pixeltracker

Munk's comments on ALTAR BOYZ- Page 2

Munk's comments on ALTAR BOYZ

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#25Emcee on Altar Boyz
Posted: 4/27/05 at 11:42pm

Guys, with all due respect, I did say that I had a good time, and I mean it when I say I think it's GREAT that the show has such devoted fans, but I hardly said that it was the worst thing I'd ever seen. Very far from, in fact. I mean, I feel like this reaction is one that I should be getting if I had said that I hated it, and that it was complete crap... that I was bored out of my mind and I wished it would close. I don't think my thoughts were anywhere near close to that. I didn't bash the show, for God's sake.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 4/27/05 at 11:42 PM

CattleCall Profile Photo
CattleCall
#26Emcee on Altar Boyz
Posted: 4/27/05 at 11:51pm

Emcee, if I implied in my post that you hated it, that was not my intention!

"I can't pay the bills yet, 'cause I have no skills yet. The world is a big scary place." - Avenue Q

luvtheEmcee
#27Emcee on Altar Boyz
Posted: 4/27/05 at 11:54pm

It's okay! It's more of a general sense I'm getting from this overwhelming reaction. I love that it has so much support, but I really didn't mean to stir up trouble. I wanted to like it!

CattleCall Profile Photo
CattleCall
#28Emcee on Altar Boyz
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:01am

Emcee, if you didn't want to stir up trouble, you certainly picked the wrong show not to love!! We Altar Boyz fans are nuts!

"I can't pay the bills yet, 'cause I have no skills yet. The world is a big scary place." - Avenue Q

luvtheEmcee
#29Emcee on Altar Boyz
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:05am

I understand. There's quite a bit of nut in me. Emcee on Altar Boyz Just find someone who doesn't like Adam. Emcee on Altar Boyz

Updated On: 4/28/05 at 12:05 AM

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#30Emcee on Altar Boyz
Posted: 4/28/05 at 12:09am

I loved this show. I liked the way it was loud and upbeat.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#31Emcee on Altar Boyz
Posted: 4/28/05 at 4:48pm

My, how this thread has grown since I was last online!

I'm sorry guys, but I didn't post this review with any mean spirit in mind. I don't wish bad things on the show or those that love it - I just clearly and simply posted my opinion of the show. Anyone who has a problem with me because of what I wrote about this show really needs to get your head out of your rear end.

Al Dente: Get off your old, tiresome high horse! What do you mean "If you don't get the camp value behind the religious songs, you don't get satire?" Believe it or not, I absolutely understand the camp value behind the songs. Anna Nicole Smith or Christ's sake would get the camp value behind the songs, and the show as a whole. I giggled here and there, but thought nothing was particularly fresh or new. The first couple songs were amusing, but then it turned into them beating a weak and dying horse. That's all I'm saying. I understood the jokes, stop trying to find a reasoning being my dislike of the show.

Again, I don't understand why my negative review of this show seems to have been taken so personally. By telling me that I'm the only one that didn't like it, and hundreds of other people love it doesn't make my opinion any less vaild, or yours any MORE valid. Obviously I knew when writing this review that I was in the minority...but for that reason should I not have posted it?

Why is it that whenever the worst shows get positive reviews on this board, the reviewers are applauded, and when someone posts a negative review, it turns personal and people begin to dis-credit the opinions of others. I don't understand. This one negative review will not lead to the demise of the Altar Boyz as we know it...relax, all.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#32Emcee on Altar Boyz
Posted: 4/28/05 at 4:50pm

I loathed EVERYTHING about this show.

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#33Emcee on Altar Boyz
Posted: 4/28/05 at 4:58pm

MEF, you loathed everything? Including those absolutely precious lamb puppets?

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

munkustrap178
#34Emcee on Altar Boyz
Posted: 4/28/05 at 5:04pm

Nice, mef, I knew we'd agree.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Elizabeth_DeBris
#35Emcee on Altar Boyz
Posted: 4/28/05 at 5:25pm

MEF: I'm assuming since you didn't support your rather strong statement about the show with any details, your reasons are the same as Munk's. Is that correct? I didn't intend for that to sound bitchy- I'm just curious, because I don't think there's a lot (if anything) that I don't like about it, personally. I kinda want to see the opposing viewpoint, just so I know where you're coming from. Emcee on Altar Boyz

"Why is it that whenever the worst shows get positive reviews on this board, the reviewers are applauded, and when someone posts a negative review, it turns personal and people begin to dis-credit the opinions of others."

I didn't think they (people who enjoyed a show most people didn't like) WERE applauded. Quite the opposite, really. If someone came on, now and wrote a glowing review of Brooklyn, or Good Vibrations (I know it closed- this is hypothetical), a lot of people would probably dismiss them as a "shill" almost immediately. Maybe I haven't been reading the right threads...?

However, you do have a very valid point about people "dis-crediting the opinions of others" when they don't enjoy a generally well-liked show. I don't think that's really happening here (the majority of the posters here haven't said anything that implied they would no longer consider you or your opinions to be worth hearing), fortunately, but it has happened.

Anyway, to each his own. I shall be fangirling (yes, that's a word now) over the sound clips on the ABz website, if anyone needs me. Emcee on Altar Boyz

carymetorent2 Profile Photo
carymetorent2
#36Emcee on Altar Boyz
Posted: 4/28/05 at 5:49pm

Sorry if you felt attacked Emcee or anyone, that wasn't what i was trying to do. :)

"Less Of A Marilyn, More Of A Jackie" www.richardhblake.com

InfiniteGirl Profile Photo
InfiniteGirl
#37Emcee on Altar Boyz
Posted: 4/28/05 at 6:50pm

What part does expectation play in how we react to a show?

I saw Altar Boyz in March, had no idea what I was going to see, and loved it - thought it was funny, engaging, and full of surprise and heart.

Saw Spelling Bee the next night fully expecting to love it to pieces (I ADORE all things Finn, and I am a former 8th grade State Speller, so that's two reasons to have the night of my life). I came out going, "ehh". There were some good laughs but not much to carry with me past that night.

Same with Wicked. Wanted the transformative theater experience I'd read so much about here. Walked out thinking "Wow that was a big set".

Had my show-to-expectation ratios been reversed would my reactions change?

I love to see things before I know what they are.

melissa errico fan
#38Meffie on ALTAR BOYZ
Posted: 4/28/05 at 8:55pm

"MEF: I'm assuming since you didn't support your rather strong statement about the show with any details, your reasons are the same as Munk's. Is that correct? I didn't intend for that to sound bitchy- I'm just curious, because I don't think there's a lot (if anything) that I don't like about it, personally. I kinda want to see the opposing viewpoint, just so I know where you're coming from."

Yes, I agree with pretty much everything Munk said. I never posted a full review on the show here, but if I did, it would be along the lines of what Munk said.

munkustrap178
#39Meffie on ALTAR BOYZ
Posted: 4/28/05 at 8:58pm

Which is why you're my straight male soulmate.

melissa errico fan
#40Meffie on ALTAR BOYZ
Posted: 4/28/05 at 9:04pm

LOL Meffie on ALTAR BOYZ

ButtonstheClown Profile Photo
ButtonstheClown
#41Meffie on ALTAR BOYZ
Posted: 4/28/05 at 9:08pm

Thanks for your review, made me think.

Silence seemed the only way. Now I understand it's cost.

Elizabeth_DeBris
#42Meffie on ALTAR BOYZ
Posted: 4/28/05 at 9:38pm

Mkay. Meffie on ALTAR BOYZ Like I said: just wondering.

Videos