plays with the iconography of the WOZ movie -- Elphaba even remarks that her sister's shoes are all she has to remember her by.)

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

brandonm
#8re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/19/05 at 8:52am

she probably calls herself a wicked witch because she's mad and frustrated at everyone....that's my quess....obviously im not sure

"Let the little girl go, and that poor little dog? Dodo." That's my favorite line in the whole show (Wicked). My next favorite line is "Oh! It seems the artichoke is steamed."

Parks
#9re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/19/05 at 8:59am

Because she was stripping the munchkins of their rights. I don't think it is in the show anymore...I think it was in the SF show where Elphaba comes in and says that she has heard of some Wicked Witch stripping the munchkins of their rights-which she then realizes is Nessarose. She wasn't necesarilly a witch-but the citizens of Munchkinland hated her so they called her that name.

The SF Wicked Witch of the East scene was weird. Nessa was like...bi-polar. She wasn't mad at Elphaba at first, but then she got REALLY mad at her for nothing. Kinda strange.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA
Updated On: 3/19/05 at 08:59 AM

ashley0139
#10re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/19/05 at 9:43am

I don't know if this is the answer you wanted, but it is explained much more in the book. As parks said, she was stripping munchkins of their rights with her high position. I don't know, I don't really remember but it does explain it in the book.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

sassypanz
#11re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/19/05 at 10:34am

Nessarose: Save him, please!
JUST SAVE HIM, MY POOR BOQ, MY SWEET MY BRAVE,
DON’T LEAVE ME ‘TIL MY SORRY LIFE HAS CEASED…
Elphaba Wheels The Chair Out, Which Is Not Facing The Audience And Is Seen Casting A Spell.
ALL ALONE AND LOVELESS HERE
JUST THE GIRL IN THE MIRROR
JUST HER AND ME! THE WICKED WITCH OF THE EAST!
WE DESERVE EACH OTHER…

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#12re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/19/05 at 12:31pm

That makes sense, but it still doesn't explain why Nessa would shrivel up after the ruby slippers are taken from her.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

wickedfiyeroofoz Profile Photo
wickedfiyeroofoz
#13re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 3/19/05 at 10:17pm

I wish the song would have been a full length song re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East ....I wish nessa had a bigger character!

How can they see with sequins in their eyes?

Tap16 Profile Photo
Tap16
#14re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/27/06 at 9:14pm

hey BroomstickBoy, how'd you find out those lyrics?

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#15re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/27/06 at 9:17pm

Nessa is a total bitch by that scene and is a horrid person to her sister. She uses Elphaba's gift of mobility to cause evil. She has limited rights and has performed many "unoztitutional" (hahah) things to the Munchkins because of Boq.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Overthemoon6 Profile Photo
Overthemoon6
#16re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/27/06 at 9:18pm

Go here. It has the whole script.

Edit; Sorry, I didn't realize that was not something that I should put up...:)

And then, do you know Monseiur Marius, I believe I was a little in love with you.
♥♥♥
Updated On: 1/28/06 at 09:18 PM

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#17re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/27/06 at 9:19pm

The SF Wicked Witch of the East scene was weird. Nessa was like...bi-polar. She wasn't mad at Elphaba at first, but then she got REALLY mad at her for nothing. Kinda strange.

I recently, on Broadway, saw Megan Sikora play the role and she was ultra sweet in the first act and then out of no where she turns around with "LOST YOUR HEART?!" So the transition must be there or the character is lost.

Nessa, like Elphaba, is hardened by what has happened. To Nessa's love life and to Oz in general.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Tap16 Profile Photo
Tap16
#18re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/27/06 at 9:20pm

Who made this script? like how'd they get all of it?

greenegirl87
#19re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/27/06 at 9:24pm

Pretty much every show's libretto is online these days. I don't know how exactly they get them, although probably illegal, it's not at all uncommon.

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

Tap16 Profile Photo
Tap16
#20re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/27/06 at 9:37pm

well any way, i luv that song and i luv when they sing together.

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#21re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/27/06 at 9:38pm

I PM'd her to take down the link.

Due to copyrights.

The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#22re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/27/06 at 10:43pm

I always thought that it was through bitterness as well as hatred that turned Nessa into The Wicked Witch of the East. When she calls herself that though, she just realizes that who she has been living for, her slave, since collage has just deserted her, and confessed that he never even enjoyed her company and only served her as a favor to the girl he truly loved. And she has never really truly been happy, for all her life she was expected to do somthing, and she has finally had enough.

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#23re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/27/06 at 11:38pm

Since we're on Wicked/WOZ logic flaws, here's a few I've never quite understood (and, yes I realize I'm being nitpicky):

1. Why would the Munchkins tell Dorothy to follow the yellow brick road when there's a train that takes you to the Esmerald City? Fyero knew about it, so why not suggest that to Dorothy when he meets her as "scarecrow". Maybe they just didn't have enough cash for a ticket...

2. Fyero is turned into a Scarecrow AFTER Dorothy has already landed on Oz. So,when Dorothy meets him, he's pretty much been a scarecrow for a short time, right? Why isn't Fyero more freaked out? He seems pretty mellow about being a scarecrow. And you'd think complaining about the lack of brain would be the LEAST of his worries...Plus, he knows the wizard's a sham...why encourage Dorothy to go visit him? It seems a rather elaborate way to go about his plan of escaping with Elphaba.

3. The Tin Man seems pretty mellow for someone who's so pissed off at the witch... And just when does the witch hunting scene take place? The Tin Man's rusting when Dorothy meets him. And he hadn't yet met the lion. So, when Dorothy was kidnapped, Bock and Lion somehow found time to join an angry mob? And why not wait for the mob, instead of entering the castle by themselves?

4. At the end of Wicked, when Glinda is confronting Morrible and the wizard, they say something to the effect of "they're all happy with their hearts, brains and courage". So the scene in the movie with the Wizard has already passed by this point. In the movie, the wizard tells Dorothy that he's going back to Kansas, and she can fly with him. But in Wicked, it's Glinda who banishes the wizard from Oz, AFTER that scene. So...what gives?

5. Why on earth would Glinda believe that Elphie was killed by a bucket of water? They were roomates, so surely she knows Elphie showered. And she knows Elphaba's not really evil, so she wouldn't buy into the whole "she's so evil pure water will melt her" thing. The girl can't be THAT ditzy, can she?

6. Am I mistaken, or does the Wizard name Scarecrow as his successor? I know Scarecrow becomes King of Oz in the books, but I'm pretty sure they allude to that in the movie as well. Well, I guess maybe Fyero just ran away with Elphie after that. So, the whole witch is dead celebration happens AFTER Dorothy gets back to Kansas, right?. Still seems rather incongruous to me.

I'm not looking for real answers, just entertaining justifications.

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#24re: Elphaba in Wicked Witch of the East
Posted: 1/28/06 at 12:48am

I'll take a stab at this.

1. Why would the Munchkins tell Dorothy to follow the yellow brick road when there's a train that takes you to the Esmerald City? Fyero knew about it, so why not suggest that to Dorothy when he meets her as "scarecrow". Maybe they just didn't have enough cash for a ticket...
There is no train from Munchkinland to the Emerald City. The train runs from EC to Shiz to the Northern Uplands. If I remember correctly, the distance from Munchkinland to Shiz and the EC is about the same.

2. Fyero is turned into a Scarecrow AFTER Dorothy has already landed on Oz. So,when Dorothy meets him, he's pretty much been a scarecrow for a short time, right? Why isn't Fyero more freaked out? He seems pretty mellow about being a scarecrow. And you'd think complaining about the lack of brain would be the LEAST of his worries...Plus, he knows the wizard's a sham...why encourage Dorothy to go visit him? It seems a rather elaborate way to go about his plan of escaping with Elphaba.
I believe it is implied that when Fiyero becomes the scarecrow, he loses his brain, ie all his memories. That is why he has no clue what is happening. When the Wizard 'gives' back his brain, its then that he remembers the hiding place of Elphaba and runs back to get her.

3. The Tin Man seems pretty mellow for someone who's so pissed off at the witch... And just when does the witch hunting scene take place? The Tin Man's rusting when Dorothy meets him. And he hadn't yet met the lion. So, when Dorothy was kidnapped, Bock and Lion somehow found time to join an angry mob? And why not wait for the mob, instead of entering the castle by themselves?
One could argue that after running away from Nessa, Boq hid out in the forest because of the effects of the spell. Then he could have rusted. The march of witch hunters scene is supposed to take place after Dorothy is kidnapped by the flying monkeys. I suppose the stage version is telling us that the SC, The Tin Man, and the Lion met up with the crowd as they marched off from EC and to Kiamo Ko.

4. At the end of Wicked, when Glinda is confronting Morrible and the wizard, they say something to the effect of "they're all happy with their hearts, brains and courage". So the scene in the movie with the Wizard has already passed by this point. In the movie, the wizard tells Dorothy that he's going back to Kansas, and she can fly with him. But in Wicked, it's Glinda who banishes the wizard from Oz, AFTER that scene. So...what gives?
Its never implied that Dorothy is gone at that point. He could have been lying to her. Once Glinda exposes him after, he makes good on his word and leaves.

5. Why on earth would Glinda believe that Elphie was killed by a bucket of water? They were roomates, so surely she knows Elphie showered. And she knows Elphaba's not really evil, so she wouldn't buy into the whole "she's so evil pure water will melt her" thing. The girl can't be THAT ditzy, can she?
Elphaba never showers in Wicked the book. She bathes herself in sweet oils to keep herself clean. Galinda as her roommate would know that. As for believing water would melt her...well...she was there when she 'melted' and since she was gone after, Galinda probably just assumed it really killed her.

6. Am I mistaken, or does the Wizard name Scarecrow as his successor? I know Scarecrow becomes King of Oz in the books, but I'm pretty sure they allude to that in the movie as well. Well, I guess maybe Fyero just ran away with Elphie after that. So, the whole witch is dead celebration happens AFTER Dorothy gets back to Kansas, right?. Still seems rather incongruous to me.
Read Son of the Witch. Interesting tidbits were written by Maguire.
Updated On: 1/28/06 at 12:48 AM

Videos