broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#25re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/12/06 at 11:47am

yea I was considering applying here, but wasn't sure it looks great though

mrsparker
#26re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/13/06 at 11:06am

Director David Lynch went to UArts in Philly. He has been quoted as saying that living in Philly helped him develop his cinematic vision, i.e. his penchant for dark, surreal incongruity.

Speaking as someome who lives and works in Philly, there is no better place to go to school! It is a wonderful city just bursting with great theater, world-class museums, awesome restaurants and nightlife. You can walk everywhere downtown. As for the people here, well, we're real and we're spectacular.

UArts is right on Broad Street's Avenue of the Arts. Great location, in walking distance to everything you want to be a part of.

Criticism is prejudice made plausible. -- H.L. Mencken

Jazzysuite82
#27re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/13/06 at 11:52am

HEy I actually went to Uarts. I actually know Tallia and Vanessa and a bunch of other people mentioned. I had a great time there. I got a chance to do a lot of things I couldn't at another school. If anyone wants specifics private. I don't know what people are talking about going to a "real school". What does that mean? Uarts actually has crappy Liberal Arts classes. They def don't want really smart bad actors. Trash your info is wrong. I went to school with people who had scores of 800 on their SAT's. They were brilliant actors though. Hey I'm working. I'm not waiting tables and I've already done 5 professional Sondheim shows, plus some new works. That's the great thing about Philly. The theatre scene is pretty nice for new actors. you can't get that as much in Cincinatti or even NY. I know plenty of people who went to school in NY and haven't done a professional show yet. Anyway if you have questions prvt me.

astonishing1985 Profile Photo
astonishing1985
#28re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/13/06 at 11:55am

Well LaChanze went there and she is in The Color Purple and was in Once on this Island.
The reason though that not a lot of people are doing tours or on Broadway is that it is a relatively new program and is still trying to prove itself. I went to visit there in December and loved the school, the only thing I didn't like was Philadelphia. And from what I've heard their shows are amazing and I saw the theatre and it was beautiful

Hartt School class of 2010 ;-)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#29re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/13/06 at 12:08pm

Best of luck! Since there are people from Philly responding, I would like to know if the Society Hill Playhouse is still around. I am from Philly (Live in Denver now) and I attended their program in 1978-79. We had to audition and they picked 40 people out of a few thousand to study there.

Just give the world Love.

Jazzysuite82
#30re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/13/06 at 12:13pm

Yup the playhouse is still there from what I remember. They have shows there. I know nothing about anything they do though. It's a great place to put up a cabaret.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#31re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/13/06 at 12:26pm

I had a blast and learned so much there. I ended up with the lead in the show for that year. If you are ever in the theatre, they usually have posters from all of the student shows up on the walls. If you see one for Magical Mystery Tour, that was the one I was in!

Just give the world Love.

mrsparker
#32re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/13/06 at 3:16pm

The Society Hill Playhouse has been running Menopause The Musical for a year or more now.

Criticism is prejudice made plausible. -- H.L. Mencken

MerebLookin4U Profile Photo
MerebLookin4U
#33re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/13/06 at 4:25pm

WOO HOO! Another UARTS lad go for it. I went there. re: UArts in Philly Musical Theatre. We can talk. Email me re: UArts in Philly But also, a lovely girl named TALLIA BRINSON (last year's Mimi on NetWorks Nat'l Tour) went there and seriously just graduated and got the tour. Can't wait to see her one day on Broadway.

MerebLookin4U Profile Photo
MerebLookin4U
#34re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/13/06 at 4:25pm

WOO HOO! Another UARTS lad go for it. I went there. re: UArts in Philly Musical Theatre. We can talk. Email me re: UArts in Philly But also, a lovely girl named TALLIA BRINSON (last year's Mimi on NetWorks Nat'l Tour) went there and seriously just graduated and got the tour. Can't wait to see her one day on Broadway.

champzboy Profile Photo
champzboy
#35re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/13/06 at 8:12pm

yeah...I am so excited to start! i am glad some ppl are finally giving UARTS the respect it deserves. its an amazing program and I am def looking forward to beginning my journey towards that BFA! re: UArts in Philly

waddledee524 Profile Photo
waddledee524
#36re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/13/06 at 10:11pm

My aunt works there, it's a fantastic school.

Hear the words I sing: war's a horrid thing. So, I sing sing sing... Ding a ling a ling.

shugalpum
#37re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/13/06 at 11:47pm

I'm a senior dance major at Uarts and I've really enjoyed my experience! The reason you haven't heard a lot about it is because the school is still fairly new and the programs are very up and coming. The quality of the dance program has grown tenfold since I came as a freshman. Every year more and more graduates leave with a job. The city is wonderful and its gotten a lot safer. There are new theaters and condos being built all the time. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me!!

champzboy Profile Photo
champzboy
#38re: UArts in Philly
Posted: 2/15/06 at 5:06pm

thats awesome! yay UARTS

Videos